JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where are you trying to trap them at? Fast moving water is not very productive in my experience. I prefer lakes with a steep shoreline and plenty of cover. Usually I drop the trap next to a large boulder or log in the water. A nice oily piece of pepperoni stick is my favorite bait since it keeps well and doubles as a snack.

Here's a true crawdad bait story.
We were at Timothy Lake....nice, clear lake that has a good crawdad population.
One of the guys had heard that cantaloupe was good bait, so he got some free, past prime melons from the grocery store.
Lo and behold, the cantaloupe out-fished the chicken backs and cat food !

I never would have believed it if I didn't see it.

Here's a true crawdad bait story.
We were at Timothy Lake....nice, clear lake that has a good crawdad population.
One of the guys had heard that cantaloupe was good bait, so he got some free, past prime melons from the grocery store.
Lo and behold, the cantaloupe out-fished the chicken backs and cat food !

I never would have believed it if I didn't see it.
I could believe that.
I know they eat lettuce. We put them in a large wash tub in fresh clean water with scraps of head lettuce for them eat and let them crap for 24 hours cleaning them out before boiling. We just use clarified butter so taste nuance's are more discerning than those boiled with wine, etc..
Camping with kids always ensured Hot Dogs were available which work quite nice as bait, plus they last a long time.

I always use tuna in a can, takes me about half an hour to get four in the river down the street. Deep pools with slow water are best in streams. You have to remember that craws will mostly come from downstream up to a trap. Throw your trap at the head of the pool.
A nice oily piece of pepperoni stick is my favorite bait since it keeps well and doubles as a snack.
I wouldn't eat a peperoni stick that i used for crawdad bait... ;)

Those are some neat tricks, i'll have to try detoxing them and feeding them cantelope or lettuce when i ever eat them. I usually just trap them for fun with my nephew so he can play with them (he's allergic to some shellfish).

We used to find them in a stream that had 6" of flowing water, reached a hand down and fetched em right up. Also caught some on a small stick that they would attack, then we flipped em out of the stream. Mind you, that stream was only 3-4ft across, sometimes less.

Old thead but BACON RAW BACON
Yes!,
I caught my first Crawdads with bacon tied with a five foot string to a same length willow pole.
In 1952, (to at least the last time I was there in th 60's) the Wilson river used to be full of nice big ones near summers end. slowly drop the bacon in front of the Crawdad and when they grab on, slowly pull them to the surface. Just before they get to the surface give a little yank and flip them to the shore. done right they won't have time to let go when they break the surface and you can pick them up and put in a bucket of water. Instead of video games and cell phones, three kids could get three or four dozen 6 to 8 inchers in about an hour . More fun too, I maintain, ending with something delicious to eat.

Yes!,
I caught my first Crawdads with bacon tied with a five foot string to a same length willow pole.
In 1952, (to at least the last time I was there in th 60's) the Wilson river used to be full of nice big ones near summers end. slowly drop the bacon in front of the Crawdad and when they grab on, slowly pull them to the surface. Just before they get to the surface give a little yank and flip them to the shore. done right they won't have time to let go when they break the surface and you can pick them up and put in a bucket of water. Instead of video games and cell phones, three kids could get three or four dozen 6 to 8 inchers in about an hour . More fun too, I maintain, ending with something delicious to eat.
Yep we used frickin yarn lol the frist time on a stick

No haven't you heard libral demo love Muslim so they don't eat bacon so there flesh is the flavor of carrots and lettuce .so crawdads don't like librals
Apparently you weren't reading the thread, because crawdads love lettuce.
Your logic is flawed!
Liberals probably make fine crawdad bait!

Apparently you weren't reading the thread, because crawdads love lettuce.
Your logic is flawed!
Liberals probably make fine crawdad bait!
I never heard they like lettuce mmmm who knew and yep your right I didn't read the thread like I said old THREAD 5 years old .but BACON catches crawdads I geuss Bacon wrapped in lettuce will catch more lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top