JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks Rockwell and everybody else!

At his point I have no specific purpose. I just want a lever 45-70, period! I grew up in another country where bolts ruled. My first,2nd,3rd,... experience with lever actions were through cowboy movies. I thought I'd try one out. As with my handguns, if I ever think I'm proficient enough, I'd take it hunting. Meanwhile I'll punch holes in paper, PET bottles, maybe put some dimples in steel.

If I can help it, I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000 for the rifle.

I recognize the 45-70 cartridge might be a little pricey. But I already reload handgun cartridges, 45/454/10mm. And the 45-70 just seem like an extended 45. Albeit tapered. I also have more time readily available to reload than to shoot since my garage is closer than the nearest range.

(Btw if anything seems out of place it's because the freekin touch pad on my lap-top is so sensitive it'll spell O..ma if my cat farts in the other room)

I've got a Remlin 1895G Guide Gun I'm happy with. Bought it new about 8 or 9 months ago. A few months later Northwest Armory had an old one that was ported. The wood finish sure looked a lot better, to me anyway than the newer style finish on mine.

I pick up a used 1895CB about 3 months ago. It's long & lean with the 26" hex barrel. Felt recoil is amped up about 50% over the guide gun, to me anyway.

Might want to watch dimpling steel. My 30-30, 44 mag. & 45-70s will all poke holes in 1/4" mild steel. Don't ask how I know that.

Don

It's easy, micro groove barrels do not like lead bullets and lead up bad

"Easy", just like most generalizations and gun myths that are perpetuated with little background or experience. I will agree that if a shooter will PRIMARILY be shooting lead bullets (and especially experimenting with blackpowder or blackpowder substitutes: Pyrodex, etc. ), he would be much better served with Ballard rifling on his .45-70 lever action.

But to say (and especially to offer advice to someone just starting) that "micro groove barrels do not like lead bullets and lead up" is a sweeping generalization that simply (as most sweeping generalizations) is not true.

For the .45-70 shooter who has NOT decided to relegate himself entirely to cast bullets, a Microgroove barreled Marlin lever gun can perform perfectly and finely with lead bullets. The strategy for such would be to adhere to hard-cast lead (such as Lasercast or the like). Even wheelweight lead (especially with a gas check) will perform quite well in a Microgroove barrel. As always, quality lube, proper sizing of the bullet and correct (modest) velocities for cast bullets are the order of the day. When you want your Marlin to chase on the heels of a .458 Winchester, make the switch to jacketed payloads.

To write off Microgroove barrels as completely unsuitable for cast lead bullets is to deprive oneself of a large number of very fine rifles that will perform to any expectation if only a few requirements are kept in mind.

It's a bit out of my price range with MSRP of over $1.3K. But it seems like the Winchester 1886 short rifle would fit the bill as well. It also has more of an old west look over it which appeals to me. Any 2 cents on this one?

i'm on the "there's nothing wrong with micro grooved barrels" side of things.
they were just fine before the internet, where rumors become fact.

my '55 30/30 and late 45/70 are both micro grooved... both get lead cast shot in 'em... both work great. follow what's been said above, and all is well.

i've got an early 60s with ballard; seriously i notice no difference at all. none.

I have a 1951 marlin 336 32 win sp. and I love that gun. I bought it a couple years ago and its at 85-90% It was packaged with a wilson 1911 CQB so it was basicly free. A great price by the way, about my favorite.

I keep this gun for when I hunt blacktail in timber. No glass just open sights. Again I love the feel and function of this 62 year old gun. It will be handed down to my kids some day. If that sort of thing is allowed in the future?

So I think there is a marlin 336sdg in 45-70 and I know in 72 or 73 they came out with a 1895 marlin 45-70 I think used the reciever design of the 336 and the lever action of the 444. Now I am not 100% sure of this but I am never wrong so you do the math.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top