JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW. Thank you for your service.
You're welcome. We did get paid for our labor, not much, though. As a private soldier in 1969, my starting pay was $112.00 per month and found. However, one of President Nixon's ideas was to modernize the US Army and head in the direction of an all-volunteer force. To that end, we received several pay raises during my time.

It was more like service than a job that happened to be military. The Vietnam war generation consisted of many sons of WW2 servicemen; "service" was still something that men did because it was required and your dad had done it. Now, I don't think that big of a wedge of the population "serves," therefore succeeding generations may not get the idea that it should be done.

Back to the M14 flash suppressor. I've mentioned previously that I don't like the length of it. Yet it's indespensible to the design as it also incorporates the front sight. There are shorter, optional suppressors on the market now. There is a fitting with just the front sight, no suppressor. Commonly called a "New York Front Sight." I don't know how much muzzle rise you'd experience without the M14 flash suppressor in place. Because due to the way the flutes in the suppressor are arranged, there may have been some muzzle brake function intended, however minor. The bottom of the suppressor between about four o'clock and eight o'clock is unfluted. I'd like to try out one of those NY Front Sights by Smith Enterprises, but they cost about $90 and I'm not that curious.

The Springfield Armory SOCOM's have a shorter barrel but come with a muzzle brake.

I'll have to dig a little, but there were, maybe still are a front sight that has a screw on flash hider/suppressor thread adapter for the current M-21 series. That might be just the ticket for ya!

Hummm.....and I don't recall talking about the "amount of bend" an abused barrel would be having before throwing your bullets clean off of the target at ______ yards.

IMHO. Don't abuse your rifle.

BUT, But, but........it's about the MISSION being #1. Yeah. A bent rifle barrel is nothing when the MISSION is #1? Awwwww......just get (pick up) a new rifle.

So speaking of rifles to pick up. Maybe someone might recall that movie scene (in We Were Soldiers Once) where the Sgt. Major spoke about having plenty of rifles to pick up?

Aloha, Mark

PS....from reading about the M16. Well.....don't use that prong flash suppressor and thin barrel, to pry on/open those metal straps on the C-ration cases/crates.

Last Edited:
My great uncle told me about his WWII experience. He killed more than a few Germans with the bayonet installed on his Garand and occasionally had to fire a cartridge to blow the body off the rifle for expediency. He never said the bayonet detached or said anything negative about the Garand.

I recently purchased a Bula Defense M14 Paratrooper with 19" Match barrel, I am mainly an AK guy, but I always wanted an M1A / M14 style battle rifle. I am also left handed but I prefer the charging handle on the right side... I chose the Bula over the Springfield as it has a forged receiver and is closer to the original MIL Spec. I just saw this thread and have learned a lot from the posts on here.

1680321970609.png

I recently purchased a Bula Defense M14 Paratrooper with 19" Match barrel, I am mainly an AK guy, but I always wanted an M1A / M14 style battle rifle. I am also left handed but I prefer the charging handle on the right side... I chose the Bula over the Springfield as it has a forged receiver and is closer to the original MIL Spec. I just saw this thread and have learned a lot from the posts on here.
FYI, AR's have charging handles, the M1 Garand, M14/M1a and AK have an operating rod.

Some rifles have a handle on their operating rod. Others have a handle connected to the bolt but not connected to the operating rod, if there is one.

Bruce

M16/AR uses a Charging Handle:
View attachment 1395523

M14/M1a uses an Operating Rod:

View attachment 1395524View attachment 1395525

The FAL uses a cocking handle:

View attachment 1395529 View attachment 1395530

Clear as mud?
Correct, a bolt cocking handle, non reciprocating, unless modified, which is stupid if you ask me! It's also in damn near the perfect location, other then the non folding bolt knob really digs into your back when slung, unless you carry it slung muzzle down ( which you should be any way) really, the best of the best in my book!

You're welcome. We did get paid for our labor, not much, though. As a private soldier in 1969, my starting pay was $112.00 per month and found. However, one of President Nixon's ideas was to modernize the US Army and head in the direction of an all-volunteer force. To that end, we received several pay raises during my time.

It was more like service than a job that happened to be military. The Vietnam war generation consisted of many sons of WW2 servicemen; "service" was still something that men did because it was required and your dad had done it. Now, I don't think that big of a wedge of the population "serves," therefore succeeding generations may not get the idea that it should be done.

Back to the M14 flash suppressor. I've mentioned previously that I don't like the length of it. Yet it's indespensible to the design as it also incorporates the front sight. There are shorter, optional suppressors on the market now. There is a fitting with just the front sight, no suppressor. Commonly called a "New York Front Sight." I don't know how much muzzle rise you'd experience without the M14 flash suppressor in place. Because due to the way the flutes in the suppressor are arranged, there may have been some muzzle brake function intended, however minor. The bottom of the suppressor between about four o'clock and eight o'clock is unfluted. I'd like to try out one of those NY Front Sights by Smith Enterprises, but they cost about $90 and I'm not that curious.

The Springfield Armory SOCOM's have a shorter barrel but come with a muzzle brake.
They also had a slip on muzzle brake for the 14. It's in the TM but I have never been able to find one. They tried to make the 14 E1 a replacement for the BAR but the cyclic rate was too high, walking or standing with the E1 could not be controlled. However there is some dynamics there that I have never been able to understand.
If you lay down and use the bipod, you can empty the clip in full auto and the gun will not move.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top