JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is my home. I will live free right here or I will die right here.
I am from Ashland, Oregon, my home town where I grew up. I do miss the State of Jefferson.. Some part of me wants to be buried there and with the way things are going that may be sooner rather than later.. I don't really want to die in Tennessee.. I think I will make a song about this.. Thank God I live in a place where singing about poverty, despair and struggle is pretty popular. Bluegrass music is all about that. :D

I tell you there isn't a day that goes by I don't miss those Cascades, Siskyous and the other beautiful mountains of the Pacific Northwest. I am a refugee, but damn it, who knows what place is safe..

I would hope if SHTF, the State of Jefferson would declare autonomy from the state of Oregon and California and form its own nation.. I'd be happy to come back home and join you at that point.

I here you.
But its no better to our north or south. Even to our east, they are at a tipping point and won't last 10 years?

At least we have a growing season and water in Oregon.
Medic, We got water down here in the Southeast if things get too crazy in Oregon.. Just saying.. The growing season here is also a little longer once you get even mroe South :D OF course, there is more violent crime here in the cities, but it does seem isolated in the cities whereas smaller towns are better. There is methheads and opioid fiends here galore though, but I cannot say the Northwest is much different. I feel there are more conservatives here and you have many Sheriffs declaring 2A sanctuaries.. Many of states here are becoming Constitutional Carry, etc. Yes, many liberals from California and Northeast are moving here and trying to "FIX" things. I feel if SHTF the locals here who are heavily armed and are large in number may run these scumbags out of their state. I also could see also see counties declaring independence from their states and joining together. There is talk in Virginia even about the area outside of Nova rejoining West Virginia, which is allowed in their state's constitution. You basically have one ultra liberal metro area bullying a very red state that still has significant population. The one problem in the Northwest is that it is so, so rural. My feelings are there is not enough population in rural counties to offset the radical liberalism in the cities. That is the one advantage I can see here in the Southeast compared to the Northwest.

As of now, I am considering Tennessee, Kentucky and even Alabama (Huntsville area). Alabama has the advantage of warmer weather, but damn it also isin the worst tornado region in the world. Never underestimate tornadoes as I missed the death zone of the EF-4 tornado by 500 ft that hit the outer part of my apartment complex and destroyed a good amount of stuff around me. Even today many of the building in Nashville area are still demolished by that damned devil storm. I could literally hear the devil laughing when that giant food processor came ripping through the neighborhood. One advantage of Appalachian area is less tornadoes, but still has a temperate climate. As far as water, the area is so lush , it's like a jungle and reminds me a bit of Africa how thick and jungly it is. As well, we get rain in the Summer and don't have the droughts you have in the Northwest.

That being said, if you can survive in Oregon it's the best place to be.. I just fear the government there. Considering my grandmother's village in Belarus was exterminated by Nazis in the Holocaust and just the amount of family members I had bullied by cruel and heartless government officials, I just fear living in an environment where the government seems tyrannical. Where you live, make sure you are on the good side of the local Sheriff.. You may need his help if there is authoritarian rule during this crisis.

People have made some good points about North Idaho.. It may not be the bastion of survival and independence it once was. But, damn, how I miss that place. I remember going to Coeur d'Alene as a kid back when I lived in Eastern Washington. It was the most beautiful, untoched paradise where freedom and liberty was respected. Then again, even Eastern WA back in the 80s and 90s was pretty conservative place and really kept itself separate from the Western part of the state (which was also better than it is now). I really love the Cabinet mountains, Clark Fork River, Priest Lake and Pend O'Reille lake and the surrounding lakes. The Selkirk mountains running through Northeastern WA are the last piece of untouched wilderness in the state. I almost moved to Metaline Falls back in the day.. $400/mo for a nice little house with mountains around you. Yeah, it got 100in of snow, but , hey you had privacy and freedom back in the day.

@4Freedom, if things get too shaky, "stealth camping" might be a temporary option until you can get settled somewhere.
Overhead is relatively minimal, but if you have a lot of stuff you'd have to store it. But even so, costs should be low.

The obvious downside is that you definitely don't want to be on the road if the SHTF.

We drove through Idaho last year.
I wanted to show my wife the state I lived in as a young man.

It was packed with people!
And even though the places were familiar? Their former glory was completely diminished.

So I learned a simple truth.

You can return your body to the place that you came from.
But you can never go home again.

That would take a time machine.

I have a dangerously ungrounded hot tub.... ;):D:s0140:

Not really... I don't do human soup. :rolleyes:

@4Freedom, if things get too shaky, "stealth camping" might be a temporary option until you can get settled somewhere.
Overhead is relatively minimal, but if you have a lot of stuff you'd have to store it. But even so, costs should be low.

The obvious downside is that you definitely don't want to be on the road if the SHTF.
Damn, I don't even have a tent anymore.. Was meaning to get one, but finances have been tight..Yeah, think it's time to buy a few more survival items. Got to wait until I get my loan first.. I did live out in a tent and my car a long time ago when I was younger and homeless in the mountains of Southern Oregon and Portland. haha, I had a rough life, it's just been a while since I been in that situation. I wouldn't mind living off the land, but I didn't prepare to survive how I should have and it's been a long time since I lived out in the woods.

One problem with stealth camping in the Southern USA is we got a lot of people living in them woods.. And, well, let's just say, they not always friendly..Never ask em for moonshine.. You may end up turning into a farm animal being forced to make weird sounds. :s0112: o_O

One problem with stealth camping in the Southern USA is we got a lot of people living in them woods.. And, well, let's just say, they not always friendly..Never ask em for moonshine.. You may end up turning into a farm animal being forced to make weird sounds. :s0112: o_O
Paddle faster.jpg

Yeah, a bit of eyelid flutter there, like he's realizing... "Holy sheeee-it!" :D

Probably going to have to either ride it out here, or up in the gorge at Mom's place/BOL. Also have a standing offer to take over a space on some land in Clatskanie belonging to a friend.

If that's a plan, then mayhaps get to dispersed planting now. You'll see how they do on there own, or not, and can adjust accordingly.
Speaking of seasonal planting. Wonder if anyone has any input on inland Northern or Central Florida.. Almost Year round growing season, year round temperate weather (assuming you don't freak out with some heat/humidity), protection from hurricanes being away from the Coast and you don't get the big monster tornadoes you get in most of the Gulf states in the South. Northern Florida is pretty Southern and conservative as well and I don't see the state going totally left-wing, it is a true purple state which seems to be a tad bit bent on the conservative side more often than not. People don't realize that conservative Midwesterners migrate down there to offset the liberal Northeasterners and native Floridans are pretty conservative. Places like Gainesville, Tallahassee, even outside of Jacksonville come to mind. They even have plentiful amounts of fish (not just the ocean), deer, gator meat (I'd eat it if I was hungry) and other wild creatures. Not to mention Florida has what I am told is some of the largest amount of cattle grazing land in the country. Never realized that. Oh yeah, you are never lacking in water in Florida either. I'd avoid living on the Southern part of the state, especially near the Coasts.

One advantage of Florida is all the swamps.. Once you get to know them, they are pretty good places to hide out I hear. At least from the numerous amount of country songs I like to listen to. :s0112:

One problem with FLorida I can see is there is some sketchy and high crime places, but some towns are nice. I thought Gainesville was very nice visiting there and that part of Florida is very scenic and lot of jungly land. It is also not too expensive in that part.

Last Edited:
Speaking of seasonal planting. Wonder if anyone has any input on inland Northern or Central Florida.. Almost Year round growing season, year round temperate weather (assuming you don't freak out with some heat/humidity), protection from hurricanes being away from the Coast and you don't get the big monster tornadoes you get in most of the Gulf states in the South. Northern Florida is pretty Southern and conservative as well and I don't see the state going totally left-wing, it is a true purple state which seems to be a tad bit bent on the conservative side more often than not. People don't realize that conservative Midwesterners migrate down there to offset the liberal Northeasterners and native Floridans are pretty conservative. Places like Gainesville, Tallahassee, even outside of Jacksonville come to mind. They even have plentiful amounts of fish (not just the ocean), deer, gator meat (I'd eat it if I was hungry) and other wild creatures. Not to mention Florida has what I am told is some of the largest amount of cattle grazing land in the country. Never realized that. Oh yeah, you are never lacking in water in Florida either. I'd avoid living on the Southern part of the state, especially near the Coasts.

One advantage of Florida is all the swamps.. Once you get to know them, they are pretty good places to hide out I hear. At least from the numerous amount of country songs I like to listen to. :s0112:

One problem with FLorida I can see is there is some sketchy and high crime places, but some towns are nice. I thought Gainesville was very nice visiting there and that part of Florida is very scenic and lot of jungly land. It is also not too expensive in that part.

Simply too danged hot for our liking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads