JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I sold my Mare's Leg and have some $$$ to spend on a new toy.
I really like bolt action rifles - probably because I learned to shoot as an army cadet in England using a Lee Enfield No.8 rifle.

I don't need anything too expensive or fancy - under $500 for the rifle itself.

I want a .22LR as I already have a Savage .17HMR and a Marlin .22WMR

I'm open to single shot, mag fed or tube fed.

I like wood stocks over synthetic.

so far I've done a bit of searching and am thinking about one of the following:

Savage Mark II BV - $265
savage_markII-BV.jpg

Savage Mark II classic - $450
savage_mark_II_classic22.jpg

CZ 452 American - $396
13240.jpg

and I'm even considering buying a Marlin 981T - $180
photo_981T.jpg

Anyone have experience with these and input or suggestions?

I have a CZ 452 Lux that I enjoy shooting. Iron sights and a slightly different stock, but otherwise I believe it's the same as the American. Very accurate - certainly more than I can achieve with my poor shooting. Build quality seems to be good, although some plastic is used (like in the magazine well) - I understand this varies depending on what they happen to be importing at the time. It seems like magazines are kind of expensive and can be hit-or-miss on whether you can find them (kinda like high-caps are now...). Probably one of my favorite rifles.

I also recommend one of the CZ's if you insist on buying something currently made. The only .22 bolt action I have ever handled that I liked as well as the Winchester 52.

These are very accurate, very well made and beautifully finished guns in contrast to typically cheap .22's you can get at any Bi-Mart.

i also own a 452. one of the finest shooting .22's i have ever shot, especially for the money. shoots every bit as good as my brother in laws browning at half the price. it also does not seem to care what brand of ammo you feed it. any ammo i have shot through mine, easily shoots 1" or better at 50yds.

I say go for a Savage MkII Mako!

Although its not something you would want to pack on a hike, its pretty cool.

I havent shot mine yet, but have read nothing but good reviews of its accuracy.

I ended up getting a Savage Mark II Classic for $400 so that satisfies my .22LR bolt rifle need for now.

I also picked up a Savage 12 BVSS in .22-250 for long range work. Looking forward to breaking both of these in and getting them dialed in.

I ended up getting a Savage Mark II Classic for $400 so that satisfies my .22LR bolt rifle need for now.

I also picked up a Savage 12 BVSS in .22-250 for long range work. Looking forward to breaking both of these in and getting them dialed in.

Nice - let us know how it shoots when you get a chance.

Savage makes a very accurate rifle for a good price. I bought a Savage 12FV in .22-250 and it regularly shoots 1/2 MOA at 300 yards with Winchester White box ammo! I was impressed to say the least. Good luck with your new toys. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top