Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to find OR Maps?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Joe13, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think of myself as fairly tech savy but I'm having the darnedest time finding a map for my hunt in OR this year (found maps for my WA hunt at sportsmans).

I called sportsmans in bend and was told that they don't carry local forestry maps.

I have found every manner of downloadable maps (not sure if they can just be taken to a print shop and printed) but can not find a place to just order a map of the area (se bend - Evan Wells Quad on the forestry site).

If someone has a quick fix that isn't an exorbitant cost, then that would be a huge help.

Thanks!

2. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

The online source for the 7.5 minute quad is store.usgs.gov. PDF download is free, outdated maps are $8. A PDF printout on Legal paper works nicely for some quads.

For hunting, I find the Big Sky (Ram) Unit maps good if they cover your unit. Unlike most public USFS maps, they include topography and better road detail. Green Trails maps are nice but only cover the Pacific Crest trail region.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Great Thanks!

4. prkrgrp

prkrgrp oregon Active Member

5. 156256Hunter

156256Hunter Fairview-ish Active Member

That's strange the Bend Sportsmans doesn't have the GMU (Game Mgt Unit) maps. The one in Clackamas/Johnson Creek does.

6. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

At a store called Nature of the Northwest located downtown Portland! Oregon Department of Geology. Selected topographic geologic maps of Oregon and Washington. Has every National Forest map and most Ranger District maps. The RD maps are the most reliable road detail Ive used and include topo lines.

You can also order from them on line, but if your not familiar with what you want its hard to see what your buying as there is no map preview. http://www.naturenw.org/qs3/products.php?catid=3&category=Maps
    What also makes it confusing is they changed some of the names of the Oregon National Forest maps.... so if your looking for the Willamette National Forest map it is now called "Willamette Cascades"... Siuslaw National Forest map is now called "Oregon Central Coast". The Mt Hood NF map says it includes the Willamette NF map is BS too, just FYI it doesnt.

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

8. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Koda
    Thanks for the find. Hillmap bookmark will be in my camping folder.

Koda likes this.
  10. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Sportsmans hillsboro has Oregon game unit maps. Which unit you looking for?

11. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

12. Joe13

Paulina I think it's called. Or Deschutes Nat. forest - I'm not sure what the unit number is / it's not my tag so I'm just going off what the guy I'm going with told me.

13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Shoot i may be hunting with you after all . or at least in the same neck of the woods.

I would have to stop by your camp to argue how the 30.06 is a better all around hunting round but i'll be hunting with my .308 o_O

Joe13 likes this.
  14. Joe13

Ha, nice;).

If you see a guy out there without a rifle, it could be me lol.

15. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

If you see a guy dragging a deer out of the woods, it could be me.

16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto on the Metskers! Used them for years.