JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw "Lamp Oil" at Lowes last year.... but it might be a seasonal thing (although contrary to the weather lately, it is supposed to be summer time coming and I'd think it would be "in season" now...)

They had it in the "garden section" near the Tiki torches etc.

Wow, I guess I "misstated" ;)

Apparently, liquid paraffin is just a marketing ploy by scammers to get you to pay more for highly refined Kerosene. I found this out...

"Perhaps one of the biggest jokes in the world is "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil," priced at about $20.00 per gallon. As few people these days have any familiarity with the history of lamps, their design, or their fuel, they actually buy "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" to burn in kerosene lamps. The lamps were all basically designed before 1890 to burn coal oil, so they are still called "oil lamps" even though coal oil was replaced by kerosene well over 125 years ago. But some marketing genius realized that kerosene is called "paraffin" in England, but by that name is a solid waxy substance in the US, so why not call clear kerosene "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" and fleece the unwary? It worked! I've seen people buying "Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" for $19.95 a gallon!!! Spending real money to ruin a perfectly good lamp."

So it looks like oil lamps really do only burn Kerosene. Glad this thread inspired me to do a little research.

Here is a primer on Kerosene fuel:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_fuel_primer.html

Check out Ankeny Hardware on 1134 SE Stark in Portland phone 503-234-6110. It is a 1950 Hardware store that time has forgotten. A refreshing oasis in a ubber modern metropolitan. The store actually belongs down here in Red Neck Linn County rather than in PDX.

They are an Aladdin Lamp dealer and have several different types of lamp fuels. When I was there they had 5 gal drums of the stuff.

Excellent information! Thanks for getting me thinking about this too. I checked our "parafin oil" supply and see we got hosed on it also. Stupid and I should have known better. We only use our lamps when we are without power... usually a couple of times a year... but now know something we didn't about "lamp oil" kerosene and won't overpay again. :)

For me, I am not in a hurry to buy one big bulk bucket. Instead my supply is topped off each year about this time via garage sales. It seems every garage collects those quart sized jars only to be sold later at 5 to 25 cents. That's 20 cents to a dollar a gallon boys and girls. Put out the word to garage sale regulars and they will even do the work for you.

I also but them at garage sales, and them pour them into a glass gallon wine jug and seal the top down tight, The plastic bottles will degrade and leak after a number of years, I also buy the 5 gallon cans at any ace hardware store and always keep a couple in the garage.

Well, as silly as this will sound... I've never thought about getting a Kerosene lamp and I even remember my folks having a few around when we lived up in the mountains. Sheesh some days I amaze myself.

Anyway, I was wondering if those of you who have gone this path before have always opted for a camping stove that would run off of Kerosene and if so do you have any recommendations. Just thinking it would be nice to have one fuel type to worry about.

-d

coleman duel fuel might be worth a look. I just picked up a propane adaptor so I can run just about anything through it (and propane never goes bad as long as you dont have a leak). I also got a back packing stove that will run on just about anything liquid that will burn.

I actually have a collection of lanterns and a few oil lamps too. K-1 kerosene is the proper fuel and will burn about 50% brighter than anything sold as lamp oil. If you've never used kerosene in an oil lamp, I think you'll be shocked at the difference. you'll need a new wick though. Once a wick has absorbed lamp oil, it's pretty much ruined. A few old oil lamps for indoor use and an old Dietz lantern for outdoors and your set.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top