JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in inner SE PDX...I have a Massachusetts CHL but understand that I need to take a class here again (?) to get an Oregon CHL....where is the closest, cheapest place to take a class somewhere near inner SE PDX?

Thanks!

check with the MCSO for instructors in your area. also, check out the Gun Room and NW Armory for shooters. I really doubt there are any in your area unless they happen to live there.

MHCC offers a course/class, but its not in "inner" se.

Contact NWSAFE.org, they have plenty of classes that cover the statute requirement. All you need is a class taught by a NRA instructor that covers handgun safety. Even the Home Firearms Safety class that costs about $20 will cover it. Did your class in Mass. cover safe gun handling? Might want to check to see if it covers the requirement.

how to find the guy in Salem?

and what are MCSO and MHCC? I'm new to area and don't know...thx.

Salem is about an hours drive south, fyi.

MCSO = Multnomah County Sheriff Office. The office you WILL be going to to get your CWP/picture.

MHCC = Mount Hood Community College

Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas.
Sunnyside road and 82nd ave.
Some very good instruction there but the basic CHL class is 3 hours.
Instructor is an law enforcement instructor with military background and no nonsense attitude. I liked his style a lot. Probably not the cheapest but worth every penny for me. I actually forget the price but think it was $40 or so.

He said he already has his CHL from another state. Just needs to get one for Oregon.

So? Does that mean that he has been trained in use of force laws and how they relate to OR specificially? What about physical skills? Not trying to step on toes. But when it comes to carrying a firearm for personal protection, one can NEVER have enough training or skills.

Yeah, well, I got my training in that stuff in the army...I just need the piece of paper right now. And yes, I'll keep upgrading my skills. But I need the piece of paper now.

Hey Stevie,

We do our OR CHL class every month at the Portland Gun Show at the Expo Center. For July, it will be held on the 25th at the show, upstairs in one of the classrooms. First class will be from 10:00am to 1:00pm and the second class will be from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Our cost is $35.00 and we get you through the class in 3 hours. If you're interested, you can get the full run down on our website at www.libertytraininggroup.com

Hope this helps,

LTG

NICE
Hey Stevie, can I take that class cert. to Wash. Co. for CHL?

Yes, the CHL classes described here all provide the certification you need to apply for a CHL in any county in Oregon.

These non-shooting classes are no substitute for proper hands-on training, of course, but they cover the basics of Oregon firearms laws, gun safety, etc. sufficiently to satisfy the statutory CHL requirement in Oregon. In other words, these 3-hour classes don't qualify you to carry concealed, but they qualify you to get a permit to do so.

CEF1959,

I totally agree. I tell my students that what we do in class is share information not demonstrate proficiency with a firearm. In order to do that, you need to be on the range with a qualified instructor. However, it sounds like Stevie may know his way around a firearm due to his military background. Thanks,

LTG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads