JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Working in a gun store, I would often have people come up and say: "I need some bullets for my 38, or 30-30," or, sometimes, "for my SHOTGUN!" I'd ask: "you mean cartridges (or shot shells?" And the answer was usually: "I said I want some bullets to shoot!" I finally learned NOT to even try to correct these types of people.

You got it:s0155:

My other peeves are the claims that an AK-47 can shoot through an engine block... also, people who think that a hollowpoint will go through a vest.

totally going OT with this, but I am also not liking the 9mm vs 40/45 threads on gun boards... where people claim that a 9mm will simply "piss off" an attacker.

I never saw anybody head-shot with a 9mm who was 'pissed off'.

Just dead.

tac

Over here in UK, the use of the term 'bullet head' or just 'heads'.

And misuse of terminology, as in 'what grain of a bullet' or 'do I need to use bigger grains?'...

Small things, true, but they add up.

tac

I never saw anybody head-shot with a 9mm who was 'pissed off'.

Just dead.

tac

+1.

Everything has been mentioned before but my biggest piece of sand in my sack is the overuse of 'tactical'. Everything today is tactical: shoe laces, underwear, ball caps, sun glasses, chewing gum and what's next, condoms?

The next biggest annoyance of mine is today we have these johnny come lately's entering into the world of firearms with their only goal is to use what the 'operators' are using. How about learning to use a firearm safely and accurately before worrying what little do-dad is going to offset your flashlight-2.5x40,000 red dot , MP-3 player at 45 degrees so it won't interfere your sight picture at 25 meters while dumping 30 rounds into a target and wearing the latest comic book guy kit that they refuse to get dirty.

Clowns. :rolleyes:

One of the terms I hate the most is "lost".
It's not lost its laying out there in the grass with the rest of them....:)

also "missed a pair".
Trust me I don't miss it at all, in-fact I'm glad it's gone.

Clip instead of magazine is my biggest annoyance. Most other slang terms, such as shotty, strapped, etc. I've never heard the term gat before, is it short for Gatling gun?

I use the term rounds, but then again I was indoctrinated by 6 years in the Navy. We used rounds for everything from the M9 Berettas to the 76mm naval gun. Nobody said bullet unless they were talking about the little metal piece that is propelled towards the target.

In that same regard, I also disagree with Benny. I most definitely carry a weapon, a weapon which is designed to kill and destroy, but one which may be necessary to defend myself, my home, or my nation. It is a sobering thought that we should never forget. Which is why I hate it when people refer to hunting as a "sport" and that many firearm related stuff is kept in the "sporting goods" section of stores. I hunt for food, not for trophies. I know I am a minority with this perspective and will probably anger a few people by saying it, including some of my friends if they were to see this post.

Lastly, the incorrect pronunciation of the French word sabot. The French pronounce it with a soft "a" and the "t" is silent, almost like "suh'bo" and the U.S. military Americanization of the word is "SAY-bo" (the "t" is still silent), which is also correct, but most people I hear pronounce it "SAB-butt", which is most definitely incorrect. I have met very few people in the military and especially in the civilian world who pronounce it correctly. It grates on me, but I almost never say anything, because it is not a big enough deal to correct someone on.

I also agree with the overuse of the words like "Tactical" and all of the macho advertisements for basic gear. I intentionally avoid using any of that stuff. My father taught me that in Vietnam 90% of the soldiers accounted for 10% of the enemy casualties and 10% accounted for the other 90%. He always said that he was more afraid of some old timer with an unadorned weather worn rifle than he ever was of some young kid with fancy combat gear and a shiny new automatic rifle.

Oh man! This thread had me cracking up. Partly due to the terms people use, and partly because some people seem to get so upset about the whole thing. :s0131: You can call it whatever you want, as long as you don't point it at me. :)

Terms used by the media and the Brady-types already mentioned like "assault weapon", "gun-toting", "cop-killer bullet", and others like "gunman", "arsenal", "high powered", "plastic guns", "automatic", "Sat Night Specials", "high capacity", "non-sporting purposes", "gun violence".

These terms are meant to depict firearms themselves (especially handguns) as inherently evil and to characterize anyone associated with guns (especially private citizens) as a potential menace to the greater good. They are politically charged, intentionally used, and, as such, offensive. So in other words, these kinds of words amount to slurs.

I don't have a problem with clip vs mag, silly gangbanger slang, and other foolish expressions that amount to ordinary and harmless ignorance.

How many people here remember that an Ak-47 used to be known as an Aks. Then in 1987 someguy shot up a schoolyard in Stockton, Ca and the media idenified his Aks as an Ak-47. The media totally jumped on this anti-gun ship and would not correct itself. Then everyone wanted an Ak-47 and the manafactures sucummed and repackaged the weapons as an Ak-47.

Is the .223/5.56 really a high power cartridge? Compare it to a real hunting round.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top