JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is mail order and you'll definitely pay a premium (I think, if my rural upbringing-memory serves me... 'course prices have gone up in the last 30 years:) )Hard Red Spring Wheat | Buy wheat berries. Your best online source for organically grown non-hybrid wheat berries in bulk.
or there's this co-op that I think is based here in Oregon but delivers routes in WA too..
Azure Standard: How Does it Work? | Heavenly Homemakers

When my Dad was driving wheat harvests back in N. Idaho, we'd buy bags from the local farmer's grain elevator co-op; reckon there's one (or many) close to you too? Dunno if any of that helps...

Try the LDS Family Home Storage center nearest you. They will be cheaper than anyone else and a nicer group of people you would be hard pressed to find. You can either use their canning equipment (they charge you their cost) or buy it by the sack and bring it home and package it yourself. I'm not sure which one is closest to you, so here is a list of all of them in Washington:

WA - Bremerton
Phone (360) 373-6028
Address
288 Wilkes Ave
Bremerton, Washington 98132

WA - Kennewick
Phone (509) 735-6455
Address
6501 W Deschutes
Kennewick, Washington 99336

WA - Kent
Phone (253) 852-8552
Address
1412 West Morton
PO Box 825
Kent, Washington 98035-0825

WA - Mt. Vernon
Phone (360) 424-0335
Address
1524 Riverside Drive #14
Mt. Vernon, Washington 98273

WA - Mukilteo
Phone (425) 315-1514
Address
4215 C Russell Road
Mukilteo, Washington 98275

WA - Spokane
Phone (509) 928-1035
Address
E 9423 Fourth Avenue
PO Box 141308
Spokane Valley, Washington 99214

Unless you can't find what you need elsewhere, I would avoid using Azure Standard. In the last 4 or 5 deliveries we ordered from them, half our order didn't get shipped. Apparently, their order group cannot truly tell if they have something in stock and if it doesn't get shipped, it get completely canceled and they don't even tell you. So essentially, when you order from them, you don't even know if you will really get your order. I am through with them.

25lbs of white wheat at the LDS storage center is $5.80
25lbs of white wheat at Azure Standard is $10.80

It's your call :)

I have seen Montana Hard White Wheat in 25 lb. bags in the flour isle at Wal-Mart SuperStores. Price is $13.00-$16.00. It appears that they only have space for about 2 bags on the shelf. They also have ground whole wheat flour in 5 lb bags.

I buy it at Bob's Red Mill as it is close to me, but expensive, what I really should do is contact my local grange hall and I bet there is a farmer that will sell me a few buckets for 3X what he normally does, we'll both go away happy and I'll save a ton.

Here's a grange near you, even though they may not have it, I bet one farmer knows another who does....

Issaquah Valley #581
105 Newport Way SW, Issaquah, Wa.
Meets 2nd & 4th Mondays at 7:30pm
Rental contact-Florence-425-392-3013

http://www.wa-grange.org/localgrange.html

I buy it at Bob's Red Mill as it is close to me, but expensive, what I really should do is contact my local grange hall and I bet there is a farmer that will sell me a few buckets for 3X what he normally does, we'll both go away happy and I'll save a ton.

Here's a grange near you, even though they may not have it, I bet one farmer knows another who does....

Issaquah Valley #581
105 Newport Way SW, Issaquah, Wa.
Meets 2nd & 4th Mondays at 7:30pm
Rental contact-Florence-425-392-3013

Local Grange

just be aware that, according to what I was told by a wheat farmer in Arlington OR, that most of the wheat grown in OR is soft white. Which is good for pastas, but isn't so great for bread. He gave me a bunch that I think I will grind up and see how it does in bread. But he told me that its too wet out here to grow hard wheats or something like that. I take his word on this as his family has farmed in OR for a freaking long time and I imagine he knows his business.

Oh, and +1 for the LDS cannery. Cheapest hard wheat around. Bobs is good too, and if you call them you can ask to get a price sheet on bulk purchases. I think, IIRC, that its like by the pallet or 7800lbs or something like that. Either way its a boat load of stuff, but the pricing is pretty decent. And you can get things like Spelt and other non-wheat grains.

Where is the best place to buy wheat in bulk in the Northwest? Not looking for flour. Winter Hard wheat or something close to it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

wheat is a seed right? I would start by asking Wilbur Ellis in Woodburn or Suver Oregon.

Edit: Or find a seed cleaning place up in Wa. I'd try to get as close to the supply chain as I could. Paying retail sucks.

I've done several purchases from the LDS cannery in Kent, I didn't realize there was one in Mukilteo which is closer for me. I'm not Mormon and it was pretty straight forward, they are only open on Tuesdays for the public and you simply grab a cart and load up.

Fill out a form what you bought and then pay for it. My favorite is the Apple Pieces, nothing like dehydrated apples for a snack. Best prices by far, We spent around $200 and probably could live off that for a few months if I needed to....of course Costco is good too for the other stuff.

I did this same search a couple of years ago for our group. We ended up buy one pallet each of hard red wheat, soft white wheat, and rolled oats from Bob's Red Mill, all in 40# and 50# bags. The price was great, but that was 6,000 pounds! We then bought two pallets of food-grade plastic buckets and gasketed lids real cheap through a connection that one of us had with a chemical supplier in Portland. We rented a bottle of nitrogen, bought a bunch of dessicant packs off ebay, and spent weekend repacking all 6,000 pounds into buckets. We divided it all up according to family size. We still had dozens of spare buckets left, so we filled them with beans and rice out of 50# bags from the wholesale grocery. Total cost was less than half retail. Find a group of like minds that you can buy bulk and share with.

we had our local feed store check with their supplier to make sure the wheat and oats had not been treated with anything after harvest.it had not and we paid $15 for 50lbs hard red wheat.

There is a farmer who sells wheat near Sherwood, OR. "Schlichting Century Farms" 503-936-3637.
A full 50 gallon blue barrel costs under $60.00. Less $10.00 if you bring your own, or you can load up pails or bags yourself for an even better price.

There is a farmer who sells wheat near Sherwood, OR. "Schlichting Century Farms" 503-936-3637.
A full 50 gallon blue barrel costs under $60.00. Less $10.00 if you bring your own, or you can load up pails or bags yourself for an even better price.

That seems like a great deal. Hard to beat buying direct from the grower. Can you say how many pounds of wheat are in the drum?

Don't forget about a way to grind the wheat. I have the Country Living Mill that I motorized myself. I can fully recommend that mill. I can hand-crank it in a crisis, but that makes for a REALLY good workout.

Learn how to sprout the wheat also for good nutirition, and a different taste.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top