Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which 1911 would you choose for concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by rayd8, Apr 21, 2009.

1. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

An extension of CharlesAFerg's post, I'd like to hear opinion's on 1911s for concealed carry.

I'm not too familiar with these other than reading about them, though I've fired a full size Kimber and liked it (found it very accurate). I've been gravitating towards the Kimber Ultra Carry, though I've read (on forums) that there are reservations about reliability.

I'm leaning to

Which 1911 to you carry? Why? Confident of it's reliability? What do like/hate about it?

Thanks!

Bonus Question - What's the difference between Kimber Ultra Carry II and Ultra Covert II other than double price??

2. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

I'd never carry a 1911 as a daily.
    my .02

3. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I've carried a Colt 1991 and a Kimber Custom II in .40. I would carry either of them again, and while I've never carried anything smaller I do like how the full size guns carry.

Then again, I carry a G17 year round :)

4. rayd8

Care to elaborate? Too big?

5. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Too big, especially if you want any real capacity (I think, i'm not THAT familiar, and haven't any experience with the compacts) safety on with hammer cocked, controls too far out for my grip/hands (on all that I've laid hands on) etc.
    just not my thing.

6. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

I carry the Kimber UC daily, and I like it. It is 100% reliable, alot lighter than my full size tle/rl.

7. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

I carry a Colt Government or Commander XSE every day. Holster option is the key. :) Im a big Colt 1911 fan.

8. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

in the winter I carry a Kimber ultrac carry II in stainless. its small enough to hide under winter wear and also strong enough to penetrate winter wear....
    (lol I said penetrate..heeheheh)
    and they arent as heavy as many other things one could carry.

9. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have an Officer's model, but its more for show than go. It is 100 percent reliable and the controllability is not a problem. I have heard of and personally seen problems with the compact Kimbers but you can say that about any gun. I don't think its a design flaw, you just have to figure out which loads work with your individual pistol. This is true for any make or model firearm. The beauty of the 1911 design is the ability to customize it to fit your specific needs. Grip safety, slide release, regular safety, stocks, sights and magazine release can all be tailored to your liking. If you want something out of the box ready, you might look at the new S&W as well as the other contenders.

10. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

my ultra ten had a rough start then sorted itself out, but a 3" barrel just didn't handle or shoot as well for me, the muzzle blast was more pronounced and the shorter slide doesn't conceal any better than a 4 1/4". You could look at a kimber Compact, it has the same shorter frame but a 4 1/4" barrel, but the recoil control system is weak requiring the spring to be replaced every 800 rounds or so.

As you move up the Kimber price scale you are paying for more bells and whistles, not more or better fitting. I've had 4 of their "custom shop" guns ( gold combat, pro elite, original eclipse and original CDP) and they not assembled or fitted any better than any of their regular guns ( and I've been through many of them)

Personally, I'd buy a Springfield, Dan Wesson, S&W or Colt before a Kimber again.

11. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I like to carry my Kimber Pro Carry. Of course I like to rotate several different guns. For 1911s though the Pro Carry is nice because of the weight savings with the aluminum frame. The Ultra Carry would have that same benefit. I personally just like the commander sized 1911s most (full length grip frame, shorter 4-4.5" barrel/slide). If I get another Kimber it will likely be a Pro CDP. The CDPs are made in the Kimber custom shop and have a melt treatment to all the edges. It is probably unneeded but they look damn nice. The Pro Carry is about the most affordable though. I may consider getting a Stainless Pro Carry some time in the future also. I doubt I'd get a Stainless HD. They have stainless slides and frames and might be nice for shooting but heavier for carry.

Sometimes I carry an officer's size 1911 and the shorter grip frame does help prevent printing a little more than a full size frame, but mine is an RIA Compact and it's heavy compared to the Pro Carry.

If you do get an Ultra or Pro Carry, or any aluminum framed 1911, I recommend getting Wilson Combat magazines, or similar, to protect the frame. I previously used the old style Kimber and Chip McCormick mags in mine and don't see any excessive wear on the frame but I have seen pictures of guns that look pretty torn up. Get magazines that don't have the sharp points on the followers that can dig into the frame.

12. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

+1. The proper belt and holster combination make carrying a full-size or Commander-size 1911 pretty easy in most envirnonments. The thin frame also contributes to its easy carry characteristics. Much easier (at least for me) to conceal than a doublestack 40 or 9 mm. I seldom leave home without a Combat Commander or full-size 1911.

13. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

i think the holster might be more important question

14. 9mmPDX

9mmPDX 9miWofPDX Member

Springfield EMP 9mm

PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg

15. rayd8

Thank you to all the responders!! This why this is my favorite online destination. I now have some direction for further research.

I think I will pursue something with a full grip, but a compact aluminum frame, possibly a Kimber CDP, and it looks like Wilson mags are a must. I have a feeling holster selection will require a bit of trial and error though. I've seen good things about the Milt Sparks.

Once again, I truly appreciate the insight.

Best Regards,

-Mike

16. Vigilante

Vigilante Olympia New Member

Anyways, it goes to show that pretty much any firearm can be concealed under clothes, ****, once I concealed a pair of mac10s.:D

17. Maddwarf

Maddwarf Eugene New Member

I've carried a Springfield micro-compact (3" barrel) in .45 for quite a while. I use a DeSantis IWB holster. The thing I've found with 1911s in IWB rigs is to buy one that shields your skin from safety, hammer, slide serrations etc.
    Mad

18. Speedsteel

Speedsteel Oregon Member

Full size Kimber-Galco SOB, Para P-13-Galco SOB, Colt Officers-Galco SOB,
    but not all at the same time.

100% reliability all the time, if thier built right.

19. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Currently I'm carrying a Kimber Pro Carry TLE/RL on a OWB holster. A light weight vest keeps it hidden or I carry a Colt Government in a IWB. Both are very comfortable to carry and easy to hide on my medium size frame. The thin slide and single stack mag make it a real pleasure. 9 rounds should do the trick... I have yet to find a good way for me to carry a extra mag...

20. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

For light cover garments, you might try a mag pouch from The Wilderness in horizontal configuration. I have one and it disappears in plain sight. I usually carry two spare mags in a regular leather pouch from Milt Sparks, but sometimes clothing makes that difficult. The little wilderness pouch is excellent for those times when only light cover is appropriate. You can find them at http://thewilderness.com

Last edited: May 2, 2009