JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get a full size .357...

Torn between a used GP100 or a new 686+

Both stainless, both 6"

The used Ruger is $500 and I can get the 686 for $600

Ruger is gun only, unknown round count

686 is as new, newer model, unfired with box/papers

Talk me out of one or the other

If you don't know the difference between a newer S&W and and older one or you don't care, I would recommend the S&W all day long. It will have a better trigger, its lighter and has the same accuracy potential and a better resale value.

I had a 686-2(?)
Old enough to have a firing pin on the hammer.

Always regretted letting it go.

Never had a DA Ruger, but have liked all my previous Rugers.

BUT thinking of my old 686 is what got me thinking about a full size revolver again.

Get and older 586-4 ...not as shiny but well built stock there.

Or the Ruger GP100 does well now, what Smith used to do well.
Personally I am avoiding new S&W revolvers, nothing like they once were.

Last Edited:
Old SW
New Ruger. What are you using it for?

Silver 44 4 legged preditor
Black 38 two legged......

IMG_20181127_174800.jpg

Well, that Shorty .44 will certainly rattle your teeth and add to any present or future Arthritis. And of course your night vision will be long gone.

If someone didn't like it they wouldn't keep building them. I'm also not interested in anything built with the Lawyer Lock.:(:(:(

I haven't fired a DA revolver in years, the old Smith being the last.

I think it's going to be the 686.

Better resale value, if I change my mind.
Familiarity of course and then I know the history of it as well.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either. I guess I would lean toward the Ruger as everyone of their revolvers I ever shot or owned was an absolutely solid, well made piece. I have less experience with Smiths, though my Model 29 is, easily, my favorite handgun, bar none.

I guess I would lean toward the Ruger as everyone of their revolvers I ever shot or owned was an absolutely solid, well made piece.
I will have to agree with this.
I have owned four and my last, a 4" GP 100 was excellent - NO complaints - heck it had dang near a S & W quality trigger. A bit heavy & 'clunky' but the GP is more akin to an 'L' frame Smith than a 'K' frame - as in my Mod 66 shown above.
If a 6" GP were to present itself to me for a good price I am not so sure I would let it go....

I will have to agree with this.
I have owned four and my last, a 4" GP 100 was excellent - NO complaints - heck it had dang near a S & W quality trigger. A bit heavy & 'clunky' but the GP is more akin to an 'L' frame Smith than a 'K' frame - as in my Mod 66 shown above.
If a 6" GP were to present itself to me for a good price I am not so sure I would let it go....
Not a DA, but I've been extremely happy with my New Model Blackhawk. Ruger builds their revolvers like tanks for sure.

If only someone had done a head to head comparison between the GP100 and the 686...

I have many older S&W double action revolvers including a 686 (all are "pre-lock" no Hillary Hole) and two Ruger single action revolvers but no DA Rugers. I'm not too interested in newer S&W revolvers except the Model 327 TRR8. The Ruger DA revolvers seem to be well-built and are probably more value for the money compared to the newer S&W revolvers. Be careful with some used newer S&W revolvers because it looks like for a time they had a QA problem and were drilling the barrel hole in the frame a little off-center. I think they corrected the problem and the new ones are OK but if you are looking at a used newer one inspect it carefully and make sure the barrel isn't off-center.

Last Edited:
As someone that has a few of each, the ones I like best are my Ruger GP100s. The Smiths have a side plate that I worry about and those screws do come loose. On the older Smiths, that front screw is a specially shaped one to hold the yolk. Good luck replacing that if you lose it. S&W supposedly sent me the last stainless one they had for my 681-1, but it got lost in the mail. The Rugers don't have a side plate or those screws to lose. Solid frame and the trigger assembly drops out the bottom. That's why I'm always looking for a buyer for my nickel 586 no-dash and my 681-1. I much prefer my fixed sight GP100s (all 5 of them). My bump in the night gun is a 4", stainless, fixed sight GP100 with a tritium front sight loaded with 38 +p.

In reality, you can't really go wrong with either. In fact, you could buy both to compare. I did! :D

Good luck!

I intend to have both at some point.

Just a toss up now.

$100 difference was the decider. I think it's a good deal at that price and it was the only one. There were a few GPs out there, seems like I can pick one up anytime later on.

An unfired 686+ for $600 was hard to pass up, while I had money to blow on a gun

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads