Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which 9mm would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by UncalledForGabe, Sep 12, 2010.

1. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I've been trying to make up my mind on a new full size, hi-cap, metal frame 9mm handgun. I think I've narrowed it down to the Browning HP, CZ-75 B or SA, Beretta M9, or the Sig P226. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I just traded off my M-9. Was not thrilled with it's accuracy. Got an XDM 9mm in 3.8" barrel and this thing is amazing!!!! Accuracy rivals my Para-Ord 14-45 Limited. If you have to have metal, I'd look at the Para-Ordnance. I have a carry LDA in 45 and like it a lot.

3. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

What primary use?

4. Key-Hay

My 9 is for target shooting. When I got the XDM, I stood there at the counter with both the 3.8" and full length barrels in hand and I just liked the look and feel of the 3.8". I got the M-9 when my daughter was going into the Air Force so we could shoot something she may wind up using in Afghanistan. She's out now (She Didn't go to Bagram) and I wasn't impressed with the accuracy. It's a well built gun with a solid feel but if you can't hit with it at 25 yrds...Well it's gone now. The XDM 9 impressed me the 1st time I used it. Put 10 rounds down range strong hand (With same ammo I used with M-9) and put 8 of 10 inside the 5" black!!! First one was dead center even. The guys I was shooting with all took turns and confirmed I wasn't just having a good day.

5. UncalledForGabe

General use, home defense, plinking, maybe some light competition.

6. cash$$cow

cash$$cow Eastern Wa Member

CZ or the Sig..........

7. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Cz-75

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Given that, I would go with the Springfield XDM.............not to be mistaken with the XD.

9. UncalledForGabe

Even though I've owned polymer framed handguns and NEVER had a single problem with any of them, I still can't bring myself to buying one. A Glock 17 and an XDM was on my list, but I just like the heavy weight metal framed handguns.

10. UncalledForGabe

Anyone have experience with the CZ-75 SA?

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Then I would go Sig.

12. Key-Hay

When you get 19 rounds of ammo in it. Poly or Metal becomes academic.

13. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

I voted P226 because I have had great luck with Sigs.

14. JC9995

JC9995 Greater "Clackamas" Active Member

Kahr MK9

15. UncalledForGabe

The P229 is a compact gun right? I've never like the feel of a compact pistol. My big hands usually hang off the bottom of the grip.

16. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

went with the cz75sa. i've discovered over the years i'm not a fan of da/sa autos.

17. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

Actually, I would recommend a Kimber 1911 in 9mm.:)

18. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

shoot them all first then decide. i own sigs but the high bore axis bugs me. my beretta is a very fine shooter and very accurate but the thick grip bugs me. grip angle on the glock bugs me and so does the center of balance as the mag empties (same with my polymer framed HK USP). One weapon that I truly like shooting is a PSP... yeah, I'm weird. You may be too so again, go try them all out first.:laugh:

19. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

If you have big hands, you might have a problem with hammer bite on the Browning HiPower. My buddy is a big guy and gets bit every now and then when he fires my HiPower. I love my M9 and had two 92FS models before it. All three were very accurate and I have no problem nailing a 12 x 15 metal plate at 50 yards. If you want a rail, get the M9A1 or one of the Vertec models plus you can usually find used Crimson Trace lasergrips pretty cheap. SIG 226 would be my second choice.

20. UncalledForGabe

Good to know!

I still can't choose, but I'm leaning towards the CZ-75 SA. Or the Sig, or the Beretta... uh, yeah, its a toss up