JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a follow up to my last thread which has morphed into a monster I have decided to NOT to hunt deer on the west "wet" side of oregon and to put in for controlled hunts in eastern Oregon. Having only been over to Bend twice, I have very little experience on that side of the mountains. Without giving out your secret areas. What national forests or areas would you recommend I put in for? I am trying to stay north and central Oregon. That way I can scout periodically before the season.

im not too familiar with central oregon. i hunt in eastern oregon for deer or, if i get my 615 willamette tag(additional deer tag) as well, i hunt in keizer. lol yeah, just outside the city limit.

alot of guys put in for the metolious unit but you wont get that tag unless you have 5-6 preferance points. you could always bow hunt and hunt the metolius but you'll run into a lot of hunters.

i know guys that like the high cascade tag which basically allows you to rifle hunt during bow season but only in a few areas of the cascades. if you dont harvest a deer during that hunt then your general deer tag is still good.

i say take a week off of work and put in for an eastern oregon tag in murders creek, ochoco, northside or one of those units.

Last Edited:
you probably wont get a tag your first time applying. I'm not certain what the frequency is since I haven't applied in several years, I think its like every 2 or 3...?

sorry to scare you off of the wet side...

problem with east side is drawing tags and proximity for scouting, takes several years to find your secret spot. But its easier to hunt out there cause its not as wet and the forest is more open country.

I have a friend that puts in for a elk tag every year near prineville. On average he goes every other year. He says the hunting is great and usually between 8 of them at least half come back with an elk.

In my world I would take those odds;)

I have a friend that puts in for a elk tag every year near prineville. On average he goes every other year. He says the hunting is great and usually between 8 of them at least half come back with an elk.

In my world I would take those odds;)
I still plan on hunting elk on the wet side this year and I know it will be hard but dammit I wanna do it.

Go to Idaho; buy one tag, get the 2nd tag half price....:D

Oregon: Put in a real tough unit to draw for your first choice; build points while you wait 4 or 5 years. Maybe luck out for 2nd+ choices.

The 119A is a good last choice for deer IMO; some of them high cascade bucks are Mule Deer... :cool: Hunt/Glass the East slopes at dawn.

With the 119A tag as a last choice, you get in the woods earlier (where most of us want to be), you would be able to hunt upland game, the tag rolls-over to "Western" if you do not fill it, and it doesn't hurt your points.

Buy breakfast for somebody knowledgeable; get their advice FtF.

Go to Idaho; buy one tag, get the 2nd tag half price....:D

Oregon: Put in a real tough unit to draw for your first choice; build points while you wait 4 or 5 years. Maybe luck out for 2nd+ choices.

The 119A is a good last choice for deer IMO; some of them high cascade bucks are Mule Deer... :cool: Hunt/Glass the East slopes at dawn.

With the 119A tag as a last choice, you get in the woods earlier (where most of us want to be), you would be able to hunt upland game, the tag rolls-over to "Western" if you do not fill it, and it doesn't hurt your points.

Buy breakfast for somebody knowledgeable; get their advice FtF.
Can I buy you a beer instead?

I agree with Oathkeeper1775, apply for the hunt unit you want, not what your most likely to get. Most likely you wont get your first choice but every few years, (might get lucky on 2nd choices too).

The guys that tell you they get their tags every year are not doing it alone... large party hunts combine preference points in their favor and many in the group miss a year or two randomly and that rotation keeps some points in the party every year. Many times they rotate with bow hunting on the years they don't draw rifle tags. Some have access to private lands in less popular units. If your going at this alone, or even with 2 people, you wont get a tag every year... or shall we say more often than not. The best strategy Ive used is what Oathkeeper suggests and work the preference points in your favor with that High Cascade tag (which doubles as a western Oregon tag...). I used to put that as my second choice to have a better chance at getting it if I didn't draw my 1st choice. Same strategy for elk.

get used to hunting western Oregon deer in the off years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top