JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

As some of you know I do a little bit of woodworking. I'm in the market for a jointer but can't seem to find any place that sells them locally. I can always order one online but would prefer to see the item in person before I make a decision. I've tried to snag one off craigslist for awhile now but they sell so fast I never get the chance.

It doesn't have to be too fancy. A 1.5HP+ motor, 6" or more, and the rest is negotiable.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

I own one of the most sophisticated Millworks in the NW and have for the last 35 years, as arrogant as that sounds. believe it or not, for small machinery like a 6" or 8" jointer, Grizzly has great value for the buck. As an added bonus the owner is an avid shooter and Second Amendment supporter. (also very accomplished long range shooter.) If you buy something from them, request a catalog. Woodworking machinery, metal working machinery, gunsmithing equipment accessories and much more. I have a knee mill with DRO and a horizontal band re-saw ($16,000) from them. we have run the re-saw every day in production for 7 years and it still holds tolerance to .002 - .003. we use it commonly to make custom 1/16 veneer.

To echo that, I've got several Grizzly machines, including the G0490 jointer (though I paid a lot less than the current price), and they have all served me very well over the years. I don't put nearly the time on them that @RLJungers does, but as a home hobbiest they've been a great investment.

You can also look at Shop Fox, which is essentially Grizzly stuff sold retail with a few differences. If you can make a trip up to Portland, there are several shops you can peak at real tools in person. Woodcrafters on 6th and Davis usually has a decent collection, though they fill most of the showroom with SawStop and Festool stuff ($$$). There's a couple of machinery specific places along MLK near the south end of I remember right. I've also seen some bigger machines at Park Rose Hardware (the original one at least). Woodcraft (Tigard) and Rockler (Hillsboro) sometimes have some machines, but usually it's lathes, drill presses, band saws, and table saws (and more Festool).

Make a trip all the way to Bellingham, WA, and you can check out the Grizzly showroom and buy direct!

Last Edited:
Call Jerry's in Eugene and see if they have any. It's a great store to check out. There's a little wood selling shop in Albany called specialty hardwood or something like that. They don't sell tools, but might be a good group to ask.

I actually found a used Shop Smith with a joiner attachment, although the throat is only 4in as I recall. It does work well once it's dialed in and squared and the entire system was only $500.

I mainly use it at a lathe & disk sander. Plenty on craigslist last time I looked.

Joiner in PDX:

Woodcraft in Springfield is my go to place.

Of course, there are many older ones just sitting around in shops like mine.

You should be able to find an older one with 6 inch width for 1 to 2 hundred that work well.

Jet or Grizzly or even Powercraft should be able to fit your needs, but might take some rather
healthy funds from your wallet.

If you interested in a used Craftsman there's one right near you:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews