JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys, a friend needs help identifying this revolver and I'm no revolver expert. Thought I'd check with you all to get a rough idea of its value before she trys selling it.
What I know from just looking at it...
Smith and Wesson mod 19-5
.357 magnum
Mid eighties?
Pretty good condition
Serial number starts with AJC

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

here's a couple pics...

20210402_170721.jpg 20210402_170710.jpg

Hey Guys, a friend needs help identifying this revolver and I'm no revolver expert. Thought I'd check with you all to get a rough idea of its value before she trys selling it.
What I know from just looking at it...
Smith and Wesson mod 19-5
.357 magnum
Mid eighties?
Pretty good condition
Serial number starts with AJC

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

here's a couple pics...

View attachment 853439 View attachment 853440
Unless it has some warts I can not see, $600-$700 in today's market.
These are very nice classic firearms. The 19-5 was produced 1982-1986.

Best,
Gary

Last Edited:
po18
Thank you for your thoughtful , and well reasoned contribution to the thread.
I had mentioned that to the OP in a PM.
Best,
Gary
Well, there was a trace of snark in it... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the "pinned barrel" "recessed chamber" and pre-safety lock Smiths bring a premium as it is.

On an internet forum all posts, sooner or later, become a dart board. Usually sooner.

Last Edited:
While you can't always extrapolate manufacture date from the serial prefix, AJB and AJD are both from 1985. AJC is not shown which may mean that it was taken out of sequence, or just not included in the listing for some unknown reason.

The stocks are checkered Goncalo Alves target with speed loader relief cut. The trigger is standard, as is the hammer. Just as with everything gun related, S&W revolver prices are slowly on the rise - $800 to $1000 is about right. As was pointed out, with the original box, docs and tools there can be a significant increase.

Good luck with your sale.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, there was a trace of snark in it... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the "pinned barrel" "recessed chamber" and pre-safety lock Smiths bring a premium as it is.

On an internet forum all posts, sooner or later, become a dart board. Usually sooner.
The 19-5 was produced 1982-1988. The -5 was the engineering change that eliminated the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.
Best,
Gary

Thanks guys. I know she has no box or papers. Just a leather holster to go with it and 6 rounds of 357 mag haha
Show us a pic of the holster. Some can be worth a few$$.
Please, tell her not to store the gun in the holster, as sometimes this contributes to a corrosion problem.
Best,
Gary

Show us a pic of the holster. Some can be worth a few$$.
Please, tell her not to store the gun in the holster, as sometimes this contributes to a corrosion problem.
Best,
Gary
I didn't think to take a pic of the holster. But my suspicion is this firearm has been just sitting in the holster, untouched for 10+ years

FYI Gunbroker sale prices do not reflect the Gunbroker related expenses. A seller will not pocket the full amount of a sale from Gunbroker.
That may be the ask, but several
Completed auctions, went from $705-$830

By way of recent experience, even after paying GB fees, it's the best venue to getting top dollar. The gun in the pictures above is in very sharp condition, it ought to be worth toward $1,000 or more. And ask that, it may sell right away, it might take a couple of weeks. If it doesn't you can always drop the price. With such a nice example, I'd be surprised if you needed to. And, you might be surprised just how high it can go at auction.

People live in all kinds of places around the US. There are large market areas and small market areas. If you live in the sticks, it might not be easy for you to find a particular gun you like locally or even within reasonable driving distance. In such cases, GB is the place to go. So these buyers might pay a premium for the convenience.

I've seen well-handled Model 10's in retail gun shops since the Covid thing started, $500-$600. The Model 19 shown in the picture being a .357, that will always outperform the .38 Special in price. Plus, new revolver production is very limited and this fact alone has driven up prices. Check the Smith & Wesson MSRP of their current production, limited as it is. The current Model 19 price is $863. If you can find one for sale at present, which you cannot. I'd rather have the one shown in the picture anyway. Not having the box is a minus. Go back to the owner, ask her to look around for the blue box. Sometimes when people become "late," it turns out that they kept the box; their survivors just don't make the connection.

Condition is everything, and that looks real nice. Those original grips look nearly perfect and add a premium too.

Any original kit she can find like the little aluminum handle screw driver and cleaning rod, and even old ammo bring more to a sale. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top