JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been tempted by the cheapo $100 junk pistols at times. They seem like they could be a whole lot of fun. I wouldn't get one in anything other than .22LR. 25ACP is too expensive to shoot out of a junk gun, and I'd avoid the ones in .32 auto, .380, or 9mm for safety reasons. Figure if the gun blows up, injury is less likely if it's .22LR.

Exactly. It's why I want a JA-22 sometime soon. The Rohm-14s needs to be retired before I lose a pinky :D

Hm...
I bought an 'El Cheapo' FIE .22LR revolver here... Week after I bought it, the pawl spring snapped. Risk you run with the crappy ones. Shoots straight, anyway... and the cylinder advances properly again. I had to make my own spring out of a bit of scrap metal I had around. Cut myself pretty good getting the little bugger in there, though.

And the inside of the gun just looks appalling. There's at least one part that snapped and was soldered back together. Looks like a factory job - broke in assembly and just stapled back together.

*shudder*

Fun to shoot, though.

Fun to shoot, though.

Now you know why they sell. My Raven shown here was bought for $50 plus fees 2 or 3 years ago. The Raven was considered "the best of the worst" and has some favorable write ups about them. Pot metal, schmot metal, they aren't range guns to put 10,000 rounds thru but they are fun and cheap and did I mention fun to shoot? Isn't that why we have these little things?

(note the wood grips instead of the cheap plastic. Very chic!)

Raven1.jpg

Years ago I had a POS auto. I couldn't hit a life size target at 7 yds. gave it to my sons wife (now ex-wife). I knew she couldn't hit him with it either (unless she used it as a club and it was too light for that)!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

c'm'on now, who hasn't had a little fun with cheapo beater guns here, blasting some rounds through a raven .25 then telling your friends with a laugh that the box of ammo you just went through cost 1/3rd what you paid for the gun

there were no holes in the target so it could be reused too!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Now you know why they sell. My Raven shown here was bought for $50 plus fees 2 or 3 years ago. The Raven was considered "the best of the worst" and has some favorable write ups about them. Pot metal, schmot metal, they aren't range guns to put 10,000 rounds thru but they are fun and cheap and did I mention fun to shoot? Isn't that why we have these little things?

I guess I'm still just not getting it. Are these more "fun to shoot" than a gun that functions well, doesn't have all the sharp edges, doesn't have poor ergonomics, and doesn't have crappy sights? Personally, I'd rather spend $400 on a gun that will reliably shoot 10,000 rounds than a gun I have to suffer through 500 or 1000 rounds for $50.

I guess I'm still just not getting it. Are these more "fun to shoot" than a gun that functions well, doesn't have all the sharp edges, doesn't have poor ergonomics, and doesn't have crappy sights? Personally, I'd rather spend $400 on a gun that will reliably shoot 10,000 rounds than a gun I have to suffer through 500 or 1000 rounds for $50.

I dunno that there's much to get. It's sort of like a lot of people that are into pinhole photography. Part of the fun is in the novelty.

I guess I'm still just not getting it. Are these more "fun to shoot" than a gun that functions well, doesn't have all the sharp edges, doesn't have poor ergonomics, and doesn't have crappy sights?

I've wondered about that too. People excuse poor accuracy because "It's just for plinking", but when I'm plinking I want to hit the target, otherwise I may develop bad sight picture habits. There is no advantage to an inaccurate gun in my view.
Contrast that to a Ruger .22, which is extremely accurate and doesn't cost more than $4-600 and will shoot literally millions of rounds.

Little cheapies have a place. Some of them can be worked over to be more reliable with some small files, a little steel wool etc. They are cheap enough, and if you like pocket poppers, or tinkering... why not? It's not like you're expecting it to outperform anything... just something to have fun with.

This is my el-cheapo... bought it the other day for kicks. .22 is cheap... the gun is cheap... puts a grin on my face without breaking the bank. Though I think this is one of the older ones, before they moved over to using the Zinc alloy. There is very little that you can get out there for under $100... but at least it is fun enough. Most people who have a fun junk gun, also have fun good guns too. :s0112:

View attachment 202491

That's the first I've heard of them not using Zamak, I assume you believe they used aluminum die cast before? One could use a flame test, scrape a sliver of it from under the grip and put it in a little torch flame, if it burns blue green it's likely zinc. Lye will dissolve either zinc or aluminum, so that's not a good test.
I really suspect they were always made of Zamak.

I just picked up a Sterling .25 auto from Phathom the other day. Looks like it will satisfy my crappy gun obsession for a bit. It actually seems like one of the nicer cheapo guns I could have found...it's all stainless, and the girlfriend loves it because it's just so darn cute! Can't wait to get it out and shoot it for the first time, see if I can hit anything over ten yards...but if not, seems like a good glovebox/tacklebox gun.

Anyone ever owned a Sterling 300 .25 auto? Thoughts, input?

Thanks

I've wondered about that too. People excuse poor accuracy because "It's just for plinking", but when I'm plinking I want to hit the target, otherwise I may develop bad sight picture habits. There is no advantage to an inaccurate gun in my view.

Au contrere, an inaccurate gun may shoot 4" groups instead of 3" or 3" instead of 2, etc. All shooters want to hit where they aim so these fun little cheap guns actually make you concentrate harder and develop better habits, not worse. They are fun because they are cheap and the ammo is cheap and you actually get to be a better shooter.

Contrast that to a Ruger .22, which is extremely accurate and doesn't cost more than $4-600

For that kind of money you can buy any number of full size (not .22) guns. The purpose of the cheapos is that they are cheap and you still get to shoot more often. On my range visits, I shoot 100 rounds of .22 as a warm up for the "real" guns. Like I said, they instill good habits, not bad, and finding one for under $100 makes it affordable for those who don't have $400-$600 to spend on a .22. Win/win.

I could ALMOST understand it IF you are talking .22lr, where the ammo is cheaper. But when you are talking about .25,.32,.380 the ammo is MORE than 9mm, not to mention harder to find. Then again if you are talking about a $100 .22 I'll take my $250 Browning Buckmark every time. But then again, I'll always buy a Chevy (or better) rather than 2 Kia's or Hyundai's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top