JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't limit myself to those two.
I bought one of the first stainless Dan Wesson vent heavies in 1982.
They are nice revolvers and destroyed the Smiths and Colts in the silhouette game.
It looks like this...
attachment.jpg

DW revolvers have a fine trigger & shorter hammer fall time, among other features. I recently missed out on a nice DW 22 revolver that chould have followed ~ME~ home but someone else got there first.

I was going to order some Altamont grips this morning for my model 29, but apparently the 29-6 could have a rounded or square butt. I'll have to take the rubber of to check.

I know my S&W Model 29 Classic has the square butt. I had to remove the wood grips to confirm when ordering some Pachmayr grips, though I ultimately swapped back the originals. Altamont make fine grips and their service, at least in my experience, has always been great. Now you got me to thinking of checking out options for the 29. :)

I know my S&W Model 29 Classic has the square butt. I had to remove the wood grips to confirm when ordering some Pachmayr grips, though I ultimately swapped back the originals. Altamont make fine grips and their service, at least in my experience, has always been great. Now you got me to thinking of checking out options for the 29. :)
I just pulled mine, it's a round butt.

I'm looking to get a full size .357...

Torn between a used GP100 or a new 686+

Both stainless, both 6"

The used Ruger is $500 and I can get the 686 for $600

Ruger is gun only, unknown round count

686 is as new, newer model, unfired with box/papers

Talk me out of one or the other
GO FOR THE 686!!!!!!! It is a very sweet setup, nice trigger, and great balance.

I've probably owned 12 or so Ruger GP-100's from 2.5" to 71/4" both SS and blued over the past 25 years. I currently own 3 A GP100 4" blued, a 3" GP100 Wiley Clap, I am picking up an 3" SP101 Saturday.. I've shot a few of my friends S&W's. I'll keep my Ruger GP100's any day over the S&W's. It's just a preference. I've not had a single issue with Ruger GP100 or SP101 period. I have seen a lot of Barrel issues with the S&W's over the past few years. I'm not saying the S&W's are not good guns, it's a preference. Someday I'll get the Ruger performance model.

Last Edited:

Both stainless, both 6"

I own both, and my personal preference is for the Smith & Wesson. The Ruger just feels heavy and less balanced than the S&W. They both shoot well enough, but I have a strong preference for the S&W.

Both stainless, both 6"

I would get the one that fits my hand the best.

The quality of both guns is about the same, so pick a particular quality so that you can make an objective comparison.

I was in your spot looking at the same two guns. I went to a gun shop that had both and handled them side by side. The Ruger felt better in my hand and it went home with me. Love shooting it and no regrets.

Is there a particular reason you are limiting yourself to the two pieces you mentioned? The venerable Security Six can still be had for pretty cheap, and is a perfectly fine shooter.

Personally, I prefer Ruger's cylinder release and ejector.....

The difficulty of making such decision for our individual selves is complicated by the artificial dichotomy of this particular task.

Such 'either/or' choices often require in-hand and live face-to-face input from a number of factors, before leaping into Final Decision.

Based on such as best 'accuracy' resultant from when ~I~ am at the target line, neither of these are my own top choices.

Based on such as 'reliability' both are likely to be happily in service to your grandchildren and beyond.

Based on excellent choice of the DA makers current products, about equal.

I have both a Colt Trooper and Ruger Security Six with 4" barrel and for a short time longer a 6" barrel one. The Trooper has a very light trigger and I really like shooting it but the Security Six revolvers also are very nice to shoot, although a little stiffer because they haven't been shot as much. I'd say the two Rugers are more accurate than the Trooper (at least in my hands) but they all shoot very well.

Mike

It's a matter of taste, and there is no accounting for that. :)
I like the S&W. I like a good trigger, and my S&Ws have the best compared to the Ruger I have (SP101) or the DW's. Prefer the S&W looks too. My 629 is by far my favorite revolver, with a DA trigger to die for. I have to say though, Ruger service is really excellent. DW rules for accuracy...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top