JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My oldest son is looking to buy an AK 47. We enjoy getting on the bench and loading on either our dillon or lee presses and now are looking into our first rifle build. There are so many countries of manufacture available and just as many rumors about them. Which is the best value for his money and where would you recommend to buy?

Are you looking to build from a kit or buy a complete rifle?

There are many options. In my opinion, the easiest way to start is by looking at the different styles of butt stocks. Underfolders, various kinds of side folders, and fixed. What kind of stock he wants will help to narrow the choices.

obviously some are better quality than others and naturally the cost is commensurate with the quality

and yes there is a lot of rumors about the quality of some, WASR10's for example have the worst rap sheet, people LOVE TO COMPLAIN, however those that do all the complaining dont usually build/work on their own guns...I buy WASR's for my buddies because they are the cheapest, I never spend more than 300-400 bucks and then upgrade trigger groups, and refine the actions etc and the guns are straight consistent shooters.....most real ak enthusiasts go into this knowing they will need to work on these USED weapons regardless how much you spent or your paying someone else thats already done the upgrade work

spend according to your comfort level of smithing is my best advice

What is your budget? If there's no limit then a pre ban Norinco red furniture side folder will never do you wrong as a heritage firearm. If you just want a shooter and/or have a limited budget, there are several US companies making decent AKs out of former east block kits

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx

You may want to consider the AK74s.. mags are more $$ but they are the current Russian weapon caliber and the ammo is still cheap. The 74 is more accurate and has a 500 yard range VS the 47s 350 yards (nominal)

I have seen 74s shoot right alongside match barrel AR15s with the same group sizes. Here is a median priced Russian Izmash make, a real classic that you will love. Since you are planning for several children's future, this may be a good value without breaking your piggy bank

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct924.aspx

obviously some are better quality than others and naturally the cost is commensurate with the quality

and yes there is a lot of rumors about the quality of some, WASR10's for example have the worst rap sheet, people LOVE TO COMPLAIN, however those that do all the complaining dont usually build/work on their own guns...I buy WASR's for my buddies because they are the cheapest, I never spend more than 300-400 bucks and then upgrade trigger groups, and refine the actions etc and the guns are straight consistent shooters.

So your advice is to buy the cheapest option and take the odds of canted sights and crap gun, to go sink more $$ into it? Does not compute.

Saiga's are good bases to work off of, then go on up from there. Only real limit is the "style" ya like and budget.

I have to agree with iamme on that one. Saiga's are fine bases to start with, but a Norinco MAK90 with a straight cut receiver will always be my favorite AK. I'd be willing to bet that if I owned a pre-ban Norinco with the red furniture that it would be without a doubt my favorite. Problem is, you can get 5 or 6 MAK90's for the price of that pre-ban. A Yugo M70 with the underfolder is great as well. For $500-600 you could have a nice example of the MAK90 or Yugo. If you appreciate products made in the USA, Century's Centurion is getting great reviews and is 100% American made. That will run you more around $900. You can also buy a WASR. I would say that 90% of the time you have a decent rifle. The other 10% sucks bad and in my opinion not worth purchasing when tried and true AK's can be had for the same price or very little more. When the defense of a questionable AK is that you should learn gunsmithing to make it function, it's probably best to go another route. Kip

I have to agree with iamme on that one. Saiga's are fine bases to start with, but a Norinco MAK90 with a straight cut receiver will always be my favorite AK. I'd be willing to bet that if I owned a pre-ban Norinco with the red furniture that it would be without a doubt my favorite. Problem is, you can get 5 or 6 MAK90's for the price of that pre-ban. A Yugo M70 with the underfolder is great as well. For $500-600 you could have a nice example of the MAK90 or Yugo. If you appreciate products made in the USA, Century's Centurion is getting great reviews and is 100% American made. That will run you more around $900. You can also buy a WASR. I would say that 90% of the time you have a decent rifle. The other 10% sucks bad and in my opinion not worth purchasing when tried and true AK's can be had for the same price or very little more. When the defense of a questionable AK is that you should learn gunsmithing to make it function, it's probably best to go another route. Kip

Mostly agreed but the Norinco was made in a real military weapons factory to military specs from the forgings and stampings to the finish.. they are something to save and pamper for a day when the quality might be life and death. The Arsenals are good guns as is the 74 I linked above. It's obvious you get what you pay for with these rifles

It all depends on your budget

Thanks for all the info. He will have to give it some more thought bu thi has all been very beneficial. I certainly did not expect such quick and informed responses. You guys are awesome!

Thanks for all the info. He will have to give it some more thought bu thi has all been very beneficial. I certainly did not expect such quick and informed responses. You guys are awesome!

AKs are a sticky quagmire.. take your time, get out a pad of paper and figure out the long term costs for quality/gun/ammo/mags first.. I am in Lacey if your children and you want to try a real Norinco sometime

So your advice is to buy the cheapest option and take the odds of canted sights and crap gun, to go sink more $$ into it? Does not compute.

dont act like a child just to put my opinion down or to TROLL an argument Im entitled to my opinion & maybe I know something you dont although I doubt it..... I stated there are obviously superior arms & you get what you pay for the cost is commensurate with the quality & I own better quality ak's other than the WASR's, Im merely pointing out that not everyone that is as affluent as you pee pee's on WASR's & if your not a gun collector and just want a good shooter, have minimal skills you can save a bundle $$$$....bad news always travels faster than good news and most that buy a newer WASR and are happy with their straight shooter you dont hear them complain

a trigger group, is such a big expense, really? all the posts Ive read about the NEW century WASR's I see no more complaints of canted sights, nor have the last 5 NEW WASR's I have modded for friends...I would fine tune any trigger group add a buffer etc regardless of the maker to suit me so Im not out any thing....I have no problems spending an hour or so working on even an old WASR with canted sights to straighten things out....all my groupings are deadly

if you buy a WASR you buy a crap gun with canted sights,ya ya ya & if you live in a trailer your white trash & a meth head, if you drink your an alky...Ford made mustang crappy a couple years...DONT EVER BUY A MUSTANG OR ANY FORD FOR THAT MATTER!!!
we are all entitled to our opinions & your entitled to your opinions, you hang on to those ideals because Im sure your AK kills better than mine:rolleyes:

Never said weren't entitled to opinion- But when there's a known poor track record it should be mentioned not go buy this because it's cheap. What I am saying is that a Saiga built in mil factory for not much more $$ is generally a better investment/idea then rolling the dice with century

:)
century20monkey1.jpg

Somebody get their panties in a bunch?:(

dont act like a child just to put my opinion down or to TROLL an argument Im entitled to my opinion & maybe I know something you dont although I doubt it..... I stated there are obviously superior arms & you get what you pay for the cost is commensurate with the quality & I own better quality ak's other than the WASR's, Im merely pointing out that not everyone that is as affluent as you pee pee's on WASR's & if your not a gun collector and just want a good shooter, have minimal skills you can save a bundle $$$$....bad news always travels faster than good news and most that buy a newer WASR and are happy with their straight shooter you dont hear them complain

a trigger group, is such a big expense, really? all the posts Ive read about the NEW century WASR's I see no more complaints of canted sights, nor have the last 5 NEW WASR's I have modded for friends...I would fine tune any trigger group add a buffer etc regardless of the maker to suit me so Im not out any thing....I have no problems spending an hour or so working on even an old WASR with canted sights to straighten things out....all my groupings are deadly

if you buy a WASR you buy a crap gun with canted sights,ya ya ya & if you live in a trailer your white trash & a meth head, if you drink your an alky...Ford made mustang crappy a couple years...DONT EVER BUY A MUSTANG OR ANY FORD FOR THAT MATTER!!!
we are all entitled to our opinions & your entitled to your opinions, you hang on to those ideals because Im sure your AK kills better than mine:rolleyes:

I rolled on 2 Century Arms,drunk monkey builds and did good.One was a cetme sporter and the other a FAL platform. Both seem good but the sporter is just a awesome shooter.
So much so that it becomes expensive.
But I digress. I have always heard Century is a gamble,but I have come out OK. The AK platform seems kinda hard to get wrong.
I would ASSume they are the same as the ARs,in which,if you plan on shooting a ton,spend the money and buy the better builds.If you plan on plinking with it ,every once in a while,get a cheap one.

Another vote for Saiga. You are getting a real AK (of course slightly neutered to comply with US import laws) that is current production, from the company that makes them for the Russian military. Plus they are a lot of fun to convert (or revert) to their true AK form. Probably still the best bang for the buck.
<broken link removed>

If you want to build one the way you like the Saiga is a great place to start as it is a working, head spaced firearm already. You just change the stuff you want.
If you want a complete firearm I prefer the Arsenal SGL 20/21 it is a converted Saiga already to go. It is a AK 103 type more than a AKM and I feel they are some of the best I have owned so far.

Just my opinion.