Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where's your favorite uncongested place to camp outside of Portland?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

We're packing up and heading out to spend the night either out by the beach or somewhere on Mt. Hood. I haven't found a 4Runner yet so we're taking the car, which means it has to be easily accessible. Everyone and their brother is camping this weekend, and we'd like to find somewhere that isn't absolutely packed. We were thinking maybe Clear Lake, Timothy Lake, or Frog Lake, but we're open to any suggestions you might have. Being able to shoot would be a huge bonus, but not required :thumbup:

2. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

The Olallie scenic area is always nice, I like Horseshoe Lake the best. I don't know about car access though, I have not been there in years. I have driven there in a '65 Mustang in the past. But that car has been places that a normal car would cringe at (Grandma used to take it Everywhere).

3. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

clear lake is one of my faves

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into both of them. Is clear accessible by car?

5. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

what one? the one on Mt hood or the one that is near the McKenzie river towards sisters?
    I think either is accessible by car.

6. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

7. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

I always go to clear lake on mt hood, free if you drive around the lake and stay out of the campground by the dam. most cars will make it if you go slow over the bumps , but a truck is definatly better... Although i would imagine the fire restictions are already in effect with the heat wave we have. I also go to browns camp area alot. Usually go to lyda camp or even better is jordan creek, both are in the same trail system and right up the highway from browns camp. Dont think you can shoot anywhere besides the pit by browns tho, and last time I was there about 2 weeks ago there were signs up already for the fire restriction.

8. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

================================================

I go to Elk Creek camp ground every year, about 20 walk in sites, it's close to Browns gravel pit, and i can get there in about 40 minutes. I live @ Hwy 26 and Corneilius Pass.

9. cjpayback1@verizon.net

cjpayback1@verizon.net 2130 nw 119th st portland or New Member

Spruce run park on th Nehalem river seems to be a pretty nice park, even though you have to pay
    Chuck