JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I have 5 AR15's and an AR10 and I have never had an AR15 jamb on me!"

whats a Jamb?

I just remember being in Basic Training at the range one day and my clean M16 (we all know the DI's will not let you get away with not cleaning your weapon) was jamming, I was hitting the forward assist pulling back the charge handle to get a round back in, the DI came took my M16 looked at it and just gave it back without saying anything, so I'am just going from that experience, if you like 'em buy 'em.

+1 for the Mini 14

Last Edited:
Just had to throw this in the mix.

M16 Mattel.jpg

Last Edited:
Might I suggest a Saiga .308? :s0131:

I don't know if there are any AK haters on this thread, Buuut:

I had a GREAT time converting mine. The picture is before I added my muzzle break and Krebs sight. Its an AK.. it NEVER jams.. she'll eat ANYTHING.. I consider it to be my best SHTF weapon. And the Saiga .308 with a muzzle break can be utilized as a somewhat decent hunting rifle. Although not considerably accurate, she gets the job done. :)

Just a thought.
Although, the .308 ammo gets a little pricey.

DSCI0016.jpg

I think .308 is the best all around gun for plinking, hunting, targets, competition and cost. I saw Winchester 7.62 14.99 a box and .223 is averaging 10 a box. Plus when you reload it gets real cheap. That's just my choice though.

For a cheap "stash" gun, SKS, with origional 10rd mag. No junky 30rd mags.
For the one I'ld count my life on, and take into battle, FN-FAL. Utterly reliable, .308 can drop an elk, or shoot through cinderblock. Fal mags are cheap, Fal parts are available. Adjustable gas system, makes for a softer shooting .308. Price of ammo... $.75 per round, .308. or $.35 per round for .223. Well its a wash, you have to shoot them twice, with .223, to equal 1 shot of .308.

The Mattel thing has always been in question. I've seen that pic floating around the net. Most people say it is phonied up. Colt and Armalite are the only actual mfgs of M16's in Nam. Mattel was just a legend, because of this. Mattel Maurader was sold as a toy durring Nam era.

Well, dang -

Now that all the Jacks and the low cards

Have been picked out of the deck,

How 'bout an Ace?

CZ VZ58 in 7.62 x 39

Very high quality Czech weapon, and

Those boys from Brno sure know how to build 'em.

isher

P1010373.jpg

I own ARs, AKs, and M1As. The M1A is my favorite. .308 is just a better round for combat. I give a nod to the FAL as well.

The premier M1A is probably Fulton Armory's - they're pretty spendy. Springfield Armory's is a good substitute.

AR-15s will be cheaper, and AK-47s cheaper still. Ammo for either is cheaper than .308. .308 is more flexible - for a long time, .308 was the standard military sniper round (still is in some armies), you can hunt with it, etc.

If you want to read something that is very informative, try Boston's Gun Bible. Covers the issue of which assault rifle thoroughly. Be advised that "Boston" is extremely opinionated and his book is a bit silly, since he goes to enormous ends to provide numerical proof of his opinions (subjective input, quantified, never equals objective output). However, it's a thorough read.

I like AR's personally and you can get parts, accessories, etc from anyone these days. SKS is a good system if you leave it alone (don't put a cheesy *** aftermarket 30 round mag on it, you'll have nothing but trouble). Mini 14's only work worth a bubblegum if you use the factory 20 round mags and aren't that accurate or reliable compared to an AR (at least in my opinion from owning both at one time). M14/M1A1 is a great way to go but expensive to shoot (ammo and mags). If you want to go .308, I'd consider picking up a PTR-91. Unfortunately sold my PTR-91K recently but they're the goods. Reliable, nice fit and finish (on par with H&K I'd say) and you can get good quality mags for like $5-10. Wish I still owned mine but I'd own another one and recommend one to anyone in a heartbeat. Only reason I sold it was I needed the cash and already had an M1A1 I couldn't bear to part with.

Reliability win = AK
Accuracy win = AR
Cal. no winner, does not matter, both have killed lots of people, well placed shots win.
Gizmos win = AR
Cal change win = AR

I have both and don't think you can go wrong with either. I have also had the VZ 58 mentioned and that is a very nice rifle. What you have to do is figure out which speaks to you and then buy it.

Me given the choice now of just one AR. It is my work rifle and I want to be good with what I have to work with, in case called to use it. Also the AR offers easy cal change and I have the Ruger SR 556 on the way and hope that helps with reliability.

Now what I really want is the new MASADA wish they would hurry up:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads