JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had the 125gr Federal 38 +p Hydro Shok for a long time. Seems solid (hard to find at the moment). I've liked Hornady in other calibers, but the 110gr seems less performant. The 125gr Speer seemed interesting but seems discontinued in favor of a 135gr.

I'm just wondering what people chose with the data given. I know 2" and 4" can make a difference, but looking for an overall if you had to choose.

Here's the lucky gunner ballistics tests in case you haven't seen them before:
- https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl

Extra info: these would be used in a 3" - 38 +p, other is a 4" - .357.

I've had the 125gr Federal 38 +p Hydro Shok for a long time. Seems solid (hard to find at the moment). I've liked Hornady in other calibers, but the 110gr seems less performant. The 125gr Speer seemed interesting but seems discontinued in favor of a 135gr.

I'm just wondering what people chose with the data given. I know 2" and 4" can make a difference, but looking for an overall if you had to choose.

Here's the lucky gunner ballistics tests in case you haven't seen them before:
- https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl

Extra info: these would be used in a 3" - 38 +p, other is a 4" - .357.
I have both 125gr and 135gr Gold Dot .38 +P, and see little difference from 2" or 4" barreled guns.

Just FYI, Ammunition Depot appears to have the 125gr Gold Dot in stock: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/293-speer-gold-dot-38-special-125-grain-p-hp.html.

Historically I have used 135 gr Gold Dots .38 +P. Recently I have experimented a bit with hard cast ammo. Specifically, Underwood stuff. I'm starting to like Underwood. I recently purchased a LCR and wanted to stay away from the +P loads. So...

For my LCR I use:

I have also tried an Underwood +P load in a SP101:

Underwood is not inexpensive (neither are Gold Dots), but I like the stuff so far. The 150 gr wadcutter has gotta be close to a +P as it feels pretty stout. The 158 gr Keith load is stout as well but very manageable in the SP101.

Anything meant for defense - meaning to exclude all HP ammo that comes in boxes of 50 and costs the same as the FMJ in the same brand…

Other then that I think it's mostly up to the shooter.

Not saying that these were/are the "BEST CHOICE".
But........I'd be comfortable enough, with 125 grn. semi jacketed hollow points loaded to +P.
Which brand of ammo?
Well, I can remember mostly being issued (at my PD) Remington brand.
Of course, that was way back then. YES, the revolver still was in wide spread useage. And BTW, for me......it was a blued, 4", M15, S&W (uniform duty) and for an off duty firearm, a privately purchased snubby (SS, 2", M60, S&W).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
As usual, throwing a curve in the discussion...but wadcutter shouldn't be overlooked.

Have seen the results of a few shootings where wadcutters were used...impressive to say the least.

Bonded are meant to go through barriers while on their way to their intended target, thus their results are mixed.

As stated above, XTPs are a very good choice. I load them and have great penetration through windshield, and still open up well in flesh.

Yes, we've all heard the argument about not loading your own carry ammo...but hear me out. Use the the same bullet as offered in commercial offerings, load it to the same velocity as factory...you're just replicating the same load at a lower cost.

RE : Post #11

Yup....as I rememeber it, before we went to the 9mm we were using the "FBI Load". Meaning = .38 special, 158 grn LSWC hollow points in a +P loading.

Aloha, Mark

RE : Post #11

Yup....as I rememeber it, before we went to the 9mm we were using the "FBI Load". Meaning = .38 special, 158 grn LSWC hollow points in a +P loading.

Aloha, Mark
This ^^^^^

When hollow points arrived, just about everyone evacuated themselves getting on that wagon.

Round nose lead had mixed results at best, but full and semi wadcutters were doing a very good job all along.

I had not seen Wadcutters or Semi-Wadcutters for a long time. When I lived in California many years ago my first gun was a S&W .357 magnum 686-1. There were JHP as well but for making holes on paper targets I would buy .38 Special wadcutters to shoot in my .357 magnum since there were less than $10 for box of 50 back in the mid to late 1980s.

I normally take our dogs out at least once a night. I keep a 4" model 15 loaded with stout 38 special loads. I feel quite comfortable carrying it to the back of our property. I have a lot of faith in xtp's. Don't know if I will run into a two legged or four legged animal. Hope not to run into either.

I carry an Airweight 642, With its less than 2" barrel it generates enough velocity to expand a 125gr or 135 gr bullet only about half the time.
I carry Federal Gold Medal 148 gr WC in it. They have less recoil, and consistently penetrate. Even though they don't expand they always cut a full caliber hole. When a JHP does not expand they work like a round nose and make an icepick hole.
If I were shooting a 4" revolver it opens a lot more options for good ammo. DR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads