Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to buy muzzleloaders...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by shibbershabber, Jan 29, 2013.

1. shibbershabber

shibbershabber Vancouver Well-Known Member

Im wondering about muzzleloaders again... maybe I just want to get before the anti-gun crowd comes for them :paranoid:

Anyhow, I dont see many for sale.

I know I can go buy one for however many hundreds of dollars from Cabelas or some other high-priced venue... but I never see them in the classifieds here or on any other boards.

Any ideas?

2. tpigskin

tpigskin Olympia, WA New Member

Are you looking for traditional or modern? There are many active traditional ML clubs in Western WA, and a number of excellent builders.

3. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

DON'T DO IT! The more traditional form of muzzleloading is very addicting!

tpigskin and (deleted member) like this.
  4. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

My name is Tahoe2 and I'm an addict !! firearms 104.jpg LMAO
    got that one off gunbroker.com for $100 bucks a couple years ago, mailed right
    to my front door, cause it's a muzzleloader. just type in the word "hawken"

firearms 104.jpg

5. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Largest black powder / muzzleloader gun shop west of the Mississippi just happens to be in Springfield Oregon. Owners Joe and Suzi are dear people and Joe has harvested big game from around the world including elephant with a traditional muzzleloader. They're getting up there in age but are definitely a treasure chest of experience and knowledge. Muzzleloading hasn't been the same since the mid to late 70's to early 80's when it was in its hayday.

If you want to kick it up a notch in experience and price tag try Black Powder Cartridge Rifles!!!!

6. shibbershabber

shibbershabber Vancouver Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...

This would be my second time around with the MLs... had a sell-off a couple years back.

Time to get into it again!

7. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

Spitpatch and (deleted member) like this.
  8. spitball

spitball Steilacoom Member

Once you start you will be hooked! Nothing is more fun than going to a busy range where everyone is "spraying and praying" and touching off a a giant cloud of white smoke that floats down the entire line :) I have a set of .44 Colt Walkers I have been shooting for over 20 years and would never consider selling. I watched "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when I was 8 years old and that was it. If you are interested in purchasing a BP revolver, I have several that are unfired. I am selling a .44 Dragoon, (2) 1860 Navy .44s, an 1860 "police .44 w/a fluted cylinder and s .36 Nord, Confederate Navy all 6 shot cap and ball. They are beautiful in design and far more fun to shoot than any auto-loader.

"Endeavor to persevere" Chief Dan George

9. Bravo4

Bravo4 Polk County, OR Member

10. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I got my last one from gunbroker. Shipped right to my door, no FFL needed. Prices are still reasonable. But....my grey hawk is a assault muzzleloader, it has a black stock so it is more dangerous than wood stocks guns. My government told me so..... ;)

11. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

This is one of the first things you see upon entering my house and the message should be obvious. The gun? Older ASM .36 Navy sold by CVA. The knife was my late brother's. He skinned may a deer and elk with it. With regard to where to buy +1 on the Gun Room in Springfield. A good friend of mine does a lot of stock work for the owner. Hopefully you can find a good outlet closer to you but as Dan said the interest in muzzleloading isn't nearly what it used to be. Pawn shops always seem to have a good supply of MLs on hand but be careful with buying used unless you know exactly what to look for. A neglected ML can be ruined in a very short amount of time.
    BOR.jpg

BOR.jpg