Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which first semi-auto rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Wenis, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I'm selling my first car and will have some money to spend on a semi-auto rifle. I want a quality rifle $2500 or less, in 5.56 or .308. I tend to lean toward the manufactures who have been around awhile or milspec because I don't sell guns once I've bought them. Any input would be great?

1. Colt LE6940 (5.56)

2. Springfield M1A (.308)
    AA9628x.gif

3. Armalite AR-10 (.308)

4. Something else?

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Define your mission first and let it dicated your choice of tools. What is it you inted to do? Unless you have no particular mission/purpose then it is moot. Understand the mission first, then selecting the best tools to help you accomplsh it will generally become obvious.

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

For a 1st, #1.

The AR15 is the most supported rifle platform on the planet.

BUT...( and I'll catch flak for this...) I would go with something other than Colt IF you plan on upgrading in the future, as colts are not "mil spec". ( trigger pins are different size for one...) This limits you to Colt specific parts when you go to change stuff.

Any of the well known manufacturers ( Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River, ect...) would be a good platform to start with.

After that.....AR10!!! I played with a 16" tonight....me want!!!

4. 4th_point

4th_point Hillsboro Member

I agree with OFADAN... you need to figure out what you want to do with the rifle first. Shortrange blaster? If so, AR15 will be cheaper to shoot. Hopefully you already have a 10/22!!!

Or, do you want to do more precision shooting? An AR15 carbine can be made to be a precision rifle, but they are well suited for other duties. Long varmint rigs (i.e. 24" upper) can be very good for target shooting, but are heavy and cumbersome for shortrange use.

If you are serious about a 308 and want a carbine, I would consider the AP4. Mine was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot. 5/8" groups at 200 yards, with cheap factory ammo. It was a tack driver. But, with a 16" barrel just realize its more like a 300 Savage in power.

I disagree with the comment about Colts not being mil-spec. This is about the farthest from the truth depending on which models and companies you compare. But to each, their own!:thumbup:

5. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

If I bought a 308, I would get an AR-15 down the road. More than likely, I will own a version of all three eventually, at least an AR-15 and an M1A. My purpose is a defensive weapon under 300 yards, but more likely, just to enjoy shooting it. That's why I am suggesting the 16" M1A, because I'll also purchase a bolt .308 or .300 winmag down the road for longer target range.

I was under the assumption that the colt was milspec, am I wrong about this?

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Colt switched to a non-standard pin size for the trigger and hammer pins, as well as other changes ( sear block, carrier, ect.. ) in the late 80's. These are not "mil spec". I am NOT implying Colt is junk, if that's what you are reading. What it means for the average person is that they will be stuck with Colt specific parts when they want to upgrade, which will cost more and aren't as readily available.

7. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

M1A

To me, a $2500 AR-15 looks just like an $800 AR-15.

8. Randini

Randini Salem Member

+1 on the M1A it will do all you want and more !!

9. Andy

Andy Aurora, OR Active Member

I agree!

10. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

You might want to read up at www.fultonarmory.com before you buy an M1A. That said, I am very happy with my Springfield National Match M1A.

11. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

M1A - of course, you could always get an M1 Garand in .308 as well... :D

12. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Thats true Boo the only ar15 type rifle that is mil spec is a M16 :thumbup:

13. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I'm in the M1-A camp. It would be my first choice for a semi-auto rifle. Later I might add a Mini-14 or M-4 knockoff.

14. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

DSA FN-FAL. Cheap mags, cheap parts, easy to work on. Reliable gas system. Easy to maintain. Accurate. Lots of options for stocks, grips. Easy to mount a scope. I could go on and on. I have lots of semi auto ar's and M1A, Garand, ect. The Fals I have I would count my life on. All the others are just cool to have.

15. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

+1. Your Del Ton $750 Ar-15 packages that you have on special (I've had one for about a year) also look and shoot just like the expensive ones, MOA groups and all.

I wouldn't look at spending "real money" until I started looking at AR-10's and even then it would be about 1/2 of that $2500.

$.02.

16. rudedog04

rudedog04 oregon-roseburg Member

nice in a 308

17. mike sr.

mike sr. the great tax me state: Nebr Member

From rifle above another tid-bit pix; 308 will do everything a .223 can do and do it better!!!:

18. Seattle206

Seattle206 Beacon Hill Member

thats easy, m1a all the way! all-time classic.

19. Visceral

Visceral Portland, OR Member

Yeah... the "what are you going to do with it?" is really important.

My first semi was a DPMS LR-308. It's still my absolute "go to gun", and I'll even be taking it elk hunting. That being said, it's NOT light, and if I had a second .308 (I love that caliber), I'd probably have a lighter LR-308 ;)

20. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

M!A

I built mine from scratch on A Spfd. Recv'r. using mostly TRW parts. Took a long time and lots of 1999 $$$$ BUT I found I could shoot 2 1/4" four shot groups at 200 yards and I was most happy. It is accurate and a hoot to shoot; a classic to boot.
    You will never regret it, I suggest the standard BBl. length SS. Buy Wood stock;;; then find Fred's Stocks and paint and bed your own fiberglass...
    Good Luck My .02