JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which can to use on a .22 WMR?

• The 9㎜ one.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • The 5.56㎜ one.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Try'em both and decide. Who knows?

• (fart) Wut wuz duh ques'on again?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) Guns are scary and bad! Silencers make me faint!

• Total voters
So, I just placed an order for a .22 WMR carbine for the Mrs. Thankfully, it is already threaded. Which can should be used on said? A 9㎜ or 5.56one? The former will be lighter, the latter closer to bore diameter. Decisions, decisions.

Whichever one has the most internal volume will be the quietest. Bore diameter does not factor in as much as you would think it should. I was shooting a 17HMR rifle with a Silencerco Octane 45 on it and it was quieter than the Dead Air Mask 22 can. Of course the Octane 45 looked ridiculous on the rifle.

Working for an SOT with a ton of silencer inventory I get to play a lot with different cans. I know it sounds terrible and monotonous but someone has to do it right???

I'd run my 22 can on a 22wmr, I use said can on 17 hmr too.

I've ran my 9mm on 22 and 17. Just as quiet.

I have a can that will pass 9mm through and there is no difference when using that or the 22 can.

my 9mm is threaded 1/2 x 28 so it's easy and quick to swap.

Do you have another "host" (threaded barreled 9mm or 5.56) that the can can be swapped over to?

Ie: you have no threaded 9mm, but you do have a "spare" threaded 5.56. Why get one that fits a 9mm, but no threaded 9mm barrel?

If you have both, flip a coin. :s0155:

Doh, I just googled it, and our .22LR can is rated for .22 WMR, so that is a third option. :s0155:

This turned out not to be the case; they make some of that model that does both, but not all. Not going to risk it.

Do you have another "host" (threaded barreled 9mm or 5.56) that the can can be swapped over to?

Ie: you have no threaded 9mm, but you do have a "spare" threaded 5.56. Why get one that fits a 9mm, but no threaded 9mm barrel?

If you have both, flip a coin. :s0155:

Not sure I follow. At the present, the 9 does duty on a .32 ACP SBR and .38 Special lever-action. The 5.56 on an AR-15 SBR and standard Mini-14. So they can be swapped about. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top