JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I need advice on where to go to have my front sight base taken off and put back on- the real issue is that for some some strange reason my middy ar upper came with a round handguard endcap instead of the triangular style that virtually every mid length handguard works best with, so I want to replace it.

(just to try it I filed down a standard triangular-end handguard in order to make it fit, but it only sort of works, so I'd rather just go legit with it)

I'm based in Oregon City but it's easier for me to get in to Portland than farther south, so who would y'all recommend that I go to for this kind of service?

It's not really a task that requires lots of training and experience. The Front sight base is secured with two tapered pins and the gas tube by a single roll pin.

Remove handguards. Clamp the barrel between two soft wood blocks in a vice. To remove the flash suppressor I have an aromorers tool but in the past I have merely used an open end wrench and a brass mallet. Remove gas tube roll pin with 1/16" punch. Remove tapered pins with pin punch matching SMALL end of pin.

Be sure to save either the "peel washer" or "crush washer". The peel washer can be re-used but sometimes the crush washer has to be replaced if the flash suppressor has no "vent" on the bottom which needs to be aligned at 6 O'Clock.

When ready, merely reverse process. Make sure to insert FSB pins correctly and don't over hammer them into their holes. They are tapered pins, not rivets.

This of course assumes that you have a couple of pin punches that fit the task, a good vise, a brass mallet, and wrench to fit the flash suppressor, and the desire to do it yourself.

Cool, I'm glad to find out about Curt's, that should be easy for me to get to, and so far he's gotten good reviews on other boards.

As for doing it myself, I just don't even have the bare minimum tools necessary- hopefully I'll be picking up a good vice, some punches etc. before too long, but until then I'm happy just to have someone who knows what they're doing go for it.

OOPS i didnt read all the replies!! curt at curts discount shooters supply will do it on the spot for cheap.he specializes in ar stuff,just opened a cool store/shop in milwaukie 503-819-5881

Took my upper to Curt's today, found Curt to be very friendly and helpful- some of the best gun shop service I've experienced in the NW in fact. I'll definitely be stopping back by there as other needs (and prob more than a few wants) warrant it. I'd also recommend it to other folks who want to avoid abrasive/unpleasant interactions.

-A

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads