JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the state continues on its path to Hell in a hand basket. I'm considering moving inland. What would you suggest?
Wyoming seems to be the most free state. But low population would be a major obstacle for establishing an IT consulting business. Montana, Arizona? What are your alternatives?

Sad to see this P.R.C. Kalifornification happening to the once great state of Oregon. Our family is planning to "vote with our feet" move to just outside of Boise area. Good nature trees mountains 30 mins northeast of Boise, yet good IT jobs in Boise with 4% unemployment. Check out these articles.
God speed. Be strong. Be of good courage. God bless America. Long live the Republic.

http://survivalblog.com/idaho-as-a-retreat-locale-by-jonathan-rawles/

http://www.survivalrealty.com/united-states/idaho/

We have used this gentleman for advice. I strongly recommend him:
Survival Retreat Consulting ID | WA | MT | WY
Todd Savage
There are 3 reasons why most folks fail at finding and securing their survival retreat. They lack a realistic understanding of what they need in a survival retreat. They waste valuable time on the internet searching for retreats that will never meet their unknown needs. They take one trip to their chosen locale and become overwhelmed with the amount of retreats to see and evaluate and give up, never to return. SRC fills the gap and specializes in helping clients like yourself identify, search for and find the perfect retreat, saving valuable time and resources! Click here to learn more!
http://survivalretreatconsulting.com/
http://survivalblog.com/redoubt/
Idaho
Population: 1.3 million (and about 2.1 million cattle.)
Population Density: 15.5 per square mile (Rank 15 of JWR's top 19 states).
Area: 83,437 square miles (rank 13 of 50).
Average car insurance cost: $608/yr. (rank 48 of 50).
Average home insurance cost: $326/yr. (rank 50 of 50).
Average Home Price in Clearwater County: $112,725
Average Home Price in Idaho County: $109,500
Average Home Price in Kootenai County: $112,849
Average Home Price in Latah County: $118,325 (skewed because of the large number of 120+ acre farms and ranches)
Crime Safety Ranking: 9 of 50.
Boston T. Party's State Firearms Laws Ranking: 97%.
Per capita income: $23,727 (rank 41 of 50).
ACT & SAT Scores Ranking: 15 of 50.

Plusses: Low Very low crime rate. (For example, it ranks second from the bottom in car thefts of the 50 states.) Low property taxes. Inexpensive building permits. Minimally intrusive government. Inexpensive car registration ($20 to $50 per year, plus a one-time-only $15 plate fee.) Low car insurance rates. Low health insurance rates. Extremely low home insurance rates. (An average of $326 per year. Ranks #50 in the country!) The most wilderness area in any of the 48 Continental United States. (Only Alaska has more.) 21.6 million forested acres. Minimal gun laws. Class 3 guns (machineguns short barreled rifles and shotguns, and suppressors) are legal to own after the $200 Federal tax and background check. Open carry of handguns is legal and fairly commonplace. CCW permits must be issued unless someone has a prior criminal record. ("Non-discretionary.") No CCW permit is required for concealed carry outside of city limits. Vehicular carry of loaded guns is legal and very common. Automatic knives are legal to own and carry. Minimally regulated home schooling. Low population density. Low elevation portions of the state have a fairly mild climate. Hunting and fishing are excellent in many parts of the state, so there will be no shortage of protein WTSHTF. High ratio of horse ownership, so I anticipate that transportation will be available in the event of a long term TEOTWAWKI. By 2025, Idaho is projected to be the 40th most populous with 1.7 million people. (It is currently the 39th most populous state.) Affordable property: The median home price for all of Idaho is $105,403. One useful web site: Idaho Department of Commerce Community Profiles.

Minuses: Has a relatively high state income tax. Sadly, 63.7% of Idaho's lands are owned by federal government. (Mostly National Forest and BLM land.) But at least that provides a "really big back yard" for hunting and cutting firewood. Cold winters at the higher elevations. (Look for property in the low river valleys if you can't stand snow!) Low wages compared to most coastal states.
JWR's Combined Retreat Potential Ranking: 1 of 19. (JWR's top choice!)
http://survivalblog.com/retreatareas/

208-627-2855 | SurvivalRetreatConsulting.com

Another relevant post:

« Economics and Investing:Footgear Considerations, by Dagney T. »
"Letter Re: Concerns About Idaho

Mr. Rawles,
I am leaving Alaska and actively looking for a new home in the American Redoubt. The State of Idaho is (was?) at the top of my list but several recent articles in SurvivalBlog have cause for concern. (The recent item about he Boise gun show cancellation, for example.)

I understand that 'nothing is perfect' but can you reassure your readers that Idaho is not being infiltrated by the loony leftists?

Thank You and best regards, – Tom in Alaska

JWR Replies: The news item about Boise was posted because it was unusual, and definitely not the norm for Idaho, which is generally very pro-gun. In my estimation Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming still represent the very best states to work in and to live. While eastern Oregon and eastern Washington are at mercy of their respective state legislatures west of the Cascades, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are consistently conservative, safe, and common-sense places to to live. Look at the whole gamut of issues and determining factors: taxes, gun laws, business climate, zoning, strong social fabric, right to work laws, demographics, crime rates, natural disaster risks, population density, self-sufficiency, insurance costs, pollution, home schooling laws, nuclear weapon targets, nuclear power plants, traffic, and on and on…"

http://survivalblog.com/letter_re_concerns_about_idaho/

This is not an ad. Investigate the eastern portion of Idaho, particularly the Rexburg, Idaho Falls, Pocatello corridor along I-15. IT is prevalent, with support from ISU in the south to BYUI in the north. Idaho Falls was rolling out a gigabyte fiber-optic network a couple of years ago, and IIRC, a company was installing a server farm in Rexburg. However, since I retired, I have not kept up with those developments.

Instead of moving from Oregon, get a pot of good conservatives and patriots to move here and drive the libs out.
Why give up the best state in the US to a bunch of liberal leftists. We have everything here. Mountains, beaches, fishing, boating, hunting.
We need to take it back with a bang !

To be honest, I don't believe that is the best course of action. If we learned one thing from the Bagwan, it should be that you can do some pretty interesting things when you move enough of your own people into a voting district. Leaving it I see as ceding the territory and if that happens enough, you pretty much get pushed into a corner and the whole country has gone blue.

Better to drag a hundred thousand or so of your closest friends into enemy territory and change the balance of power. And when that's done, move onto the next spot.

elsie

My top choice (from Washington) is Wyoming. Low sales tax, NO income tax and low property taxes. My parents are in their 80's so I'm stuck for a while but once they are gone, the house hits the market and I'm moving out of WAcommiefornia. I'm tired of the politicians here inventing new ways to tax the crap out of me while they get rich"er".
I have relatives living in Montana and they ae having issues with the Commiefornia liberals moving in and trying to inflict the same stupid rules/laws that made them move out of that cesspool called CA.

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Arizona. If you want to try the east coast, maybe Kentucky. Personally
I'm looking hard at southern Utah---specifically the St. George area. Been there a couple of
times for pistol (USPSA) matches. Liked the area and the people.

What makes anyone think that during a true SHTF event they will be able to travel beyond one tank of gasoline?

One of our members jammer something or another mocks comments based upon fictional accounts, and while it does not take a rocket surgeon to separate fact from fiction, the fictional account in the book Lucifer's Hammer exposed the potential difficulties for those who decided to encroach on areas already occupied. It does not take much imagination to visualize trees cut down blocking roads, highways and other "secret" bugout trails.

One thing that is never missing from internet gun forums are these types of threads where folks lean towards John Rawles fantasies of "Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse" where a group of self-centered individuals with apparently no elderly family members of kids sneak thru sewers, cities and grain fields on their way to their secret bugout location. All this may work for a bunch of selfish pricks, but folks who care about that disable vet across the street, their grandmother who cared for them growing up, their kids or grandkids are not going to be so inclined to strap on all of their Tier-1 Magpul SuperTacticool AR$7-1512gapumpSBRsuppressed bullbubblegum and sneek thru the woods to candy mountain.

My $0.02 :D

Everybody talks about going to Wyoming, Montana or even Idaho, until they need a job. Are you retired or work from home? You do realize that getting work in many parts of Wyoming or Montana is a chore. And, good luck making a decent living. As somebody who has lived in Idaho for a year, I can give some input. It is not quite as right-wing in all aspects as some people think.

Also, some people here really need to examine the culture of certain parts of the state of Idaho. If you are planning on living in East Idaho and want to enjoy a social life with the community, you will have to realize how very Mormon/LDS is the area. Are you ready to be treated like an outsider in your own country? Because, I have found the LDS are a very insular group of people to outsiders. If you are the type who just likes being left alone, then that may not be an issue. This is not to knock them, but they are what they are and East Idaho is as LDS or more than Utah and you may be in for a culture shock.

Second, Idaho is becoming Californicated and Liberalized in many aspects as well. Many do not realize that about 30% or more of the city of Boise has transplanted from California. The city is growing very fast. Now, with that being said, I have found that Idaho seems to attract the more conservative Californians, whereas Oregon/Washington tend to bring up the more liberal loonies from the state.

As well, many do not realize that Boise actually is a very liberal city. Ada County itself voted for Obama during the last election. The city council is quite liberal and many people in Boise consider themselves a separate entity from the rest of the state. I was shocked actually at how wild it gets in downtown Boise and how many people like to consider Boise, the Portland of Idaho. In fact, the whole eastern side of Boise is pretty liberal and hipster infused. Now, not all of Boise is like that , but if you think you will find good company hanging out at the bars on a Saturday night in downtown Boise, think again. The attitude of liberals in Boise is cynical to that of the rest of the state of Idaho and anything conservative.

Another big hit against Idaho is the taxes. It is a very heavily taxed state. Is this the true virtue of a so-called "Red-State"? Idaho has one of the highest state income taxes at 8% in the country, as well as a 6% or so sales tax. The cost of living in Boise is cheap if you live on the outskirts, but living in the city and the desirable neighborhoods is more expensive. They also tax food in Idaho, unlike in Washington. In actuality, from a tax perspective, the taxation, being a small business is much nicer and desirable in Washington for me than Idaho or Oregon. I've calculated that I would be spending almost the same to live in Boise with the taxes as I would in Seattle area. In short, Idaho has crappy tax laws and the liberals in the state have more muscle than you realize. A lot of Idaho's tax laws are outdated, but retained by liberals who want to reap the benefits of them. Back when Idaho was very inexpensive, hidden and small backwoodsy place the taxation didn't bite you like it does now.

If you are a home-grown Oregonian/Washingtonian, you will also have to get use to the very bland and dreary scenery of brown hills living in Boise. I'm sure some admire the brown hills of the Treasure Valley, but growing up on the Oregon Coast and Willamette and Rogue Valleys, the lack of trees and greenery just drove me mad. You may laugh about it, as I did when going there, but trust me, the lack of forests will get to you eventually, unless you are from the Eastern half of the state.

Ok, with all that being said , I love Idaho. There is no way and heck I will live in that brown, dry and weird town called Boise. However, if I ever become more financially stable and can bring my job with me, I seriously would consider living in Sandpoint or Coeur d'Alene area. That is one of the most beautiful areas of the state near the giant lakes and the Cabinet mountain range in Montana. It is also much more libertarian and open-minded than Southern Idaho.

Wyoming is great, but making a living is no easy task. Once again, if my bank account is hitting high triple digits and the job makes me money anywhere I live, then to Jackson Hole or Cody I go.

Did I mention any place in Wyoming that is worth living costs a fortune? The prices of housing in the nicer towns of Wyoming are not that cheap. Unless you live on the Eastern side, but then why not just move to North Dakota where you can make $30/hr working at Wal-Mart, enjoy cheap living and enjoy all the same personal freedoms that are in jeopardy west of the Cascades?

Depends on your occupation.
Fruitland is nice.
If your a nut job from The hills, try Idaho city. Lol!
Sweet is awesome.
Weston has huge deer.

I liked Idaho city, Milt Sparks was there and I drove there from here to buy a holster. Nice town back then, liked the high ceilings and old shops.

Retirement is a thing of beauty but what gets me is my pension was earned in a state with no income tax and it pisses me off to no end thinking that if I move to Idaho or Montana that they will collect tax on it. I don't need a job which is why I would probably head to WY at the base of the Tetons near Jackson instead of Pocatello Idaho. I'm thinking Utah, Nevada and AZ will be hard pressed for water in 20 - 30 years :eek:

I am thinking the future might take mobility to better your environment so buying a house may not be the best thing. I worked years traveling and lived in a travel trailer, it's not for everyone but it doesn't cost much to live that way.o_O

I am thinking the future might take mobility to better your environment so buying a house may not be the best thing. I worked years traveling and lived in a travel trailer, it's not for everyone but it doesn't cost much to live that way.o_O

Hmmm not sure if I can live without my easy chair and 65" flat screen;)

Everybody talks about going to Wyoming, Montana or even Idaho, until they need a job. Are you retired or work from home? You do realize that getting work in many parts of Wyoming or Montana is a chore. And, good luck making a decent living. As somebody who has lived in Idaho for a year, I can give some input. It is not quite as right-wing in all aspects as some people think.

Also, some people here really need to examine the culture of certain parts of the state of Idaho. If you are planning on living in East Idaho and want to enjoy a social life with the community, you will have to realize how very Mormon/LDS is the area. Are you ready to be treated like an outsider in your own country? Because, I have found the LDS are a very insular group of people to outsiders. If you are the type who just likes being left alone, then that may not be an issue. This is not to knock them, but they are what they are and East Idaho is as LDS or more than Utah and you may be in for a culture shock.

Second, Idaho is becoming Californicated and Liberalized in many aspects as well. Many do not realize that about 30% or more of the city of Boise has transplanted from California. The city is growing very fast. Now, with that being said, I have found that Idaho seems to attract the more conservative Californians, whereas Oregon/Washington tend to bring up the more liberal loonies from the state.

As well, many do not realize that Boise actually is a very liberal city. Ada County itself voted for Obama during the last election. The city council is quite liberal and many people in Boise consider themselves a separate entity from the rest of the state. I was shocked actually at how wild it gets in downtown Boise and how many people like to consider Boise, the Portland of Idaho. In fact, the whole eastern side of Boise is pretty liberal and hipster infused. Now, not all of Boise is like that , but if you think you will find good company hanging out at the bars on a Saturday night in downtown Boise, think again. The attitude of liberals in Boise is cynical to that of the rest of the state of Idaho and anything conservative.

Another big hit against Idaho is the taxes. It is a very heavily taxed state. Is this the true virtue of a so-called "Red-State"? Idaho has one of the highest state income taxes at 8% in the country, as well as a 6% or so sales tax. The cost of living in Boise is cheap if you live on the outskirts, but living in the city and the desirable neighborhoods is more expensive. They also tax food in Idaho, unlike in Washington. In actuality, from a tax perspective, the taxation, being a small business is much nicer and desirable in Washington for me than Idaho or Oregon. I've calculated that I would be spending almost the same to live in Boise with the taxes as I would in Seattle area. In short, Idaho has crappy tax laws and the liberals in the state have more muscle than you realize. A lot of Idaho's tax laws are outdated, but retained by liberals who want to reap the benefits of them. Back when Idaho was very inexpensive, hidden and small backwoodsy place the taxation didn't bite you like it does now.

If you are a home-grown Oregonian/Washingtonian, you will also have to get use to the very bland and dreary scenery of brown hills living in Boise. I'm sure some admire the brown hills of the Treasure Valley, but growing up on the Oregon Coast and Willamette and Rogue Valleys, the lack of trees and greenery just drove me mad. You may laugh about it, as I did when going there, but trust me, the lack of forests will get to you eventually, unless you are from the Eastern half of the state.

Ok, with all that being said , I love Idaho. There is no way and heck I will live in that brown, dry and weird town called Boise. However, if I ever become more financially stable and can bring my job with me, I seriously would consider living in Sandpoint or Coeur d'Alene area. That is one of the most beautiful areas of the state near the giant lakes and the Cabinet mountain range in Montana. It is also much more libertarian and open-minded than Southern Idaho.

Wyoming is great, but making a living is no easy task. Once again, if my bank account is hitting high triple digits and the job makes me money anywhere I live, then to Jackson Hole or Cody I go.

Did I mention any place in Wyoming that is worth living costs a fortune? The prices of housing in the nicer towns of Wyoming are not that cheap. Unless you live on the Eastern side, but then why not just move to North Dakota where you can make $30/hr working at Wal-Mart, enjoy cheap living and enjoy all the same personal freedoms that are in jeopardy west of the Cascades?

Thanks for the well thought out points 4 freedom!
I've been looking at Lewiston and recently visited there. Any input on the make-up, politics/religion of the people living there? I already know the lack of trees thing, the wife HATES that aspect.

Hmmm not sure if I can live without my easy chair and 65" flat screen;)
Ya I never spent much time indoors so didn't watch much TV. Did like the easy chair out next to the BBQ and a nice cold beer when the time was right. Trailer is just there to sleep in.:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top