JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been looking for some long term shelf stable pemmican to order. Want it for my food stores and GHB.
Only place I've found is <broken link removed>
Although sounds good, freezing is not what I'm looking for.
Anyone have a source? I will experiment with making some, but want to have manufactured and packaged stuff on hand as I learn.

I made some in my Scout days as I recall there is an issue with the type of lard used as some fat hardens much more than others. Pork vs Beef, back fat vs belly fat, Tallow etc. I don't see any listing besides Grassland but as the product must be cooked to sell it won't be 'real' pemmican as in NA pemmican
Cree Nation how too:

Last Edited:
I made some in my Scout days as I recall there is an issue with the type of lard used as some fat hardens much more than others. Pork vs Beef, back fat vs belly fat, Tallow etc. I don't see any listing besides Grassland but as the product must be cooked to sell it won't be 'real' pemmican as in NA pemmican
Cree Nation how too:
erudne, thanks for the video. Now if I can only get a deer or an elk, I will give it a try. :D

Lots of pemmican recipe's on the internet. We used beef fat or real lard. We used tuna fish cans for molds. Now days I would vacuum bag them. Two per bag. Ground corn, ground jerky, assortment of ground up nuts. Grind up some regular Corn Nuts, already roasted and salted. All the ingredients need to be dried for long shelf life.
This would be the original MRE.

erudne, thanks for the video. Now if I can only get a deer or an elk, I will give it a try. :D

Goat meat is like deer meat....the whole reason to add lard is because game meat is so lean the lard is needed to encapsulate the protein and sugars, sealing it away from oxygen which would ruin the mix.
It's my personal belief that pemmican was used mainly along trade routes by young males as they went through various villages under the guise of carrying trade goods but with the ulterior motive of displaying their physical qualities to the young ladies along the route whom they would meet in the fall of that year at the big inter tribal ho-down

A Recipe For Making Pemmican

Here is a recipe you can use if you want to try making your own supply of pemmican.

1. Take two pounds of beef and cut it into small strips.
2. Prepare the beef by either;
a. Cooking it very well and letting it dry until it is hard, or
b. Putting the beef in the sun until it is very dry.
3. Crush the beef by either
a. Pounding it with a hammer until it turns into a powder, or
b. Putting it through a meat grinder.
4. Add about one half-cup of raisins for each pound of beef. (Other
....berries can also be used if you prefer - like chokecherries, ....raspberries or currants.)
5. Put the ground beef and berries into a pie plate and pour hot beef fat
or sheep fat on top until the beef and berries are covered. Be careful!
Hot fat can cause very bad burns.

6. Stir the hot fat, ground beef and berries together until the fat begins to
get hard.
7. Let the mixture cool and cut it into squares just like you would fudge. It
better to make a little more pemmican than you think you need.
Remember, pemmican does not spoil. The pemmican you make will
not spoil for two or three years if you take care to keep it as cool and
dry as possible.

Taku
TYVM
excellent recipe

Yep I hope someone told em pemmican tastes like crap ROFLOL, but it will keep you alive and nourished.
That is all fact, even the crap part. It will last a long time but it gets rancid :) But again it will keep ya fed and is high energy.

Yep I hope someone told em pemmican tastes like crap ROFLOL, but it will keep you alive and nourished.
That is all fact, even the crap part. It will last a long time but it gets rancid :) But again it will keep ya fed and is high energy.
Yep
I figure all those east coast experts, from 100 years back are just that, silly barking dogs.
When I was a young child I made some Bannock, my mum was horrified, especially because I was yung
I do appreciate your family recipie,,, That is good=to go!

Been looking for some long term shelf stable pemmican to order. Want it for my food stores and GHB.
Only place I've found is <broken link removed>
Although sounds good, freezing is not what I'm looking for.
Anyone have a source? I will experiment with making some, but want to have manufactured and packaged stuff on hand as I learn.
I'm new to the area but I make and sell pemmican, I make it Crow style same way my grandma did I don't know anything about how other tribes do it or people but it doesn't taste bad but sweet my kids like it and it sells good back home I use deer meat from the bighorn mountain get ahold of me through here I would love to get a new batch out again!

I'm new to the area but I make and sell pemmican, I make it Crow style same way my grandma did I don't know anything about how other tribes do it or people but it doesn't taste bad but sweet my kids like it and it sells good back home I use deer meat from the bighorn mountain get ahold of me through here I would love to get a new batch out again!
Hello, I would love to try some of your pemmican. Looking for source to purchase. Thx

We are currently selling a relatively shelf stable version of pemmican, you can find the link for ordering at: RealPemmican.com . It contains fruit, nuts and honey though the main ingredients are grass-fed beef and tallow. It is not shelf stable for very long periods but we can easily produce a strictly traditional meat and tallow only variety that should last for a very long time, especially with our new vacuum packaging machine. Doing it that way requires more meat and would cost more but we are moving our operations to the West Coast this year and will be vastly expanding our dehydrating capacity using a more traditional technique which should make a strictly traditional pemmican product easier to produce.

Edit: Although pemmican was reputed to last for years it's probably not best to count on that, I don't believe that native peoples really expected it to last more then until the next spring, even when made without berries. Like most provisions it's best to keep eating it and cycle through your stores every year or so. You might be better off stockpiling tallow, you can always combine it with any lean, wild game you harvest or use to fry root vegetables.

Last Edited:
We are currently selling a relatively shelf stable version of pemmican, you can find the link for ordering at: RealPemmican.com . It contains fruit, nuts and honey though the main ingredients are grass-fed beef and tallow. It is not shelf stable for very long periods but we can easily produce a strictly traditional meat and tallow only variety that should last for a very long time, especially with our new vacuum packaging machine. Doing it that way requires more meat and would cost more but we are moving our operations to the West Coast this year and will be vastly expanding our dehydrating capacity using a more traditional technique which should make a strictly traditional pemmican product easier to produce.

Edit: Although pemmican was reputed to last for years it's probably not best to count on that, I don't believe that native peoples really expected it to last more then until the next spring, even when made without berries. Like most provisions it's best to keep eating it and cycle through your stores every year or so. You might be better off stockpiling tallow, you can always combine it with any lean, wild game you harvest or use to fry root vegetables.

So what do you think your product will last for? Based on your edit I am guessing just a few months?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top