JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a TOZ 78-1 that I bought new for $129, and I have a Ruger 10/22 both are scoped. I find myself shooting the TOZ 90% of the time, if there is no wind the TOZ easily shoots under 1" @ 100yds. However the 10/22 unscoped is a fun varmint chaser :D

Personally, I love my Remington 597 (semi-auto).

I'm also planning on getting a Savage Mark II F (bolt gun). I've read great reviews about it, and for about $150, seems like you can't go wrong.

what is your budget ? you can spend a little for a prety accurate gun,like the Marlin model 60 and ruger 10-22,or blow the whole years' salary on a tack driver.
You can also blow the years' salary turning a 10-22 into a tack driver. :)

.22's are a whole lot of fun for not much in ammo costs.

I want something without breaking the bank. I am new to shooting (Just bought Ruger Mk III) and a gun club membership. Want something which can be used by me and my wife and has a scope.

This combination has been a popular duo.
The rifles can be had at Wal-Mart and Bi-Mart for as low as $169.00

The Weaver scopes sell for around $200.00
I have read that the Weaver RV9 scope works well on this rifle.

However, there are other brand scopes with 3-9x32 A/O (adjustable objective) for less money.

I have shot 22's without scopes for a long time. You can 'get started' with the rifle and add a scope later.

The Ruger can be configured in many ways.
Theres LOT's of goodies available to personalize this rifle.

LINKY>>>http://www.amazon.com/Customize-Rug...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292728813&sr=1-1

I want something without breaking the bank. I am new to shooting (Just bought Ruger Mk III) and a gun club membership. Want something which can be used by me and my wife and has a scope.

Check this out>>>Speed Strip Kit
This may help the folks that have problems with field stripping their MK111's
Check out the video half way down the page!

OK, now back to the OP!:D

what is your budget ? you can spend a little for a prety accurate gun,like the Marlin model 60 and ruger 10-22,or blow the whole years' salary on a tack driver.
You can also blow the years' salary turning a 10-22 into a tack driver. :)

.22's are a whole lot of fun for not much in ammo costs.

+ .02 for this gentleman's suggestions. I've owned both and they are very good entry level 22lr rifles. The ruger 10-22 has the advantage of being up graded to a much more accurate rifle than when new and it has the availability of a bazillion aftermarket parts.:s0155:
I have a barska 3-12x50mm illuminated reticle scope on my 10-22. It comes with the scope rings so you are ready to throw it on with no additional parts. Best of all, it was 90.00 from midway. Barska Euro-30 Pro Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 50mm Illuminated 4A Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Here is a post I started to show off what can be done with a 10-22. Beware....once you get started, they suck your wallet dry.:(:D
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/rifle-shotgun-discussion/44584-show-your-10-22-builds.html

Only thing I'd add is, try to get a scope with as low power as possible. I have a Weaver scope that goes from 2.5x7. The lower power is good when learning because you don't notice as much how your aim moves and shakes.

if your wife is also a beginner,get the ruger as it's got a shorter stock ...depends on how lanky your wife is of course.
also,we started 2 new shooters out with red dot scopes,and the hits came IMMEDIATELY. No magnification,no ligning up 2 sights and the target,just point and click...er,shoot. I still have them mounted as I learned to like them right off the bat.

My 22 rifles include: (2) ruger 10/22's, a Sig 522, Henry's lever, Savage Mark II, Mossberg 42M, Marlin 15Y, older bolt action marlin, older semi auto marlin and a Marlin Papoose. I like the Sig the best for Semi-auto or the Savage for the bolt action (no problem hitting large primers @100 w/ the Savage)

Red dot's are for relatively close ranges and the scope would be for longer distances so what would you be shooting more of? The scope link I posted above has a red dot you can turn on/off, then it's a regular duplex style scope.

I just got membership at TCGC. So mostly I will be shooting targets at 50/100 yards. Occasionally I might go to my friends ranch and shoot around empty soda cans.

I have Walther G22 like the one pictured. I have a Walther Brand red Dot scope on it, and it is very accurate, as well as a blast to shoot.

I also have a 10/22 that I enjoy shooting.

The kids like both also, so there are at least some options out there for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

23885-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Depends what you want.

Bolt action: Savage.

Semi Auto: Marlin 60 or 795. If you want to mod a bunch, get the 10/22. The Marlins are much more accurate out of the box in my experience, cheaper too.

#1 walmart is the debil

That said, I really like bushnell scopes. I have had 4 so far and all of them have been excellent. Good glass, hold zero, dial in accurately. I got a bushnell trophy 3x9 for like $60 or 80 a few years ago and it has served me very well. I will put it on 22's, had it on a couple hunting rifles and it has worked great. Excellent scope for what I paid. I think you can get them at bi-mart.

For the 22 I would consider going with a 2-7x or 3-9x. Thats about all you will ever need.

Oh, and another option on the 22 rifle, the Winchester model 77. Fun little gun, very cool, and you don't see them everywhere. Only downer is you cant get the 25-30rd mags like you can for the 10/22, and there really isn't any aftermarket support for them. But they are sweet guns. One of these days I will get my filthy hands on one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top