Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Landhawk Arms
Low Price Guns
Oregon Rifleworks
Defensive Arts
Sporting Systems
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Which can to use on a .22 WMR?

Which can to use on a .22 WMR?

• The 9㎜ one.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The 5.56㎜ one.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Try'em both and decide. Who knows?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • (fart) Wut wuz duh ques'on again?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) Guns are scary and bad! Silencers make me faint!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
So, I just placed an order for a .22 WMR carbine for the Mrs. Thankfully, it is already threaded. Which can should be used on said? A 9㎜ or 5.56one? The former will be lighter, the latter closer to bore diameter. Decisions, decisions.

The 9㎜ and 5.56㎜ ones I can take apart. The .22 one is sealed, but cleans up with a soak. So ... I lost my train of thought. :p

Reactions
Whichever one has the most internal volume will be the quietest. Bore diameter does not factor in as much as you would think it should. I was shooting a 17HMR rifle with a Silencerco Octane 45 on it and it was quieter than the Dead Air Mask 22 can. Of course the Octane 45 looked ridiculous on the rifle.

Working for an SOT with a ton of silencer inventory I get to play a lot with different cans. I know it sounds terrible and monotonous but someone has to do it right???

Dyjital

Reactions
  • Fight For Your Right
  • Law Around Here
  • Woke Up Like This
I have a can that will pass 9mm through and there is no difference when using that or the 22 can.

my 9mm is threaded 1/2 x 28 so it's easy and quick to swap.

AMT

Reactions
Do you have another "host" (threaded barreled 9mm or 5.56) that the can can be swapped over to?

Ie: you have no threaded 9mm, but you do have a "spare" threaded 5.56. Why get one that fits a 9mm, but no threaded 9mm barrel?

If you have both, flip a coin. :s0155:

Doh, I just googled it, and our .22LR can is rated for .22 WMR, so that is a third option. :s0155:
This turned out not to be the case; they make some of that model that does both, but not all. Not going to risk it.

Do you have another "host" (threaded barreled 9mm or 5.56) that the can can be swapped over to?

Ie: you have no threaded 9mm, but you do have a "spare" threaded 5.56. Why get one that fits a 9mm, but no threaded 9mm barrel?

If you have both, flip a coin. :s0155:
Not sure I follow. At the present, the 9 does duty on a .32 ACP SBR and .38 Special lever-action. The 5.56 on an AR-15 SBR and standard Mini-14. So they can be swapped about. :)

The 5.56 will be bigger/heavier and I will need to acquire an adapter; but none of those are deal breakers.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Speed Steel @ Tri-County
Tri-County Gun Club
13050 SW Tonquin Rd, Sherwood, OR 97140, USA
IDPA @ Tri-County
Tri-County Gun Club
13050 SW Tonquin Rd, Sherwood, OR 97140, USA
Casade Mountain Man Show...
Casade Mountain Man Show
The Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave SE, Monroe, WA 98272, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    Bought two guns from Curts over the past 5yrs and quite a few accessories. They have more of the really nice high-end products. I live on the...
    • Helocat
  • Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    Great place good people, transfer fee is a joke.
    • FireArm
  • Northwest Armory - Milwaukie
    3.00 star(s)
    I used to go in often, even when the store is empty its hard to get someone to help, they say just a sec and never come back to you, or are having...
    • FireArm
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop and decent selection, good for a hunting rifle or Glock , hit or miss on just about everything else.
    • FireArm
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place, people and service.
    • FireArm

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS