JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting a 45-70 lever action for a while. And I had almost made up my mind to get a Marlin 1895 SBL. But for a while now, I've been reading a number a of not so flattering reviews of these rifles. Apparently the venerable Marlin brand lost in quality as they were bought by Remington.

I was at Freddys at 26 in Hillsboro the other day. And they actually had three Marlin 45-70s in stock. Not the SBL, but one of them was the stainless guide guide version. I liked the way it felt in my hands, and sighting with it. But I'm not experienced enough to judge whether or not the craftsmanship was ok or not. I saw another Marlin in the rack and could see light coming through on the side where the stock mates to the receiver. I find that a bit odd. But again with my limited experience... If I hadn't read those negative reviews I probably wouldn't looked as closely.

Anyone with recent experinece of Marlins care to chime in? Are the quality issues hit and miss or is just bad alltogether? Should I look at another brand for that kind of rifle?

TIA!

I bought a Marlin 336C for my son and paid the same price for a used one from 1958 that I would have paid fora new one at Bi-Mart. I think I got the better deal. My stocks are walnut instead of stained ash. My checkering is cut, not stamped. My metal was polished before it was blued, not just wire brushed. Yeah, I know what you're talking about.

I have been real happy with my Marlin 45/70 1895XLR. I am told the longer barrel can be an advantage for a little more reach.

leverloop.JPG

I have found no problems in build quality or performance. I added a "Wild West" big loop lever to get my big gloved hand in there comfortably. What a pleasure to shoot. Definitely a keeper.

If you're going to be shooting cast bullets,buy an older one 'pre-microgroove.' and buy an older one because they are made better,no matter what kind of ammo ur going to use.
I've looked at a few new ones,and would buy 'old' anyday.

If you're going to be shooting cast bullets,buy an older one 'pre-microgroove.' and buy an older one because they are made better,no matter what kind of ammo ur going to use.
I've looked at a few new ones,and would buy 'old' anyday.
The new <broken link removed> are "Ballard Rifled".
Many of their rifles went back to Ballard rifling in the late nineties according to what I found. If you cast your own, they can be fit for the microgroove too.

I got one of the first "remelins" without knowing any better before all the bad reviews. Its an 1895 SBL. I've shot about 400 rounds and haven't had any problems with it. Fit or function. I love this gun and don't think I could part with it. I think handling it, operating the action, and looking at fit and finish could tell you a lot.

Your purposes have not been stated. No one giving advice without your stating of a purpose can possibly give good advice. Oregonhunter5 comes closest (and pointedly brief) in focusing on your quest for quality and offering the very best answer to that quest: Browning. All other advice providers here are operating on an unstated and unsupported assumption.

Say what you want the gun to do, and persons with good .45-70 lever-gun experience can honestly help to provide you with their own experience toward the goal.

I bought one of those very Marlin GBLs at the same Freddy's a few months ago. I love mine. I've put some upgrade parts on it from Wild West Guns, new follower, new ejector, and new trigger. I'm considering a swap to their lever, which is supposed to be considerably better quality. It's a great rifle though and fun to shoot. The trigger, follower, and ejector cost me about $125 to get and they are worth upgrading.

Your purposes have not been stated. No one giving advice without your stating of a purpose can possibly give good advice. Oregonhunter5 comes closest (and pointedly brief) in focusing on your quest for quality and offering the very best answer to that quest: Browning. All other advice providers here are operating on an unstated and unsupported assumption.

Say what you want the gun to do, and persons with good .45-70 lever-gun experience can honestly help to provide you with their own experience toward the goal.

Really? Please reread my post and then explain what my what my unstated and unsupported assumption is.

I had an early Marlin 444, was a great gun except for the microgroove rifling

But you can't go wrong with Browning, just more $$

Just steer clear of Crapparal Arms

What purposes do you need to know? You can either tell the OP (don't know why orge was offended) which 45-70 lever gun YOU like or not
What is a 45-70 used for? What do you use it for?
Either question could lead to the same answer.

The older Marlins are great. I have had 2 different ones and they seemed accurate and cycled perfect. I have never handled a "remlin".
There is a BEAUTIFUL Browning on gun broker for $2500 I would love to have.
I had a Rossi 357 that was a fine gun and saw another one come in the local store with the nicest ,smoothest action I have felt on a brand new gun. But I wouldn't buy a Rossi,or a Uberti 45-70. I dunno,just wouldn't trust their keeping together for that round.

I don't quite understand what is the matter with the micro-groove barrels? It seems some people don't care for them, but give no reason why. Do they need a jacketed bullet in order to stabilize or does it increase leading with cast bullets? Are they just rifled poorly and as a result offer less than desirable accuracy? Is the micro-groove barrels more difficult to clean? Any clarification would be appreciated.

I don't quite understand what is the matter with the micro-groove barrels? It seems some people don't care for them, but give no reason why. Do they need a jacketed bullet in order to stabilize or does it increase leading with cast bullets? Are they just rifled poorly and as a result offer less than desirable accuracy? Is the micro-groove barrels more difficult to clean? Any clarification would be appreciated.

It's easy, micro groove barrels do not like lead bullets and lead up bad

I have a newer Marlin 1895SBL that looks a little rough on the inside. Some of the parts looked more ripped than cut and others looked like someone did the river dance in golf cleats on them while stamping out a flaming bag of dog sh!t.
Needless to say I need to have my gunsmith smooth this thing over.
I had no idea how rough the inside looked since you cant exactly take one of these apart in the gun store.
I have shot it and it shoots fine but does cycle a little rough.

I like the gun enough to keep it and see what my gunsmith can do with it. At the same time its pretty frustrating to pay good money for a gun that I thought would be up to par with my expectations. I had no idea of all this quality control stuff until after I bought it. I really should have done more homework before I bought it. I was looking for a stainless lever gun in a guide length and thought the rifle was beautiful when I found it sitting for sale in my local gun store. I should have done more research on the gun.
Lesson learned. Life experience added.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads