JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Best .380?

• hi-point

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • taurus TCP

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • bersa thunder

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • walther PK380

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • S&W bodyguard

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • other (please list)

Votes: 109 55.3%

• Total voters
So, which one of these guns do you think is the softest recoiling, most reliable, most fun to shoot, and the one that will sell the quickest and hold it's value the best?
Try to find a CZ 83 in .380. They should run you between $225.00 and $400.00. J&G Sales is listing some surplus ones for $239.95 right now. I have a CZ82, the same pistol in 9X18 Mak, and it is very comfortable and fun to shoot. I don't know about resale value, but, since it's surplus, I would think you could sell it for close to what you paid.

Of the pistols you listed in your OP, I've owned a Bersa Thunder and currently own a S&W Bodyguard. The Bersa had really good ergonomics but I couldn't get it to run reliably. The S&W is dead reliable, but not a lot of fun to shoot.

I have P238 I carry as my BUG in an ankle holster. I had some issues in the beginning that were fixed when Sig redesigned the recoil spring and it's been 100% reliable since after >2500 rounds. I also have a Beretta 85F in .380 that, although it is heavier and has a larger frame, actually hurts to shoot, is difficult to rack the slide without snagging on the frame-mounted safety, and has been quite a disappointment to me (I love my 92FS.) In comparison, the P238 is very soft-shooting and accurate, with a good single action trigger. The slide is easy to rack, which is why my wife loves it so much (I might have to buy her her own "rainbow titanium" P238).

The only downside I can think of is that it is SAO and designed to be carried cocked and locked. Not an issue for me because I always carry it in a holster that covers the safety, but I'd be reluctant to carry it in a pocket without a pocket holster.

dont let us by doing a poll make your decisions go to a place where you can rent a few pistols and try them out go to a gun show and check a few out get to no a few guys around here who have what your thinking about buying and ask them if you buy the ammo and there lunch would they let you try there pistol they might do it just a suggestion

Coosbaycreep got his .380, and reported he used up 1/4 of his ammo stash before it got home- good reason to reload?

My pick is a used CZ- the one my Dad brought back from WWII. my choice is based very little on experience. My big hands don't get cut by the slide, gets the job done and so amazingly simple to take down and put back; probably been done in the dark-somewhere.

I wanted to suggest that coosbaycreep go to a gun show, look, talk allot and see whats available. Most likely one would beg to go home with you having all that stored up ammo; and not be retail price.

For the money, I vote the Ruger LCP. For bigger hands, the Ruger LC9. Neither has ever choked on me.
If I had the money, the Sig P238 is the best .380 I have ever shot. I wish they'd make a 9 using that same design. Or even a .45!

An old soldier

I absolutely LOVE my Bersa Thunder. Got the 15-round version in stainless for $320 new. Was a bit skeptical, but figured for the price it was worth trying. Very glad I did.

I voted for the walther for the listed items, but I love the sigs P230/p232. I own a p230 and Im more accurate with it than my P226 at the practical range. Please dont buy a Hi-Point. Besides the fact that they are just plain FUGLY you're only one step away from a Lorcin or a Ja-9. Next you'll be knocking off a liquor store.

Other cool 380's if you got the money;
Seecamp
Robaugh
Kahr

To add; never shot a p238, but I don't get it. A 1911 design 380? Makes me vomit a little in my mouth. I just looks like a kids toy to me.

I was looking for a pocket .380 a couple of months ago. Took a look at lot of pistols. Narrowed it down to a S&W bodyguard, since the Sig238 and Walther were really out of my price range. Went into MK Tactical in Hillsboro. The guy (Mike) said he had a special on a new Black P238 w/ laser, $425. I said sold.

Never did worry about the S&W after that, the Sig shoots and feels great. Much better feel and groups than my buddy's LCP. If you can hunt down a deal, this is the pistol in 380 to get.

I love my Ruger LCP. I have the Crimson Trace LASER module, and it really works nicely. I carry in a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster or a SmartCarry system, and keep it loaded with CorBon Pow'R Ball ammo.

I also have an IJ-70 .380acp Makarov. Nice pistol that I got many years ago for $165 brand new. It is similar to, but not an exact clone of a Walther PP. It is rugged, reliable and surprisingly accurate.

Bersa makes a CC model that fits my hand perfectly, and accuracy is good with the fixed barrel. A used CZ 83 (some are well used and under $200 on GB) is a very nice shooter, but my favorite is the Sig P238, which is a great size for carry, and a really nice range gun as well.

i dont like the sig p238 you have to pack it in the ready to go pos with the hammer back in the pocket and i dont like hammers when i pocket carry thats why i got the kahr p 380 very dependable shoots everything ive shot though it without a hiccup double action only my pm40 the same way in my own opinion the best 380 out there for pocket carry. i should say other than that the Beretta and sig and the bersa thunder are all fine pistols

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top