JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, let's say you are in your early 40's, happily married, you have zero debt, kids college is paid for. Let's say you have a fairly sizable amount of money being held in USD. With the current turmoil with the USD, where would you put your cash? Simply holding USD is a losing proposition as inflation is wiping out the value and there are no saving or bonds that offer sufficient returns to mitigate inflation losses. Not to mention I fear the next two years will be especially bad for the dollar.

Appreciate any input...

DJM

You don't mention if you own your own home. I would expect house prices to bottom out in most areas. Already, in some areas in the Pac NW, you can buy W a monthly payment cheaper than renting. I'd start there.

You don't mention if you own your own home. I would expect house prices to bottom out in most areas. Already, in some areas in the Pac NW, you can buy W a monthly payment cheaper than renting. I'd start there.

Yes, we own our home, fully paid off. Maybe rental property?

IMHO precious metals, especially silver.
Don't think of it as a money maker, just a place holder.
I will hold it's value even through the transition into a new currency.
Of course diversity is always critical when you're talking investment.

Silver, ammo and some mechanism to generate your own electricity (i.e.: solar, microhydro, diesel generator, wind). If I were in such a position, I would concentrate on positioning myself to be oblivious to the market/society conditions. Huge garden with seed stores, aquaponics setup with tilapia and multiple methods of water purification would help protect your family from the volatility of (insert condition here). Bug out location? Multi-fuel vehicle? Mini biodiesel plant? YMMV.

Yes, I am not looking to *make* money, I just want a reasonable store for my money. The thing is, if I buy $50k in silver, I'd have nearly 100lbs of silver. Well, it is lighter than ammo. BTW, I actually do think the USD is on its way out. At the very least I think the IMF is going to re-peg/re-value the dollar as we "savers" are going to get screwed.

DJM

Guns and ammo.

As much as I'd like to go spend $100k on guns and ammo, there are a few things to keep in mind:

If I buy that many guns, I will attract the attention of the ATF.
Where does one safely store 10 and 10 of thousands of rounds?
How liquid are guns and ammo? If things get really ugly, how wise is it to sell/barter guns and ammo -- basically, arming a potential fore.

DJM

As much as I'd like to go spend $100k on guns and ammo, there are a few things to keep in mind:

If I buy that many guns, I will attract the attention of the ATF.
Where does one safely store 10 and 10 of thousands of rounds?
How liquid are guns and ammo? If things get really ugly, how wise is it to sell/barter guns and ammo -- basically, arming a potential fore.

DJM

Your cross to bear.

I have customers that have lived for over a year paying their house payments, gas, insurance, etc by selling their collections slowly when the econ struck.

There are gun safes, and insurance for guns.

Guns and ammo are EXTREMELY liquid, and you can decide who you sell them to so you aren't "arming a foe"

Hummm.
So if SHTF REAL bad,who will trade you food for a hunk of metal?
What are futures driven by? How good the economy WILL be?
How would you transport these to a market to sell? With armed guards,right?
Will the buyer have better guards? Or pay your guards better?
If it gets bad enough,only thee baddest will be able to transport and trade precious metals or stones.The ones you thought you had on line will be long gone.

Rentals? The renters ain't worken,so how they gunna pay the rent? How are you going to maintain the property?

This may have worked before.Before the whole world was in dept way past their ears

A farm,some livestock,some food storage,and some guns and ammo.Different things for comfort and shelter.
Solar power and battery banks.Wind mills or equipment to make power generation

The BASICS of life.

All these scenarios that everyone gave are dependent on how bad the economy gets.

Investments-Skills-Precious metals-Land-Tangible assets, food, the ability to produce energy, fuel, clean water, grow food, organic farming and ranching?

If you are already holding some gold and silver, that would be good, if not, get a fast education on junk silver, small denomination gold coins?

100,000 goes fast these days, Safety and security for my family and friends, likely buy some acreage for a retreat in Idaho or Montana, eastern Oregon eastern Washington.

Stock up on basics, food , water, medical, shelter, communication, clothing, alternate fuels , energy, transportation -horses :) and lots of guns and ammo.

I was looking into setting up for bullet manufacturing Swaging- several thousand to get manual equipment to manufacture jacketed bullets. Corbin Bullet of Oregon.

An associate is currently undertaking / investing several million on start up of an organic farm/ranch and already selling to local community, when completed the estimate is a minimum of 4M annual gross sales. And if the world goes south they will be in a very strong position either way win/win.

Anything and everything you can do to provide for your loved ones, if the "S" hits the only thing that will really matter is the safety of your good friends and family.

You could burn up 100K on weapons, ammo, mags, body armor, night vision, optics, accessories, and professional training real fast. Not to mention some high end electronics communications surveillance and security equipment.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top