Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to find CHL class in inner PDX?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Stevie, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Stevie

Stevie Inner SE PDX Member

I'm in inner SE PDX...I have a Massachusetts CHL but understand that I need to take a class here again (?) to get an Oregon CHL....where is the closest, cheapest place to take a class somewhere near inner SE PDX?

Thanks!

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

A guy in Salem teaches one for $40 3 hour course of just talking no shooting or anything required

3. toys

toys PDX Member

check with the MCSO for instructors in your area. also, check out the Gun Room and NW Armory for shooters. I really doubt there are any in your area unless they happen to live there.

MHCC offers a course/class, but its not in "inner" se.

4. Stevie

how to find the guy in Salem?

and what are MCSO and MHCC? I'm new to area and don't know...thx.

5. ikona

ikona west of pdx Member

Contact NWSAFE.org, they have plenty of classes that cover the statute requirement. All you need is a class taught by a NRA instructor that covers handgun safety. Even the Home Firearms Safety class that costs about $20 will cover it. Did your class in Mass. cover safe gun handling? Might want to check to see if it covers the requirement.

6. treemanx

treemanx Spray, Or. Active Member

Keiths Sporting Goods in Gresham does CHL classes.

7. toys

toys PDX Member

Salem is about an hours drive south, fyi.

MCSO = Multnomah County Sheriff Office. The office you WILL be going to to get your CWP/picture.

MHCC = Mount Hood Community College

8. VWTim

VWTim Corvallis, OR Member

Why cheat yourself at the minimum level required?

9. Stevie

Sheriff's department does training every Tuesday night.
    $20, but $40 after July 1.
    At Sheriff office, 122nd & Glisan

10. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

NICE
    Hey Stevie, can I take that class cert. to Wash. Co. for CHL?

11. CastleFox

CastleFox Gone New Member

You can also try Gun Broker in Tigard. $40 bucks, 3 hours, and no shooting required. Quick and simple.

12. CastleFox

CastleFox Gone New Member

He said he already has his CHL from another state. Just needs to get one for Oregon.

13. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas.
    Sunnyside road and 82nd ave.
    Some very good instruction there but the basic CHL class is 3 hours.
    Instructor is an law enforcement instructor with military background and no nonsense attitude. I liked his style a lot. Probably not the cheapest but worth every penny for me. I actually forget the price but think it was $40 or so.

14. VWTim

VWTim Corvallis, OR Member

So? Does that mean that he has been trained in use of force laws and how they relate to OR specificially? What about physical skills? Not trying to step on toes. But when it comes to carrying a firearm for personal protection, one can NEVER have enough training or skills.

15. Stevie

Yeah, well, I got my training in that stuff in the army...I just need the piece of paper right now. And yes, I'll keep upgrading my skills. But I need the piece of paper now.

16. LTG

LTG Salem, OR New Member

Hey Stevie,

We do our OR CHL class every month at the Portland Gun Show at the Expo Center. For July, it will be held on the 25th at the show, upstairs in one of the classrooms. First class will be from 10:00am to 1:00pm and the second class will be from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Our cost is $35.00 and we get you through the class in 3 hours. If you're interested, you can get the full run down on our website at www.libertytraininggroup.com

Hope this helps,

LTG

17. Stevie

Thanks, LTG!
    and I'm fairly new to PDX, I didn't know about the Gun Show! So thanks again!

18. LTG

LTG Salem, OR New Member

Stevie,

You got it. Shoot me an email or give us a call if you're interested and we'll get you registered. Take care,

LTG

19. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

Yes, the CHL classes described here all provide the certification you need to apply for a CHL in any county in Oregon.

These non-shooting classes are no substitute for proper hands-on training, of course, but they cover the basics of Oregon firearms laws, gun safety, etc. sufficiently to satisfy the statutory CHL requirement in Oregon. In other words, these 3-hour classes don't qualify you to carry concealed, but they qualify you to get a permit to do so.

20. LTG

LTG Salem, OR New Member

CEF1959,

I totally agree. I tell my students that what we do in class is share information not demonstrate proficiency with a firearm. In order to do that, you need to be on the range with a qualified instructor. However, it sounds like Stevie may know his way around a firearm due to his military background. Thanks,

LTG