Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to buy gold and silver?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by sneakboxer, Feb 25, 2013.

1. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I'm looking to augment my savings/investments/preps with some shiny metal other than lead. I'm a complete novice in this department. There seems to be way too many options and prices. I'd like to avoid getting screwed and acquire something of investment value both for the current world and something to barter with if need be. What are some good forms of silver and gold and who have you bought it from with success? I think i could start with $500 to $3000 initially.
    Thanks for you help in advance,

2. Stepside2000

Stepside2000 Vancouver Member

I personally like to invest in silver eagles or the old silver dollars. I've had many good dealings with Liberty Coin and Currency in vancouver, wa. I've sold some gold and have bought silver eagles and 1oz bullion coins from them. I've also bought silver online from a company called American precious metals exchange (Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com) and they carry quite a bit of both old silver and gold coinage and bar and coin bullion in various sizes. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the spot value of whichever metal you want to invest in. Good luck

3. wolfcreek

wolfcreek Redmond Member

I've had good experiences with APMEX

4. lucifermonkey

lucifermonkey Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Coinflation.com will give you silver melt value per coin. Morgan and Peace dollars usually go for slightly more than these prices though. Otherwise I would go with Silver Eagles (about $3-4 each over current silver/oz price). You can also get 10 oz. bars. AJPM.com (location in downtown Portland) has good prices on just about everything. They have a lot of gold and silver in stock most of the time too. Good luck!

Also, do your research on "fakes", especially Morgan dollars and Silver Eagles. Don't get burned.

5. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

6. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I would not pay the premium that they ask for Silver Eagles. I would only buy silver rounds and only in 1oz size. When the time comes to sell your silver or trade with it, you will not get more for it just because it is a Eagle or a Maple. An oz of silver is an oz of silver.
    I would not get anything bigger than 1oz because you can always use 10 single oz coins if need be, but you cannot just cut a piece of a 10 or 100 oz bar. Not easily and precisely enough.

Another good alternative is 'junk silver' - old us coins that are 90% silver.

I have bought from and been happy with PMs from APMEX and Lear. I always check their pricing before choosing which one to buy from. APMEX has a much better selection but Lear usually has better price on silver rounds.

7. Retread

Retread Not to far from Salem, OR Member

I've bought and sold thousands in silver coins at Buy gold coins, Canadian maple leaf, krugerrands and silver coins from your gold dealer, MJPM.COM in Corvallis, some transactions small and some large. These folks have always been more than fair and they willing to teach the real truth about precious metals. They understand both investing and prepping. I cannot say this about any other source in NW Oregon. Study their website and learn.

I highly recommend pre 1965 US coins. If SHTF silver dimes and quarters will be worth a premium (then) for their smaller value to make change in transactions because so many will only have 1 ounce rounds worth $30 or so today.

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

9. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

aaametals.com sometimes they have a line cause they only help 1-2 people at a time, but well worth it, every coin I bought was immaculate.

10. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

a good way to get some old silver coins would be to check your change before you put it away or re-spend it. every couple of months i find a silver quarter. it wont get you what youre looking for but its good to keep in mind.

11. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

I buy from the Northwest territorial mint. nwtmint.com No matter where you go expect to pay $3-$4 over spot price. If you go to there website they have the current spot that updates every couple minutes for gold, silver, palladium, and platinum. I like to buy the stage coach silver bullion. They come in 1ounce bars and rounds and on the back side are divisible into 1/4 ounce pieces... pre set to break in half. So they work good for saving or if bartering ever comes. I live close by so i go to there store, but they do have the online store too. I have heard of people getting finding good deals on Ebay before too, but I have never tried it.

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Mattofsmatt

Mattofsmatt Portland Member

Affordable jewelry & precious metals in the greater Portland area. Rodney is the owner and is often at the downtown location. They have been in business for some time. They have up to the minute prices on thier web page ajpm.com . Some of the newer guys will be happy to hold your hand if you are unsure of what to buy. I have never found lower prices, thier over spot premium (right now anyway) is +$1.25 on silver buffaloes. That's pretty dang good.

13. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Tagged for reference

14. mccullogh

mccullogh NW Oregon Member

The pre 1964 silver dimes and quarters are a good way to start out. It is easily recognizable and it's the lowest premium to buy. You can call and get a price for "junk silver" pretty easy then you know what it looks like when you get there. There is no fear it is a fake at this time. After a couple of purchases you will have an idea which shop you trust and want to do more business with.

Coinflation.com shows the composition of the coins and a current value.
    Kitco.com will show you the current spot price.

15. sneakboxer

Thanks to everyone! There is something about writing a big check to a internet company and waiting weeks for a possible counterfeit item honestly scared me a little bit. I think I'm going to buy in person the first time then use some of these recommended sellers.

I received 30lbs of lead in the mail today and the wife thought it was the silver i was talking about. I said i wish it was silver!

16. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

17. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

You could take the $500 and use it to buy half dollars at the bank, crack open the rolls and look for silver coins the feds missed, would seem to be a low risk of expanding ones stock.

18. sneakboxer

As it turns out there is a coin shop in downtown Astoria. The owner is a retired Coast Guard Chief and spent about an hour showing me the different silver options with zero pressure to buy. I did get some shiny silver and at $1.75 over spot i think i made out since i did not have to pay for shipping or buy gas to get to portland. If your in A-town you might want to check him out clatsopcoin.com | Astoria, Oregon Coin Dealer .
    Thanks again for the help,

19. iJake

iJake VANCOUVER New Member

20. Working 4 U

Working 4 U Eugene Active Member

I to have ordered online from them, my only problem was they want the cash within 10 days and they wait for it to clear (check) and they said it will be 90 days before it ships, then on the 90th day they said it would be another 90 days. I was informed by them and I could of changed or cancelled my order, but the wait was too long. I cant imagine the wait now that silver is down.