JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an H&R single shot and the trigger is way too heavy. I've read that his can be fixed but because you have to knock out pins to get to it, I haven't tried it yet. Hard to complain about a $120 rifle though and with some extra weight in the rear (BB's in the stock maybe) and a trigger fix it may be more accurate. As is it isn't much better at 100 yards than my favorite 22lr, they are both consistent sub two moa shooters from bench rest.

Bimart has the Savage bolt stainless in this weeks flyer.

OK, I'm responding to my own post...

I knocked the pins out and used a 600 grit flat stone on the business ends of the trigger and hammer and then I bent the hammer spring a bit as I figured it was lots more force than was necessary. I also put about 2 pounds of bb's into the stock so the rifle balanced just ahead of the trigger assembly. The actual wet stone work was easy, the factory parts were rough, took maybe 50 strokes on each part to get them super smooth. With my new easy trigger I took the rifle to the range tonight and with wind gusts averaged about 1.5" at 100 yards. This is a .5" better than I've been able to average with this rifle. Not bad for a cheap rifle.

So yesterday I finally made a decision and got my Anniversary/Father's day present. I went with the Savage 93R17 BTVS with a Sweet 17 scope 6-18X40. My wife says it stays locked up until Friday, which is our 16th wedding anniversary. Maybe I will be able to get to the English pit on Saturday. Bought it at Wholesale Sports and had them bore site the scope for me. Hopefully that saves me some ammo. (and time) I've read mixed reviews about the sweet 17 scope, so I will post my thoughts after the first use and then if anything changes, I will update.

On another note, anyone recommend something to clean the outside of the SS barrel with? Thanks!

I have a Marlin 917 and a Mossberg 817. The Marlin is new and not broken in yet. I did the pen spring mod and the trigger is light and smooth. The mossberg was cheap ($149) but was fairly accurate even though the trigger is awful. The mossberg will be the truck gun! I recommend using Flitz metal polish on the stainless barrel. It will make it gleam.

Today the boy and I went out to The English Pit shooting range. We took the new Savage 93R17 BTVS with a Sweet 17 scope 6-18X40, the Savage .22 rifle, the Glock 22 and the Glock 17 with the .22 conversion kit. After sighting in the .17 at 50 yards, we took it over to the 100 yard range and I was blown away at how accurate this gun is at 100 yards. (especially since I was the one pulling the trigger!) Even the boy (11 years old) was hitting the bullseye at 100 yards. All in all, a great morning at the range.

Congratulations on your new rifle. I put a little better scope (Vortex)on my Savage as well and am very happy with rifle and scope combo. I would be interested to know if you are having any trouble with the mag. Some people seem to be having trouble and some don't. My is very sticky and once in awhile won't feed. I still love this gun

I have a Marlin 917 and a Mossberg 817. The Marlin is new and not broken in yet. I did the pen spring mod and the trigger is light and smooth. The mossberg was cheap ($149) but was fairly accurate even though the trigger is awful. The mossberg will be the truck gun! I recommend using Flitz metal polish on the stainless barrel. It will make it gleam.

I use a 17hmr as a truck gun in my Tonka vehicle!

Congratulations on your new rifle. I put a little better scope (Vortex)on my Savage as well and am very happy with rifle and scope combo. I would be interested to know if you are having any trouble with the mag. Some people seem to be having trouble and some don't. My is very sticky and once in awhile won't feed. I still love this gun

We went through 150 rounds today. (100 Hornady and 50 CCI) I didn't have any trouble at all with the Hornady ammo, but the CCI ammo I used would sometimes not want to feed. I found that if I pushed up on the mag from the bottom, it would feed ok. I noticed that the CCI ammo would often sit in the mag flat, where the Hornady ammo would be pointing up slightly.

Definitely not the smoothest mag in the world, but I don't have any real complaints. (yet)

The CCI/ Hornady comparison is exactly what I was talking about. I have two mags. One has more problems with this than the other. As problems go this one is truly a minor irritation compared to the fun I have had with this rifle in the last 6 months. I wonder if there is an after market mag available? Maybe with a larger capacity?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top