JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had an ACOG on my AK and I loved it. Now I've switched over to the AR platform and I'm trying to pick the right optic.
There wasn't much choice for 7.62x39 so I had a compact 3x24 with a red horseshoe dot reticle. I liked it just fine, so I'm considering it again. However the red Circle/donut seems like it would be faster to acquire as well as faster to reacquire. I dunno'. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Another factor is cost. It's way more than I paid for my Colt. :confused: So far I've seen a 4x35? red circle that's in the ballpark on opticsplanet and sportoptics.

I'm also not sure of the mount configuration either. I have a QD Trijicon low mount from the other ACOG and I'd like to be able to use it if I can, but then we get into co-witnessing the BUIS, etc. I don't know much about ACOG's, so I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks guys. :)

Last Edited:
I like the horseshoe and dot most to be honest. The only thing I've had more interest in is the chevron.

I wouldn't bother with the 4x32 unless you enjoy short sight radius. The TA11 (3.5x35) and TA33 (3x30) are better for eye relief.

Since you asked, my experience, the chevron or horseshoe. I have a couple TA11 on 556 and 762 ARs. The chevron affords a little more target dissection for precision with the top of the chevron Vs dot in the middle of the shoe that is like most dot sights Vs the doughnut that is quite poor due to the 100 zero aiming is the top of the doughnut, very hard to dissect a target but then these are not really precision sights. If you must, then use the 400 meter crosshair for precision target dissection, yes even at 100. Of course your POI will not be at 100 zero. The hardest sighting yardage is 200 meters, there is no real dedicated aiming point but its so close to 100 its not a real issue..my avatar is 200 meter 10" steel. The elevation marks are quite small and can be hard to pick out from the background out past 700 if the target is dark and blends into the background but I can make it work just fine when I have to. The elevation marks are very close to mil spec ammo. I banged steel out to 600 yards with a 762 16" barrel with consistently. I have poked a few rounds down range further than 600, I took a poke at a sasquatch at 1000 not sure if I connected but doubtful. For home defense inside 50 meters down to bad breath range, I ran some training CQB drills with ACOG on 556 and the magnification has its limits in this close, where a simple red dot might be a better option but ACOG will work as is. For me, 50 meters and out is where I prefer, I would not top a home defense AR with one since I have red dot but if you want to or do, use it occluded and with the horseshoe, its very close to a simple red dot / center mass blaster and I can run CQB drills occluded just like a red dot. Store with the neoprene cover on the front and use a rubber band to snug it all down and now your have a red dot.

762 gasser with TA11 I would not hesitate to take hunting.

In bright sun light the fiber optic can bloom out. Electricians tape over the fiber full length and then unroll it depending on sunlight, I like about a 1/4 of the fiber optic open to the sun most days, cloudy raining or early AM /PM just roll the tape back to expose more fiber optic.

Not sure why you are trying to cowitness with an ACOG. Mounting your ACOG as close to your eye / rear of the AR I find proper for eye relief. If you have back up irons, place them in front of your ACOG, more like old school hunting rifle open sight Vs standard mil set up.

I have LaRue QD mounts on everything. LaRue has quite a few haters but they have treated me good to absolute going out of their way to serve me so, I am loyal to them due to that fact.

Disclaimer, I am not a one shot commando delta seal combat controlled...but I know a few.

This is worth exactly what you paid for it, good luck and have fun!

TA31F is a excellent optic. I prefer the red Chevron. In a pinch, you can use it with NV. Accurate enough out at distance, bombproof. I have a Larue QD, along with a few other Larue mounts and have no real complaints. Moving and shooting, I prefer a T1 Micro, but it can be done with an Acog using the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept). I am not nearly as fast with it tho. For distance the Acog no question.

For the mount I just use the ADM one. Then again I got it for free so there's that.

Either way, can't go wrong with a TA33. It has good eye relief, and its really light. Almost as if it isn't there.

As for cowitness, not gonna happen with an ACOG. Or any optic with magnification.

I had an ACOG on my AK and I loved it. Now I've switched over to the AR platform and I'm trying to pick the right optic.
There wasn't much choice for 7.62x39 so I had a compact 3x24 with a red horseshoe dot reticle. I liked it just fine, so I'm considering it again. However the red Circle/donut seems like it would be faster to acquire as well as faster to reacquire. I dunno'. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Another factor is cost. It's way more than I paid for my Colt. :confused: So far I've seen a 4x35? red circle that's in the ballpark on opticsplanet and sportoptics.

I'm also not sure of the mount configuration either. I have a QD Trijicon low mount from the other ACOG and I'd like to be able to use it if I can, but then we get into co-witnessing the BUIS, etc. I don't know much about ACOG's, so I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks guys. :)
I personally like the 3.5x ones because they have better eye relief.

Like what was said earlier, I see the ACOG as more of a battle sight than a good home defense sight, unless youbgot lots of acreage. I like the TA31 with chevron. I want an ACOG to be more precise out past 100 yards and the chevron allows for that. Even though the TA31 eye relief sucks, it offers a wider field of view.

The ACOGs (for me) have been a tough decision to settle on, mainly due to the reticule options. I almost drove myself loony, looking into them all. I've always wanted an ACOG, just never cared to pay the price. Since then I've got/had Aimpoint T/H's, CompM4's, EO's and Leupolds. The "proverbial sticker shock" is behind me, since I stepped into the better optics. One day at Cabelas, Lacey I was looking through a few. The lens's are like looking at some of the finest crystal. I was amazed.

This thread, it sort of grabbed my attention and peeked my interests again. Thanks @GOG LOL

Thanks for the video 2A2Dend.

I'm not a long range shooter so I really don't have lots of experience with first class glass, but I do know what it is. I have some friends who shoot LD and they rarely spare any expense. But as far as I'm concerned, with my old eyes the glass on the ACOG is beyond excellent.

And a battle sight is exactly what I want. :cool:

Thanks for the video 2A2Dend.

I'm not a long range shooter so I really don't have lots of experience with first class glass, but I do know what it is. I have some friends who shoot LD and they rarely spare any expense. But as far as I'm concerned, with my old eyes the glass on the ACOG is beyond excellent.

And a battle sight is exactly what I want. :cool:

To me, the ACOG really suits the "recce rifle" type builds. These are the most versatile ARs, IMO. I have an M4 style rifle with an Aimpoint and I have a 20 inch barreled rifle with a 3-9x scope.

The M4 is super fast up close and I can easily hit silhouettes at 300 meters with it, but nothing real precise. Its mostly useful from point blank to 100 yards.

The rifle will smack 10 inch plates at 500 yards with very little trouble, but is kind of a pig up close. Its mostly effective from 75 to 400 yards.

With a recce type build and an optic like the ACOG, you have something that can give you actual precision at 300 yards and then have the field of view to shoot within 50 yards. I like the idea of the RMR attached to it, but now you're getting to the price if my first car.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top