JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I live in Hillsboro and Im looking to plink off a few rounds today. Usually I drive out to the tillamook forest, but if I can do it closer, I'd rather do that.

Anyone know of some areas where you know for SURE are legal and public property? Thanks in advance.

Beaver Dam quarry at Brown's Camp has been closed again. There are other areas within Brown's Camp but I've never tried them. I sometimes go to logging area in Johnson Rd on the way to Vernonia but it is about the same drive, plus, it ain't hospitable during rainy days.

Would like to see what other respond.

It's not a good time to be out shooting in the woods right now.
Not only are there others hunting, if you don't own a 4x4 truck I wouldn't go.

It's been about 8 years since I lived out there but Clatskanine had a little range that was open to the public on the weekend.
Pistol and rifle covered benches.
Hwy 30 towards the coast.
It's hump but if ya plan it right it makes for a full day.

After shooting head out of town towards the coast, hang a left behind the Safeway or what ever it is now (202)
It's an 11 mile climb to the top.
That takes ya to 47, take a right towards Jewell.
Bring a camera, there always monster Bulls in the preserves.
When ya get tired of looking at Elk stay towards the coast.
Keep an eye out there is a cool lil park with a waterfall.
Stay the course and you come out on the backside of the Astoria Tower.

Then you have the choice of returning home by the same path, using hwy 30 or 26.
I take 26 and stop in at Camp 18 on the way home.

Is this the Salmonberry Rd. you all are looking for?

E Salmonberry Rd, Zigzag, Clackamas, Oregon 97049

If so I won't be going there anytime soon. Wrong side of the big old city for me. I live west of Portland.

I probably won't be up there any time soon. Lack of gas money...

NK777- No that one is not right. I just spent the last half hour or so trying to find it. I don't have any maps of that area handy. But like said earlier. Start going on HWY 26 towards Seaside. There will be a View Point on your Right, away's up there. After you pass the View Point, on your Left, will be a gravel road (Salmonberry Rd). It's your first left after the view point. Turn go up it and it's clearly marked were the "ranges" are. *There is hunter's and wood cutters up there. But as long as you shoot with a good back stop you will be fine. (If you get to HWY 53 junction you have gone TOO far!)

Just take a drive up there..

...But like said earlier. Start going on HWY 26 towards Seaside. There will be a View Point on your Right, away's up there. After you pass the View Point, on your Left, will be a gravel road (Salmonberry Rd). It's your first left after the view point. Turn go up it and it's clearly marked were the "ranges" are. *There is hunter's and wood cutters up there. But as long as you shoot with a good back stop you will be fine. (If you get to HWY 53 junction you have gone TOO far!)

CaughtSteelin,
This is better but I'd still not just drive up there. Directions are too vague. Since you know the place so well, you can look it up in Google maps and paste the link in this thread. Or, once you find the place, place the pointing device (mouse) right on top of the place of interest, right mouse click and click on "What's here?" from the drop down menu. The coordinates will pop up in the text box beside the "Search maps" button. Cut-n-Paste the coordinates here.

So I google'd google earth. Never been there before, pretty sweet. I found it. You can take Shield's Road (45.785102,-123.44209) or Wheeler Road-The main one (45.780822,-123.431361). After looking at the map and driving it last week (my truck gps was showing the names of those roads), it's pretty simple.

Note, Salmonberry becomes those two roads.

Hope that helps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top