JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just as the title asks, which trigger do you guys prefer? standard milspec, milspec with a polish and some springs? drop in? any specific drop in? binary? single stage? two stage? dislikes?

i prefer two types of triggers. i prefer a milspec that i have polished and added JP springs to.sometimes i'll even add a setscrew up the grip screw hole to shorten the pull. i like doing this because its a significant improvement over a stardard milspec trigger and it is cheap to do...also, its fun and rewarding to be able to work on your own gun and say "i did this!"

i also prefer single stage flat bow drop in triggers. specifically the CMC 3.5 and the Rise Armament RA-434. out of those two, i like the CMC better. it has just the slightest amount of more reset than the RA allowing me personally to have more control. i have a CMC in a 5.56 build AR and a RA in my long range 6.5 grendel build.

the CMC is a very fast trigger IMO. it breaks like a candy cane and the reset is pleasent.

the RA is rated at 3.5lbs and may be lighter than that. the reset is one of the shortest ive ever felt and its also a really "candy cane" like break.

for the price, theyre hard to beat IMO.

originally, i had the RA in my LR308 but soon found out the reset was so short that upon recoil i would slightly move my finger forward allowing the trigger to fall forward onto its "drop safety" then having to pull the charging handle to reset the trigger. i put the stock trigger back in my LR308 after doing some polishing and JP springs in it.

the rise armament trigger works great in my 6.5 grendel because there is very little recoil during the shot and i am able to hold the trigger back after the shot then let it reset when im ready.

ive never been a fan of the 2 stage triggers. just never could get used to them or i just havent spent enough time with them. some feel great but just that 1st stage messes with me, i guess.

what do you guys like?

I've been turned in to a hopeless Geissele fanboy.
Honestly I didn't like two stage triggers either until I really got some time with one. I have one of those trigger jigs and I put a Geissele High Speed National Match trigger in one to play with all the adjustments etc and it became a $300 fidget device that I played with for hours when I watched TV or sat at my table at gun shows during the slow times.
I had it set to about an 8oz second stage so I had to really focus on not pulling trough It... it was cool, and I tried it in my SPR for a while, but it was too light. I realized the SSA-E s second stage is set perfect at just over a pound(3.5 total) so that's what I run in it now. For anything other than precision shooting, ALG ACT is great and even cheaper the QMS is awsome(ALG stands for Amy Lynn Geissele... Bills wife's company).... those are the only triggers I'll buy...
That said Im happy with a plain ol milspec in most cases. Ive tuned dozens from 5 up 7 or 8 pounds of grity nasyness, to a nice crisp 4 pounds with nothin but a 35cent 1/4x28x1/4 set screw and some blue loctite. Maybe some light polishing with an Arkansas stone.

One piece drop ins are cool looking and make for an easy install, but I wouldn't put them in anything you need to be reliable and easily serviceable with life and liberty on the line.
I've seen guys come into my local gun shop with issues that turn out to be caused by drop in triggers that they spent 2-3 hundred dollars on. Sometimes in order to get their impressive light pull, the hammer springs are too light to set off a primer. Problem is you can't just swap those springs out from your oops kit or bend the legs back for more power in the field to stay in the fight like you can a milspec, Or even a Geissele. Gotta send it in or void your warranty... lotta good a warranty would do in a firefight.
Just my 2 cents...

ive watched lots of videos on the geissele triggers. they look awesome and from what i understand, once youre familliar enough with the reset you just keep it at the second stage point for faster follow up shots. i was actually gonna buy one when they had that crazy good sale on them last year but i missed out... too much him/haw'n about it.

I may be the most boring man alive after this statement, but I prefer Milspec. Just something about being proficient with a standard issue rifle that does my heart well.

I've never seen the need for a fancy trigger either. I can barely tell the difference unless it's a big difference on the reset.
The difference of trigger reset on my Sig was night and day once I installed the SRT kit.
I will probably be more "trigger happy" if I had a rifle for big game, but milspec works fine for shooting bouncy balls and stationary clays.

I may be the most boring man alive after this statement, but I prefer Milspec. Just something about being proficient with a standard issue rifle that does my heart well.
that isnt a bad thing at all. its good to be able to pick any gun up and shoot it well. in a SHTF situation ya never know what you might come across.

Dang I am going to think on this. I have some of each and they all have there place IMHO.

I love the milspec because that is what I was used to in the military. I have two polished mil spec that are more crisp but a good milspec is just about the same after thousands of rounds. Again MHO.

I have a timney drop in, in my AR-10 and its crisp as he!! so for long range shots the 3.5 oz is perfect.

I've never seen the need for a fancy trigger either. I can barely tell the difference unless it's a big difference on the reset.
The difference of trigger reset on my Sig was night and day once I installed the SRT kit.
I will probably be more "trigger happy" if I had a rifle for big game, but milspec works fine for shooting bouncy balls and stationary clays.
ive found that i like no less than 3lbs for a hunting rifle trigger incase i fall,drop the rifle, get an enormous animal infront of me and accidentally touch one off... always practice good trigger discipline!

Dang I am going to think on this. I have some of each and they all have there place IMHO.

I love the milspec because that is what I was used to in the military. I have two polished mil spec that are more crisp but a good milspec is just about the same after thousands of rounds. Again MHO.

I have a timney drop in, in my AR-10 and its crisp as he!! so for long range shots the 3.5 oz is perfect.
how does it do under the recoil of the 308? i was having an issue with my RA trigger and ended up swapping it out. i even contacted RA about it and they OVERNIGHTED me a new trigger... once i realized it was due to the recoil i contacted them with feed back and offered to pay for the shipping. they said no worries, we like to take care of our customers!!

Last Edited:
how does it do under the recoil of the 308? i was having an issue with my RA trigger and ended up swapping it out. i even contacted RA about it and they OVERNIGHTED me a new trigger... once i realized it was due to the recoil i contacted them with feed back and offered to pay for the shipping. they said no worries, we like to take care of our customers!!

Next time we go to the range you will have to try it. I haven't had that issue what so ever.

I like the BCM PNT trigger and hammer set myself. Probably a step up from a mil-spec trigger with the coating. I also have a Spike's Tactical fire control on on right which I am assuming is just mil-spec.

Bravo Company Manufacturing PNT Trigger Assembly BCM-PNT-TA1

Spike's Tactical AR-15 Lower Parts Kit - Single Stage Trigger SLPK101

It you already a fire control group you can buy a lower parts kit minus the FCG:

Spike's Tactical Lower Parts Kit No Trigger Group SLPK100

You should post up these links in the parts kits thread under the semi auto section!:)

You had problems with the second one as well?
yeah in the 308. it runs 100% perfect in my 6.5 grendel. its because when i shoot rifles i hold the trigger back through the shot and let it click forward to reset after my bullet has made impact. the recoil of my 308 was causing me to just barely let off and then squeeze again causing the trigger to catch on its drop safety. on this trigger the reset is SOO short. i know its because of the recoil. it didnt happen every time in the 308 and it hasnt happened once with the 6.5 as it hardly recoils.

yeah in the 308. it runs 100% perfect in my 6.5 grendel. its because when i shoot rifles i hold the trigger back through the shot and let it click forward to reset after my bullet has made impact. the recoil of my 308 was causing me to just barely let off and then squeeze again causing the trigger to catch on its drop safety. on this trigger the reset is SOO short. i know its because of the recoil. it didnt happen every time in the 308 and it hasnt happened once with the 6.5 as it hardly recoils.

Interesting I will have to try it. I have never really paid attention to what my trigger finger does. I'm not sure if I hold it back or release right away on the trigger. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top