JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Me need um' black stuff to make pow pow.

Where to buy? Is this sold in-store at bimart, sportsman's warehouse, cabelas, other? I assume online they charge u for hazardous shipping? Would like to get bullets caps powder wads and some sort of measure all in one place in store if that's possible. I don't know jack about BP so appreciate any feedback. Thx!

You will need :

Black Powder...
A flask or horn....
A powder measure....
Caps ( #10 , #11 or Musket )
Flints...if you get a flint lock....stay away from "cut" flint...use knapped English or French flints....

Wads...?
Are you using a shotgun...then you need wads if shooting shot...
Some folks use a proper size wad with revolvers....

Patches...
Round ball or bullets...
A bag to carry all of the above in....

A better way for me to start....

What are you wanting to shoot...?
A muzzle loading rifle has different needs that a muzzle loading shotgun...
A cap and ball revolver also will need different fixin's...
Andy

For the Remington you will need :

Black powder....either 2F or 3F...both will work ....
A flask with a 24 grain spout...
# 10 caps seem to work the best for most revolvers....that said you can use #11's...might need to give the caps a pinch to fit...
.451 or .454 round ball or bullets...
( whichever fits best , kinda like the deal with the caps...some guns like one...some the other.....)
Some folks like to use a greased felt wad between the powder and the ball.....
Grease for the cylinder face...

As for the where...
The Gun Works out of Springfield OR...
Dixie GunWorks...
October Country....
Track of the Wolf....
Are all good places to mail order the above.

And yes you will have to pay for Haz-Mat in regards to black powder shipping.....
Andy

For the Remington you will need :

Black powder....either 2F or 3F...both will work ....
A flask with a 24 grain spout...
# 10 caps seem to work the best for most revolvers....that said you can use #11's...might need to give the caps a pinch to fit...
.451 or .454 round ball or bullets...
( whichever fits best , kinda like the deal with the caps...some guns like one...some the other.....)
Some folks like to use a greased felt wad between the powder and the ball.....
Grease for the cylinder face...

As for the where...
The Gun Works out of Springfield OR...
Dixie GunWorks...
October Country....
Track of the Wolf....
Are all good places to mail order the above.

And yes you will have to pay for Haz-Mat in regards to black powder shipping.....
Andy
Awesome thx!

i tried Dixie gunworks, October country, and track of the wolf and I can't find any black powder listed? I did searches for black powder, powder, 3f, fff, goex plus tried to find in their menus.

I don't get it, I remember buying black powder off the shelf for making kids bombs when I was little. I assumed it was easy to get.

GOEX is out of business...it has since been bought by ESTES of model rocket fame...but not in full production yet.
SWISS and Schutzen Powder are around...might try looking for those on-line.....
Andy

Sometimes its cheaper to buy in bulk...like 10 - 25 pounds....
Also worth considering , is that a pound of powder at 24 odd grains per shot...will last you awhile.
Andy
Yea it's kind of a choice of driving 2 hours to Springfield vs overpaying for shipping. With gas and time overpaying for shipping makes more sense. But it burns my arse to overpay for shipping ha ha. Oh well. 1st world problems I guess. On the other hand, I'm tempted to drive to Springfield just to talk to someone who knows about muzzleloaders. I always learn a ton when talking to knowledgeable folks with lots of experience. Fe buying a suppressor from tornado technologies, a learned a ton from talking to Mike there which ends of saving tons of trial and error down the road.

Yea it's kind of a choice of driving 2 hours to Springfield vs overpaying for shipping. With gas and time overpaying for shipping makes more sense. But it burns my arse to overpay for shipping ha ha. Oh well. 1st world problems I guess. On the other hand, I'm tempted to drive to Springfield just to talk to someone who knows about muzzleloaders. I always learn a ton when talking to knowledgeable folks with lots of experience. Fe buying a suppressor from tornado technologies, a learned a ton from talking to Mike there which ends of saving tons of trial and error down the road.
The high cost of shipping is because of the hazmat fee of around $25 added to powder shipments. You'll pay the same fee for a pound as you do for a 25 lb. case, so if you're serious you should buy a case, or at least 1 lbs. Then you can sell whatever you don't need to buddies and recoup the fees.
I buy mine from Buffalo Arms Co., but everyone is short on BP currently, so I just sign up for their "notify me" list, and they send an email when they get some in. I got a 25 lb. case last fall after getting on their list just a few weeks earlier.

I've seen it recently on the shelf at Cabela's, Sportsmans, and a few local stores. I have seen it online, but as you know shipping and hazmat suck. ;)

Have seen FF substitute at sportsman's and one local shop but no FFF. But no one anywhere has caps. Spent a long time looking for them (many local stores and 8-10 online stores) and gave up. Maybe some day they will be available to buy again.

The high cost of shipping is because of the hazmat fee of around $25 added to powder shipments. You'll pay the same fee for a pound as you do for a 25 lb. case, so if you're serious you should buy a case, or at least 1 lbs. Then you can sell whatever you don't need to buddies and recoup the fees.
I buy mine from Buffalo Arms Co., but everyone is short on BP currently, so I just sign up for their "notify me" list, and they send an email when they get some in. I got a 25 lb. case last fall after getting on their list just a few weeks earlier.
25 lb? Holy moly. Midway has hodgen 777 FFF for $47 per pound. Must be a big discount for bulk I assume.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top