JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am debating between three cans.

1) silencerco hybrid 46
2) rugged obsedian 45
3) bowers 458

it will be mainly for a 45/70 but I may build socom 458 in the future also.

With the obsidian being designed for pistol use primarily, I have read that it doesn't have the volume necessary to be a great big bore rifle can. It is certainly rated for big bore rifle use if you follow the parameters that Rugged has established for it. Just shouldn't expect great sound suppression. If big bore rifle's are your primary purpose the Bowers and Silencerco cans are the ones I see frequently recommended vs. if you will primarily use the can on pistols and occasionally on a big bore rifle then the Obsidian gets the nod. Don't have first hand experience yet as my Obsidian is still in jail but I went with it because my primary purpose is to suppress 45 acp and 9mm with some 45/70 and 450 bushmaster on the side.

One more you might consider is the Bushwacker 46 from Griffin.

Only knock I have heard on the Bowers and Silencerco is that they are big cans.

I have a AAC Ti-Rant 45. It see's everything from 45acp F/A to 45/70.

Remember to disable the Nelson device when going to a rifle

With the obsidian being designed for pistol use primarily, I have read that it doesn't have the volume necessary to be a great big bore rifle can. It is certainly rated for big bore rifle use if you follow the parameters that Rugged has established for it. Just shouldn't expect great sound suppression. If big bore rifle's are your primary purpose the Bowers and Silencerco cans are the ones I see frequently recommended vs. if you will primarily use the can on pistols and occasionally on a big bore rifle then the Obsidian gets the nod. Don't have first hand experience yet as my Obsidian is still in jail but I went with it because my primary purpose is to suppress 45 acp and 9mm with some 45/70 and 450 bushmaster on the side.

One more you might consider is the Bushwacker 46 from Griffin.

Only knock I have heard on the Bowers and Silencerco is that they are big cans.
The griffin can doesn't have an adapter to the thread pitch I need as far as I can tell.

The Griffin is new enough there isn't a lot of data out there. From what I have seen it is right at that hearing safe threshold with full house 450 bushmaster, 141db. Shooting Surplus has it on sale right now for $686 and I have been tempted to give one a try.

If I was going to get a 45 diameter can, I'd get Griffin Bushwacker. User serviceable and rated up to 338.

Those that say you don't have to clean pistol cans, in my honest opinion, are full of it. They get massive amounts of crap in them. Not as fast as a rimfire, but definitely not something to disregard. The sealed cans like the Hybrid can be cleaned, but are much more difficult to do so compared to something with removable baffles.

Last week I ordered a Silencerco Hybrid 46 for $799. I'm expecting to get it to my dealer in 6 weeks or so. Then they will call me and we will start the paperwork. I went to J&B Firearms but they didn't have the suppressor shop kiosk. I assume they will be e-filing my paperwork. I already ordered a 9mm direct thread on and a 9mm front cap. Will get the extended three lug when I can find it. I plan on shooting mostly 9mm and .223 and if I ever thread my MAK90, I'll shoot the AK suppressed too.

Hopefully I'll have the can in my hands by the first quarter of 2021. Such BS I have to wait so long. This is my first can and a NFA item.

I'm still waiting on los Federales to approve said, but I ordered a Griffin Bushwacker for the reasons my friend @Reno referenced above.

So, maybe this is another one to consider. :s0155:

Did you get the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Bushwacker? The Gen 1 was only out for a couple months before they released the Gen 2 which has some significant updates from the posts I have seen.

Did you get the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Bushwacker? The Gen 1 was only out for a couple months before they released the Gen 2 which has some significant updates from the posts I have seen.

I honestly don't know. It was ordered at the very end of April and Form 3ed to the local FFL/SOT in early May. I confirmed the specs and that it would work with the primary carbine I wish to suppress.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top