JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, not exactly "Portland", but this forum has a decent list, that's how I found some.

Well, yes, that's back to free areas. I was trying to think of a range or club that might work for you. I don't think there's any right there inside Portland geographics.

IBlue,

Sorry old chap, I mentioned my range as a general /potential motivator to join one.

As mentioned previously 'free' places to shoot come with scary, unsafe, untrained folks all around you...

Before you can become a member at my range (club) you take a 4 hour orientation class and if any of the saftey rules you're schooled on are ignored, you're tossed out and with very good reason. However, I've never seen a safety violation.

To be sure, I know nothing about membership range costs in your part of the world, but unless the cost is outlandish, it's worth it.

IBlue,

Sorry old chap, I mentioned my range as a general /potential motivator to join one.

As mentioned previously 'free' places to shoot come with scary, unsafe, untrained folks all around you...

Before you can become a member at my range (club) you take a 4 hour orientation class and if any of the saftey rules you're schooled on are ignored, you're tossed out and with very good reason. However, I've never seen a safety violation.

To be sure, I know nothing about membership range costs in your part of the world, but unless the cost is outlandish, it's worth it.

yeah, shooting at a private range was all i knew before COVID. Then all these local ones closed... :( plus, some don't allow rifle rounds and generally wouldn't have the 'distance'. I would love a large outdoor range and I agree with you 100% and wouldn't mind paying the fees. especially i am always out with wife and kids.

iBlue,

I see I'm preaching to the choir, sorry, for some reason I thought you were new to shooting.

My range is still going strong.

I guess because we have plenty of room between shooters, the range powers that be haven't insisted on masks.

Downtown?
not sure who all you know, but most of my antifa friends have decent day jobs. Of course that's anecdotal, but anecdotal experience is better than having read something on the internet.

Race, religion, political side - that's all great.

The fact that you have enough friends that are antifa is a a situation I'd never be in.

You need to expand you friend circle I think:confused::oops:

tv,

Would I be correct in thinking you sympathize with anti-fa members?

If so, why come to an overwhelmingly anti-anti-fa site?

Please, be so kind as to explain.

As I understand this old adage: You are the company you keep.

not sure who all you know, but most of my antifa friends have decent day jobs. Of course that's anecdotal, but anecdotal experience is better than having read something on the internet.

Or watched FOR YEARS on multiple news outlets... but, I'm sure there's a few who work the breakfast shift at McDonalds... that's probably why only Wendy's joints have been torched.

Next....:rolleyes:

Okay. First, there is no "free" legal place to shoot in Portland since it's against the law to discharge a weapon within city limits.
Off the top of my head there are three indoor ranges in Portland. They are all membership based, however A Place to Shoot is open to the public.
If you are looking for free shooting you need to get outside of city limits and get up in the forest. There's a thread for this that is really helpful if you have google maps installed on your phone or otherwise know how to use GPS coordinates.
I've been to a number of free places during the pandemic, let me know if I can share any notes.

Okay. First, there is no "free" legal place to shoot in Portland since it's against the law to discharge a weapon within city limits.
Off the top of my head there are three indoor ranges in Portland. They are all membership based, however A Place to Shoot is open to the public.
If you are looking for free shooting you need to get outside of city limits and get up in the forest. There's a thread for this that is really helpful if you have google maps installed on your phone or otherwise know how to use GPS coordinates.
I've been to a number of free places during the pandemic, let me know if I can share any notes.
Doesn't necessarily have to be Portland I am aware I have to be out of city limits. Could anyone point me to the spots. Majority of ranges have been closed due to pandemic I'm sure your all aware. I appreciate you all

IMHO the best shooting area I've been is North Wolf Creek out past Hillsboro. Proper shooting lanes. I recommend going early and going deep into the forest. The close in areas are nice but crowded. The place I discovered was probably a twenty minute drive into the forest and we set some targets out to 250 yards, set up clay pigeons on the walls and we had steel about 100 yards out.

On the eastside I'd recommend finding some BLM land (south of Corbett and the South Side of the Sandy River has a nice rope swing and swimming as a perk). Wildwood right outside of Sandy is nice.
Clackamas county has a bunch of shooting areas at gravel pits. The most famous and probably the closest(50 min) to Portland is Pit 36(the mile marker) right outside Estacada.

I haven't been yet but there's a spot outside St. Helens that looks interesting and then there's north of Carson, WA that I've also been told has some potential.

I'm going out to Cottonwood Canyon (2 hours from Portland) looking to do some distance shooting in the near future, I'll probably do a write up on it when I get back.

Good luck, be safe and don't use up all of your ammo.

IMHO the best shooting area I've been is North Wolf Creek out past Hillsboro. Proper shooting lanes. I recommend going early and going deep into the forest. The close in areas are nice but crowded. The place I discovered was probably a twenty minute drive into the forest and we set some targets out to 250 yards, set up clay pigeons on the walls and we had steel about 100 yards out.

On the eastside I'd recommend finding some BLM land (south of Corbett and the South Side of the Sandy River has a nice rope swing and swimming as a perk). Wildwood right outside of Sandy is nice.
Clackamas county has a bunch of shooting areas at gravel pits. The most famous and probably the closest(50 min) to Portland is Pit 36(the mile marker) right outside Estacada.

I haven't been yet but there's a spot outside St. Helens that looks interesting and then there's north of Carson, WA that I've also been told has some potential.

I'm going out to Cottonwood Canyon (2 hours from Portland) looking to do some distance shooting in the near future, I'll probably do a write up on it when I get back.

Good luck, be safe and don't use up all of your ammo.
You're awesomeeeeeeeee thanks buds

If it isn't listed, it's open...

Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests have very similar rules. Any spot with a back stop is fine. Know your target and what's beyond it...
Sorry dude, you gotta click links and look at maps. The whole forest is open, you'll have to go on a drive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top