Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to shoot

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by kev350, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kev350

kev350 Gresham , Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone know of a good spot to shoot around the Gresham area?

2. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

One or two local bars and the MAX station seem to be popular:pOMG, I hate myself sometimes:bluelaugh::rolleyes:

3. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club This is a great club, much more than a place to shoot.

kev350 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. kev350

Yea the shootings happened by where I lived 1 1/2 ago. Nice area..........to move out of.

5. kev350

Oh yea I forgot about that one thanks PaulZ

6. Mister_E

Mister_E Oregon Active Member

Anyone know if this spot is still open? It is about a mile, maybe two PAST the Memaloose bridge, on the left hand side of the road.

Bunch of the AR15.com crowd USED to go up there, before the gravel pit was discovered. You park right off of the main road (hwy 224), walk up the hill a little way, and it's about 75 yds with the hillside for a backstop.

I think they nicknamed it 'the Dump', because lots of garbage tended to get left behind.

theDump2.jpg

theDump.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=45.196594,-122.179832&spn=0.000871,0.001725&t=h&z=19

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Nah I used to shoot at the first one a couple years back but they shut it down. I went there about a year ago when Memaloose was snowed in and they had dug up the road, put boulders in the way and posted it.

If the second one is the one I think it is it's too close to the road.

8. Mister_E

actually, they are the same one. just one pic from street level. they've always had the concrete dividers up there in the 'parking' area, and boulders, too. and from the road to the top where you would be shooting, is about 50-60 yds if i remember right. but I never saw any signs that said 'no shooting' posted. that's too bad, that one was easy to get to.

9. Bigfoot

I used to drive up the little hill years ago. I don't recognize the powerlines.

Google has a little direct link icon on the left side next to the printer icon.

I keep getting this nagging doubt about exactly how it was posted. I'm thinking that it was painted on a jersey barrier IOW it might not be official. It turned me away though. Might be worth a shot if the drive isn't too far. To me a year old memory is like trying to remember my first grade teacher.

10. Mister_E

funny, i didn't remember the power lines either, but i'm pretty sure that is the spot. i remember folks driving up the hill, too. I just parked in the lot and carried everything up. figured a car/truck up there would draw more attention from the popo.

thanks for the tip on the google link - learn something new everyday.

11. Bigfoot

Now I'm curious about that spot. I smoothed out the action of this tiny blowback 380 and I want to know if it helped it's reliability. I'm going to drive up there Sunday and pop off a few mags, I'll let you know how the place looks. I'll try and remember to take a camera. Unless it's officially posted I'm going to shoot, a couple dozen 380 rounds shouldn't bother anybody.

12. bigboy67

bigboy67 Milwaukie Active Member

I'll be headed thru that way on Sunday, maybe I'll stop and blast off some rounds too

13. Mister_E

Cool, would be good to know. I always liked that spot, as it was easier to get to than going up to the gravel pit. Plus with the wide open area between the shooting area and the parking lot, it was easy to see who might be coming up there.

By the way, just found a couple old pictures from a shoot we had up there a few years ago - the power lines ARE there ;-)

No, it doesn't have the range that the gravel pit has, but it was still a good 75 yds, with the hill as a backstop. I guess you could get a little more, but would have to be aiming up higher on the hill, and not sure if the forest folks would like that too much. i've seen guys sighting in their rifles up there before, or trying out hand loads, etc.

it would be a shame if it was locked-down. let us know how it goes.

14. Bigfoot

Looked good, way too busy for me to stop tho. There were 5-6 vehicles there so I drove on to another spot that I know of. On the way back there were about 10 vehicles.

Elbow your way in and have fun.

15. bigboy67

Couldn't make it over there, sounds like I'm glad I didn't. I just wish I had one good public shooting spot I could go to that wasn't all blown up by loads of people

16. Mister_E

That figures, all the gravel-pit crowd is probably down there, since the pit is supposedly closed? Oh well, there are other spots up the road a bit, too.

Thanks for the update.

17. Mister_E

IM000165.jpg

18. bigboy67

Nice spot..... Now take me there ! :)

19. Excavator

Excavator Pierce County New Member

Hey im new to the forum. I live in South King County WA, I used to go shooting at Tinkham Rd. Exit 42 off I-90 when I was a teenager until they closed it down. Now I don't know where to go besides gun ranges and they are lame. I just found out about the triangle gravel pit in the capitol state forest, that seems like a decent place to get some target practice. Does anyone know of a decent place to go shooting in washington state thats maybe a little more private? I looked up the R.C.W. for where a person can legally target practice and the law is pretty vauge. Seems like as long as you are shooting into a backstop and its at least 500 ft away from buildings, business, school, camping area, anywhere nobody is around to complain yada yada yada.... then your ok to shoot? Anyway I would really appreciate some feedback from some of you guys who know what your talking about and have some good spots. Thanks in advance!

20. Mister_E

LOL...bigboy, I did. See my earlier post in this same thread. That pic is a view of the shooting lane into the backstop (hillside). Not real long, about 75 yards, but easy to get to and clear shooting.

But as bigfoot reported, it can get crowded at times. ;)