JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If were o my looking at the M-1 series, I gotta go with the Garand, i find it's a little more reliable and balanced. No issues with loading or feeding, and they run! I like the set up, and besides the limited 8 round enblok clips, it's never been an issue for me. I like the greater simplicity of the Garand, to be it's a better fighting rifle, less chances of getting damaged when used aggrssively! I also thing the M1A was a stop gap, politically motivated adaption to fill the need before a real design could be found, and while it offerd some well thought of improvements to the Garand, it was only ever second best to the Garand! I like it, but I also like the Garand, and would happily use ether on the range, but if I had to do it for real and had only those two to choose from, it's always going to be a Garand!

I also thing the M1A was a stop gap, politically motivated adaption to fill the need before a real design could be found, and while it offerd some well thought of improvements to the Garand, it was only ever second best to the Garand!
There was a real rifle presented to the U.S. They just thought it would be cheaper to go with the M14. And they demanded 7.62 NATO, even though realistically most people wouldn't have been capable of taking advantage of it.

The magazine-well issue is another non-starter, ya rock the mags in and with a bit of practice it is done without thinking, same as with the Kalash..

I still disagree based on experience. For the average know-nothing soldier of 1969-70 when I used the rifle, magazine insertion was more difficult than the design used on the M16, which was simply straight in, no fiddling about with it as with the M14. Many of the M14 rifles had seen lots of use, it's easier to install the mag on a well-worn M14 than say, a nice, new, crisp M1A. Sharper edges on the newer condition rifle. Back in the time I refer to, most soldiers of the moment weren't gun enthusiasts and it took more time for them to embrace using such things.

I'm reasonably well experienced with M1 Rifle, M14/M1A, and M16 type, I like them all for their own individual virtues.

FAL stuff isn't for me. We cannot all like the same thing. My dad used to say, "If we all liked the same thing, we'd all have the same wife and that would never work out."
If it is just for range/competition I agree, but then why worry about durability?

If it for use as a weapon.... Then "like" shouldn't enter really enter into it.

Good thing that the SCAR-17 isn't really like the FAL then, straight insert magazines instead of rock and lock and more AR-like controls.

I'm more of a FAL guy, always preferred the ergonomics of it. I had to get used to having the charging handle on the right for the AK and PSL, the FAL in general just came instinctively.

I never did like the SCAR, just couldn't get used to the ergos and that stock would pinch the heck out of ya if you were just the right size and shaped face, ever worse with a tactical beard!:( the 17 was slightly better, but didn' impress me! The AR .308 would have been better in my mind! They flat out refused to even hear the word AR when any discussion of new eifles ever came up! It got so predictable they would start every meeting with the " Forget the damn AR, ya all' ain' gettin um, Ever" me think some one whizzed in some one soup to get that kind of negative! Alas, the M14 did ok for the few times we needed it!

The FAL did good across the world... And served the Australians well in Vietnam. As a standard issue rifle (L1A1, semiauto only) and a LMG (L2A1).

The AR-10 and M14 weren't very popular in NATO.

We really liked our FAL the times we had them, especially the Para side folder stock, long barrel! You could keep it tucked up tight on your single point, and when needed, it was just as fast, and far longer legged then the AR! :cool: really wished they would have let us keep them! :( but ,no!:mad:

I own or have owned and used several "battle rifles", in addition to the AK and AR... off the top of my head, H&K 91, FAL, M1, M1A, FN49, CETME... have been thru a lot of them in my time. Ive sold or traded off all but the H&K and one FAL and one FN49.
The H&K is my "Go to hell" rifle and is tricked out with various accouterments, the FAL is close behind. The M1A was scoped and could "reach out and touch someone", as the saying was... If things ever get down to business, either the AK or AR will be my preference for one reason or another at this time in my life.. and there are a couple in my selection that are within reach, tricked out and ready to gitty-up go....
The SCAR or similar rifles are off the table for me.. no need for such and they are rather over-priced, in my book. I do sometimes miss the M1 I sold.. it had been set up for the .308/7.62X51, and as such it functioned flawlessly. Loved the sights on it, detested the "en bloc" clips, simply because the rifle won't operate without them.
Just my opinions, based on years of experience and multiple copies of most of the rifles mentioned. YMMV! :D

"ROBUST"

No need to speak caliber and it's effects upon a target.

Hummm.....so, do you remember that black and white movie where the recruits were thought team work in scaling a small wall? Yup. one guy would hold the rifle's butt while another would hold the rifle by it's barrel end. Then, they used the M1 as a sort of a step (ladder fashion) to help their buddies over the wall.

OK, Ok, ok....so, do you think that a modern rifle (skinny steel bbl, plastic and aluminum construction) would still shoot straight enough once that was done?

LOL.....yup, using a rifle like in that old film is probably not a really good idea today.

So, ROBUST? Maybe, due to the M1s construction, it would/could probably fair better, than the rifles that came after it.;)

Aloha, Mark

"ROBUST"

No need to speak caliber and it's effects upon a target.

Hummm.....so, do you remember that black and white movie where the recruits were thought team work in scaling a small wall? Yup. one guy would hold the rifle's butt while another would hold the rifle by it's barrel end. Then, they used the M1 as a sort of a step (ladder fashion) to help their buddies over the wall.

OK, Ok, ok....so, do you think that a modern rifle (skinny steel bbl, plastic and aluminum construction) would still shoot straight enough once that was done?

LOL.....yup, using a rifle like in that old film is probably not a really good idea today.

So, ROBUST? Maybe, due to the M1s construction, it would/could probably fair better, than the rifles that came after it.;)

Aloha, Mark

I'd take that bet. All I have to do is stand on my vert grip with the butt on the ground and still hit a target 2" at say 50 yards?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top