JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a white gas quiet.
Funny "White Gas". Gas used to be red. Reddish colored anyway. There was that special small can in the garage. Held a gallon and was either red or galvanized, had a wire handle3and a small spigot with a threaded cap on it.
1626966140166.png
That's what held the White Gas for the lawn mower and "Merry Tiller". And any other small engine you may have had. Probably the Coleman appliances too.

Merry Tiller was not a second grade teacher.
1626966363373.png

This concludes our little trip on the way-back machine.

Funny "White Gas". Gas used to be red. Reddish colored anyway. There was that special small can in the garage. Held a gallon and was either red or galvanized, had a wire handle3and a small spigot with a threaded cap on it.
View attachment 996522
That's what held the White Gas for the lawn mower and "Merry Tiller". And any other small engine you may have had. Probably the Coleman appliances too.

Merry Tiller was not a second grade teacher.
View attachment 996523

This concludes our little trip on the way-back machine.
Cool. Speaking of yard machines, my mom told me we had one of the first electric MowBots back in the day. I don't remember it.

I've got a small single-mantle and two twin-mantle Coleman lanterns and a two-burner stove. The stove and 2 larger lamps belonged to my parents who used them before us kids were born, which would make them at least 65 years old. The little one belonged to grandpa.

They all still work and I still use them on the rare occasions that I go camping.

The little one (Coleman 243A) had some flaking paint on the tank when it came into my possession. I removed the rest of the paint and found the tank was made of brass. Instead of repainting it, I polished it until it was mirror bright. It looks awesome. The globe got broken when a squirrel (little bastage!) dropped a pine cone directly on it from about 30 feet up a tree just as I was dozing off in a chair next to the table it was sitting on.

I was able to replace my underwear, but I haven't yet replaced the globe.

I hate squirrels.

Finished my first lantern rehab last night.
Works perfect. Took about two hours.

Do need to find a few replacement gaskets for the 3 piece fuel cap.
Should be an easy install when I get my hands on a replacement.

Reused the leather fuel pump pressure seal.
Soaked it in Marvels Mystery Oil, reversed and reinstalled.
Worked great.
Everything about the lamp holds pressure and functions perfectly.

Glad I dug into it.

Will tie into the other lantern this week end...

Worked great.

Glad I dug into it.

AWESOME!!!! :s0053:

Sometimes I will cut the old leather fuel cap gasket out with a knife and just use a rubber "O" ring to get you by.

Worked great.

Glad I dug into it.

I've always used any old kind of oil for the pump mechanism but couldn't get mine to build pressure last time.. I remembered I had some paint sprayer throat seal lube and used that.. it fixed the problem immediately. It's essentially designed for such applications.

Anyone have a source for legit Coleman parts?....in this case a gas tank cap gasket. There are some on ebay and amazon but do not know if they are OEM quality. Anyone still sell OEM Coleman filler cap gaskets?

Anyone have a source for legit Coleman parts?....in this case a gas tank cap gasket. There are some on ebay and amazon but do not know if they are OEM quality. Anyone still sell OEM Coleman filler cap gaskets?
It's just easier to buy the whole cap. I have one I'll never use still in the pack. Too bad your not in potland. I'd make you a deal on it.

I have this cap I don't eve see me using?

P1050011.JPG

Not sure if you will be able to find them
Coleman went to a rubber gasket in the cap instead of leather. Like I mentioned, I just use a rubber O ring.
They are available on various web sites, repair kits too. I sold all my lanterns and stoves except for single and double burner lanterns and a two burner stove for emergency use.

I have been collecting old lanterns for awhile. I am not a restoration guy, but I can tell you it is usually the generator that goes out. Pretty easy to replace. White gas can be had for pennies at garage sales and has a very, very long shelf life.

I even use the Perfection kerosene heaters in the garage. Just watch out for the CO and wear your 4 gas meter or get some canaries. It is just hard to tell if the canaries are dying from exposure or Carbon Monoxide when it gets real cold out there. LOL But then it could be the Skrillex that is killing them. LOL

Have a Coleman lantern in my trunk, and an empty 1 gallon gas can. Comes in handy when I am on a site late at night. Just keep spare mantels, and grab a buck or two of gas on my way there. Yes it's one of the Coleman's that work on pump gas. Had it now for at least ten years.

Back in my younger days (the 60s) I can remember buying white gas at the local service station. But....I doubt that it's gonna happen anymore. So, I've switched both of my gas lanterns, as well as my gas stove.....to the Coleman "dual fuel" models. I figure that, maybe one day finding "white gas" might become a problem for me. Though today, I can usually score a can or two at Bi-Mart or Wally World. But then, having the ability to use reg. gasoline might be a good thing for me (in an emergency).

YEAH, Yeah, yeah....emergency this/that and emergency food, etc.... etc.... The End Of The World As We Know It. I might be kidding myself. Yeah PREPPING. Whatever, it's still fun (at this point).

That all being said......I also have to keep a supply of Kerosene on hand for use in my emergency heater.

My son has bought one of those portable Chinese diesel heaters. Additionally, it also needs to be plugged in. So, that means a power source or battery. So perhaps, solar panels and a solar converter and battery storage device is also in his future. OMG?!?!

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Yup, back in the day.....Ollie Damon's was truly an amazing place to shop/visit.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top