JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, established that I can/will not carry at work.

I have a truck, but where to put a lock box that I can actually reach while seated? There is no way I can reach under the seat to insert a key, much less dial a combination.

I believe that a person is very vulnerable while their head is in the vehicle, rooting around in their lockbox with their keys/combinations and other items to store before going home. Parking lots are areas to avoid loitering around in, so how do most people do this?

Thanks for any input!

I have a keyed lock box attached to the seat post by a cable. When I get in to drive, I take out the gun and have it in the side pocket of the door or the crack in between the seats. When I get out, if I am going into a place where I cannot carry legally I just lock it back up.

Once you are inside your vehicle (either on your way to work or away from work) your EDC should be on you and accessible...at least in the glove box. Therefore, you only need to worry about storage while you are out of the vehicle.

Any lock box with a cable attachment will spoil most thieves day. Heck, a locking glove box will deter the vast majority of snatch and grabbers. If you want more secure means of storage you can install a locking safe that bolts to the floor and secures to the undercarriage. That is what I did in my truck.

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS4.jpg

@wenis,

i like that tocoma safe, its a little pricy but.... one question though, is it removable are does it bolt down some how?

I know someone that has one in a Ford and he says you could easily just rip the whole vault out because it just connects to plastic parts and a small pot metal plate. I am not sure about the Toyota installation. I think it is very unlikely anyone would take the time to try in a car robbery.

My Toyota Tundra extra-cab has a secret place I sometimes store a small revolver in. Easy to get to, if someone broke in they would not find it. Might work with other Toyota models also...

Once you are inside your vehicle (either on your way to work or away from work) your EDC should be on you and accessible...at least in the glove box. Therefore, you only need to worry about storage while you are out of the vehicle.

Any lock box with a cable attachment will spoil most thieves day. Heck, a locking glove box will deter the vast majority of snatch and grabbers. If you want more secure means of storage you can install a locking safe that bolts to the floor and secures to the undercarriage. That is what I did in my truck.

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS4.jpg

PlayboyPenguin I was hoping you could tell me what safe that is, if you don't mind?

thanks chuck

Dicks sporting goods carries this too. A couple different drawer models. Price range is $40-$60 depending on sales, etc. I like this application. I hadn't thought of bolting a safe into my truck. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a box I made out of 1/8 inch steel and welded together, this is also bolted to the floor of the truck. aA person could break in with the right tools but would take a bit, this will deter the smash and grab person...

This is the compartment just under the arm rest of the 02 Tocoma
P2050010.jpg
Box welded and bolted down
P2050011.jpg
note lined with 1/2 foam
P2050012.jpg

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS4.jpg

I'm sure this would stop the "smash and grab", the thing that would make me nervous about this type of safe is that it LOOKS like a safe. My fear would be that upon seeing it a thief might think it is holding something more valuable than a $500 gun, like it's stuffed with cash or jewels, and therefor worth a more time consuming theft. I like the idea of a safe that doesn't LOOK like a safe or is hidden in a secret location. Any more ideas on this?

I have a space in my dash that is crying for a hidden gun safe.:cool:

@wenis,

i like that tocoma safe, its a little pricy but.... one question though, is it removable are does it bolt down some how?

I can't speak to the Ford, but the Tacoma mounts with 2 bolts, one is an inch long, the other is two inches long, both bolts into metal.

You can get one of these on sale at costco for $200. They go on sale twice a year. I love it because I also keep my radar detector inside among other things. It will fit a full size glock as well.

On the very rare occasion that I go to the Post Office or copshop my .45 stays in the litter bag in my truck. I wrap a paper towel around it, stuff it in there, and make sure there are a few candy wrappers or some other actual trash on top. Hidden in plain sight. I'll bet the ghetto rats would steal my truck and drive it around for a week without ever finding the gun! That said, if I needed to lock my gun in the truck on a daily basis I'd weld up a steel box custom fitted into the console and bolted through the floor.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top