JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pursuant to the lawsuit/recall, Remington sent me 4 boxes for sending Remmy 700's in to have the triggers replaced. After reading some online reviews about the trigger they would be replaced with, I decided to replace them with aftermarket triggers instead. I replaced the first two with Timney 510's. Then, when I went to order another, they had been discontinued. So, I ordered the Timney Elite Hunter that replaced the old model. I liked it even better. The corners where the pins go through seem a bit stouter. The older model was easier to deform those corners (don't ask, but Timney took good care of me:oops:) I'm not a benchrest competitor or anything, so I really couldn't tell the difference in trigger pull, if there is any, from the earlier model. They all feel much better than the Walker triggers I replaced. I have another Elite Hunter on the way, but it must be stuck in the snowstorm back East, since it is 4 days late and counting. BTW @Coachbell, you paid $5 less than I did on my last one, which had gone up $10 from a few months back.

I had four slightly different 700s and the installation was a little different for the first three. First was a 700 BDL in .30-06 purchased around 1977. It was completely "drop-in" and go. Next was an older, probably early 60's 700 (maybe ADL?) in .222 Rem Mag and on that one I had to dremel a little metal off of the trigger guard to make it fit. Third was an early 80's (I think) BDL in .243 bull barrel and I had to dremel off some wood from the stock near the trigger guard to get it to drop in, then work some more wood off an interior portion of the stock to get the safety to move freely. My last one will be a 700 Classic in .25-06 and I hope it just drops in.

I have replaced a couple of other triggers with Timneys as well. One was a Weatherby Vanguard Series I (the trigger on the Series II is much improved), the other was a Ruger Model 77. I have always been happy with the result. Again, these are hunting rifles. If I was competing/target shooting, I might have expanded my search.

Last Edited:
Bobby, mine is a 70's vintage BDL in 25-06 and the Hunter Elite fit like a glove going in...Going to the range this w/e if it's not too wet and cold...Dry fires like I hoped...3# is just what I asked for....I don't know what I'd do with a long gun that went off any lighter.

Maybe I like to live dangerously, I just adjusted down my 700's factory trigger and its more than good enough for me. It is one of the older style though.

Yeah, all this talk of replacing 700 triggers is weird to me. Must be because of the freak discharges. I had two 700 rifles made in the 60s or 70s and they were the best feeling factory triggers I've ever used. Never had a problem with an inadvertent discharge!!

Bobby, mine is a 70's vintage BDL in 25-06 and the Hunter Elite fit like a glove going in...Going to the range this w/e if it's not too wet and cold...Dry fires like I hoped...3# is just what I asked for....I don't know what I'd do with a long gun that went off any lighter.

I've used 2lb on a target only gun, but wouldn't on a hunting rifle. Shooting with gloves on, bumping on stumps/ranches/windfall, etc.

Yeah, all this talk of replacing 700 triggers is weird to me. Must be because of the freak discharges. I had two 700 rifles made in the 60s or 70s and they were the best feeling factory triggers I've ever used. Never had a problem with an inadvertent discharge!!
The one 700 I have remaining with the Walker trigger has an excellent trigger. In fact, I pulled the action out of the stock just to confirm it didn't already have an aftermarket trigger before ordering the Timney. It's a 700 Classic that I bought used, so I couldn't be sure. I probably didn't NEED to replace the Walker, but we live in such a litigious society these days. Plus, I'm getting old and don't like the thought of passing down "potentially" hazardous triggers to my family. I don't think the Timney will be a downgrade by any means. I just don't anticipate that I will be able to tell the difference, despite my $145 investment.;) The other three Walker triggers I replaced ranged from "bad" to "not great". Like you, I never had any problems with inadvertent discharge with any of them. But then I've only had the .30-06 for 45 years or so, my first non-borrowed big game rifle.

I probably didn't NEED to replace the Walker, but we live in such a litigious society these days

My 700 came with about a 9 pound lawyer installed in the trigger. I read up on the issue before I broke the seals on the trigger screws, there were a few 'unexplained' AD's that weren't particularly reproduceable. With millions of them produced, there may have a particular defect in a rifle, but there was no systemic failure of design. They changed the design anyway so it couldn't be adjusted and they couldn't be held liable for you screwing with their trigger. I also heard if you sent it in, it would come back with a new 9 lb version.

The one 700 I have remaining with the Walker trigger has an excellent trigger. In fact, I pulled the action out of the stock just to confirm it didn't already have an aftermarket trigger before ordering the Timney. It's a 700 Classic that I bought used, so I couldn't be sure. I probably didn't NEED to replace the Walker, but we live in such a litigious society these days. Plus, I'm getting old and don't like the thought of passing down "potentially" hazardous triggers to my family. I don't think the Timney will be a downgrade by any means. I just don't anticipate that I will be able to tell the difference, despite my $145 investment.;) The other three Walker triggers I replaced ranged from "bad" to "not great". Like you, I never had any problems with inadvertent discharge with any of them. But then I've only had the .30-06 for 45 years or so, my first non-borrowed big game rifle.

Thx!

I'm motivated to read about the Walker triggers now. I didn't know that was what they were, AND I thought it was the Mark X Pro that had the problems. Reading a good article right now.

Both 700s that I owned had fabulous feeling/working triggers. That's what got me spoiled and demanding good triggers in all future rifles I owned. My 90s vintage Ruger 77 was just OK... I gave it a polish and it turned into a "pretty good" trigger. Unfortunately, I can't see to shoot a rifle now, so this year I will pass it, a .308, to one of my teenage grandsons that has in interest in deer hunting in his home state of AR.

My 700 came with about a 9 pound lawyer installed in the trigger. I read up on the issue before I broke the seals on the trigger screws, there were a few 'unexplained' AD's that weren't particularly reproduceable. With millions of them produced, there may have a particular defect in a rifle, but there was no systemic failure of design. They changed the design anyway so it couldn't be adjusted and they couldn't be held liable for you screwing with their trigger. I also heard if you sent it in, it would come back with a new 9 lb version.
LOL. Yeah, I read lots of complaints about the replacement trigger. I already had the empty boxes from Remington in my possession to send the rifles in. I just couldn't do it. As a result, I'll end up spending about $550 to replace the four triggers myself. But, at least I'll have good triggers. (I also didn't like the thought of shipping the rifles back and forth, since 3 of the 4 were inherited and irreplaceable to me. And the fourth is my favorite of the bunch.)

Thx!

I'm motivated to read about the Walker triggers now. I didn't know that was what they were, AND I thought it was the Mark X Pro that had the problems. Reading a good article right now.

Both 700s that I owned had fabulous feeling/working triggers. That's what got me spoiled and demanding good triggers in all future rifles I owned. My 90s vintage Ruger 77 was just OK... I gave it a polish and it turned into a "pretty good" trigger. Unfortunately, I can't see to shoot a rifle now, so this year I will pass it, a .308, to one of my teenage grandsons that has in interest in deer hunting in his home state of AR.
I think they did have some sort of troubles with the X Mark Pro and even had a recall. All of my 700's are older. My "newest" is the 700 Classic from 1990.

I think they did have some sort of troubles with the X Mark Pro and even had a recall. All of my 700's are older. My "newest" is the 700 Classic from 1990.

I "think" I remember lawsuits on the X Mark Pro. But my memory is as faulty as my eyesight, and I haven't owned a 700 in many years so just never kept up on "issues".

I "think" I remember lawsuits on the X Mark Pro. But my memory is as faulty as my eyesight, and I haven't owned a 700 in many years so just never kept up on "issues".
My eyesight is great. It's my hearing that's the problem. My hunting buddy is 74. We always tell people "I can't hear and he's deaf." My dad was not a great believer in wearing hearing protection. Not "manly". Sheesh. I remember sitting at the bench rest blazing away with rifles up to and including a .30-06 with no ear muffs when I wasn't even a teenager yet.:( My kids didn't even shoot .22's without hearing protection.

My memory is phenomenal. As long as you're not asking me about something you told me recently.:D

My eyesight is great. It's my hearing that's the problem. My hunting buddy is 74. We always tell people "I can't hear and he's deaf." My dad was not a great believer in wearing hearing protection. Not "manly". Sheesh. I remember sitting at the bench rest blazing away with rifles up to and including a .30-06 with no ear muffs when I wasn't even a teenager yet.:( My kids didn't even shoot .22's without hearing protection.

My memory is phenomenal. As long as you're not asking me about something you told me recently.:D

Yeah, I've tinnitus too and it's actually painful to shoot even 22 supersonics without earpro. I even use it as an excuse for my wife to not yell at me.

I have 2 700's though, the one I modified dates to before the Mark-X trigger and the other, after the end date of the lawsuit. The new one is a .243 plastic stocked ADL walmart special and shoot awesome and I see no reason to mess with.

Mine were newer guns, and when the recall came I just decided to upgrade to Jewells. The factory ones were just ok. Looking at the factory parts I see why the newer MIM parts are hard to get a crisp action.