JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello! I'm brand new to hunting. Took my .22 out to EE Wilson, Bend, Redmond, Fort Rock areas, but haven't seen a single rabbit! Would you mind telling me where I might have better luck? I've gathered that Christmas Valley is a good spot, or closer to Steens, but I'm not exactly sure where to go once I get to either of those places. Thanks a lot :)

You might be a bit early.
They like it a little warmer before they really start getting active.
Just saw my first for the year the other night, on the side of the house.
Cottontail.

Dean

bugs-bunny-and-daffy-duck.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I've seen cotton tails around rim rock around chrismas valley.

I have heard they are active near dark.

There are also black tail jack rabbits near irrigation pivots and in the sage brush. Shotgun works best, also if you can get permission I hear that they can be hunted at night but only on pvt property. You may want to check on that to make sure. I also have heard various opinions on whether they should be eaten or not.

you know anyone with some property in columbia basin?
my X girl friends dad in high school took me out that way one christmas break and we had a blast. Seen some of the biggest bucks there as well.

Last Edited:
The dusk to dawn is good info.... When I lived in S. Cal that's when we would see them. They'd come out carousing at dusk looking for edible plants... neighbor's garden. When I drove to work in San Diego I would be squishing them all over the road in the dark. Suicide wabbits!

We also hunted Jacks in the desert, but you really couldn't eat one - tough and gamey.

They had rabbitpocalypse near Ontario and Vale in the 80's. They were driving them into nets it was so bad. But I don't know what it's like now.

Should be some around Prineville or that new golf course around there.

Love me some wabbit! Grew up in S.E. corner of Oklahoma and ate a whole slew of rabbits and squirrels and such! Miss the good ole days!:D

Central oregon has some good size jackrabbits. I'm not sure exactly where to hunt them, but my folks live on the crooked river ranch and I see them in there. I've seen some pretty good sized jackrabbits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top