JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing a deer rifle. I have several friends who have .270's and like them. My 15 yo son will also shoot this rifle so I am looking for a configuration that will produce the least amount of recoil with a rifle that is both reliable and accurate.

Is .270 ammo more difficult to come by in tight situations?

What think you?

.270 is probably the second most popular caliber after the .30-06. I would have no concern about ammo availability, and, everyone chambers something in that caliber. If anything, you'll have too many choices!

Bob

I'd bite the bullet (so to speak) and start handloadin' so you could use whatever cartridge best fits your needs, and not have to worry about ammo availability (not that the 270 has a problem in that regard). If you handload, you can use lighter bullets and powder charges (never go below minimum recommended loads) to keep recoil at a minimum. As your son grows the loads could be taylored accordingly.

270 is very easy to come by.
As for rifle choice, that is tough to answer. Depends on the shooter.
Hard to beat a Model 700 for economic good shooter.
All I can say is that if you go for a lighter gun to make it easy for the kid to pack, it will kick more.
Get a standard weight bolt gun and it will fill the bill very well.
You could look at a ruger number 1 also. They shoot great and the kid might just learn to make the first shot count! You will be surprised at how quick the reloads can be with a good single shot falling block action too.

For your stated purposes, your choice of caliber cannot be challenged by anyone with much experience: A cartridge that can be enjoyed by yourself and your son, and has few equals for practicality and availability.

If you choose not to handload, there are "reduced recoil" factory loads available for your son to start with. Do not make the mistake of making him "cowboy up" to recoil. He'll acquire a flinch that he may not lose for the rest of his life. Alternately, find a friend that handloads to assemble light recoiling loads (published in most reloading books) for your son. 100 grain bullets and 90 grain bullets are ideal for this purpose, and the .270 can be loaded down to kick noticeably less than a factory .30-30.

As to rifles, each has his favorites, but for out-of-the-box accuracy, availability and reliability, it is hard to beat a Remington M700. A 700 ADL synthetic is very economical, and extremely accurate. Also, it is light for your son to carry. Install a SIMS "Limbsaver" recoil pad, and with the reduced loads mentioned above, your son will fall in love with how the gun allows him to shine when shooting.

A good scope of 3x-9x variable capability is the cherry on the top of your fine choice. Bushnell at the economical end, Leupold at the top price range.

As your son grows (and for you now), the .270 can be loaded up with proper bullets to take all North American game when carried by someone with confidence and skill. Find a copy of Jack O'Connor's "The Hunting Rifle", and you will know this to be true, and understand why the .270 has such a huge following.

You are leaps and bounds ahead of most guys with your choice of caliber. Choose a good gun and good scope, and you will never regret the .270.

Good Luck and Good Hunting to both of you!

I just bought a Marlin XL7 in 30-06, I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but the reviews are uniformly positive, equal to a Savage rifle in quality and performance, save a nicer recoil pad on the Marlin, for about a hundred dollars less. As of last night just before closing Dicks Sporting Goods in Gresham (where GI Joe's used to be) had one in .270 still on the shelf for $299 plus they offer $10 off any firearm under $300 and if you buy a sling or some ammo to bump the total at the register over $300 they'll send you a $10 gift card in the mail. I walked out the door with a rifle box under my arm for $301 and change and I'm expecting a $10 gift card in the mail in a few weeks.

According to a few other forums these rifles are starting to get a little scarce in more than one caliber, wal-mart is supposed to carry them, but the wal-mart in wood village didn't have any, I don't know if there's another wal-mart on the east side that sells firearms. The Bi-mart next to gun broker in Tigard had one in .243 for $275ish and the girl at the counter said it was the only caliber they'd had that rifle in since last year, although she did say she could order one in another caliber, she wasn't sure how long it would take to receive it though. Seems like Marlin might be having a hard time keeping up with demand, I wouldn't be surprised if the price comes up a little bit before summer.

Unfortunately, the configurations that are best at reducing recoil, are also the configurations that make it a bit harder to carry for a young one, due to weight.

As for the caliber, the .270 Win is a wonderful caliber, easy to reload, and seems to be inherently accurate. Recoil really isn't bad either.

A friend and I both have .270 Win. rifles, but they are polar opposites. His is a Winchester model 70 lightweight. Mine is a Remington 700 Sendero (heavy barrel, HS Precision stock). Both are wonderful rifles, well suited for the caliber.

Of course, I don't think his can match mine when it comes to accuracy. :p

4229989510_ceeda81659.jpg