JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun for Speed Steel?

• XDm in 9mm

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 10/22 with optic

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Buckmark or Ruger handgun

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • carrots

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hi there,

I've been shooting USPSA for a couple years now and have been thinking about adding Speed Steel to the mix (I know, most with sense go the other way around). In looking up the differences, I see that rim-fire is allowed. While sense would dictate I come and shoot my XDm in 9 that I already use, as a cheap old guy, I was thinking that I could save some ammo dough by shooting 22 considering it seems to be in steady supply right now and, ahem, I have a bit from my own hoarding during the drought. My 10/22 has a scope mounted but I see that scopes wouldn't be legal but a red-dot optic would. On the other hand, since I prefer handguns I might pop for a Buckmark or a Ruger Mark whatever-the-latest is. Input from those who shoot both and which direction you suggest, please. Poll for quick and easy opinions.

What ever gun you use, have fun.

Reason to use your USPSA rig - cause you know it and basics are basics. There are a number of USPSA folks who shoot steel at TC.
Reason to use 22 - cause it's available, and fun.
Reason to run both .... Many will run a pistol and a carbine.
reason not to run 2 - extra stuff you are carrying around.

Center fire pistol comes out of a holster
The 22 low ready. Although you can draw a 22 if you prefer.

Find a club, shoot a match or two. There is no reason to get locked in.

I have shot both a .22 and a 9mm. I like both and don't really have a preference. I tend to use the 9mm because I like getting the practice with it. But at the last match I shot .22 with a red dot and forgot how much fun it was, also the fact that I don't have to worry about not seeing the sights (an affliction of old age :( ).
I would bring your XDM first and see what you think. You can always purchase a .22 later if you decide.

... My 10/22 has a scope mounted but I see that scopes wouldn't be legal [emphasis added] but a red-dot optic would...

Not correct (bold portion of the above quote) for the TCGC speed steel match (it may be correct for some *other* match, but I haven't heard of this before). Check here: Match Info – ORSS.org scroll down to Divisions, and check Rimfire Carbine Open.

Carrots are good.

Last Edited:
@mcfoto - if you do come up to TC, apparently Squad 4 is the place to be. Or is the one to avoid. - see other threads.

By my count - June 4th. ( first Sunday of every month )

The May match, I believe, has already sold out.

@mcfoto - if you do come up to TC, apparently Squad 4 is the place to be. Or is the one to avoid. - see other threads.

By my count - June 4th. ( first Sunday of every month )

The May match, I believe, has already sold out.

Cool. Is it normal to sell out or is because you're doing a Man of Steel?

Looks like there are still a couple openings on a few of the squads.

The first USPSA match I showed up to turned out to be a State Championship. I observed ...

I'll wait for a club match. I've shot at Albany on occasion so I might check out their match too. Although, you guys sound a lot more fun!

The first USPSA match I showed up to turned out to be a State Championship. I observed ...

I'll wait for a club match. I've shot at Albany on occasion so I might check out their match too. Although, you guys sound a lot more fun!
We are a lot more fun! MOS is not more difficult than the normal matches, there is just more stages, lunch, and a chance to win things (by drawing, not skill, lucky for me!)

I would go to one first and see what it's like before buying another gun. That way you get a chance to see what others are shooting and how they do. Nice part is that you can get plenty of practice with whatever platform you choose, and it's lots of fun.

Speed steel in Albany is the 4th Sunday of every month.

I would come out and watch MOS, then join us for the June match. I would also recommend your XDm, as you are already used to competing with it.

Please note that if any of your guns have a manual safety then they must be used. That can really slow you down if you are not well versed in their use.

I have ran something in each division at least once and enjoyed that flexibility, though that has been diminished significantly due to the recent rule change requiring the use of the safety.

Being a lefty means I'm at a disadvantage right out the gate if running a 10/22 or my S&W Victory. My 9mm AR is doable with a stock safety but an ambi one would be better. So I prefer to just run my M&P 9mm and not have to monkey with using the safety. That's my .02

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads