JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't seen a store that would let you "Buy in bulk" in over a year.

I spent the year keeping an eye out for 22lr for Christmas presents for the family. After a year's worth of searching (Including once standing in line for 3 hours on Thursday morning outside Wholesale Sports. I managed to buy 12 boxes of 50rd Remington target junk, and 2 boxes of 333rds (@ an insane $35 per box!) of Winchester 22lr.

I shot a lot of archery this year, and more 30.06 and .223 than 22lr ironically.

I'm still not convinced that it's hoarding, or price gouging... but I also find it really hard to believe millions of rounds are being produced by anybody. Maybe they are, but it still doesn't seem so. It almost feels like there's some sort of "OPEC" group controlling production to hike prices. (I'm sure there's not, but we're all speculating anyway.)

I heard somewhere about a year ago that the ammo producers didn't want to ramp up production because they did that in 2008 and got stuck in a lurch when demand dropped suddenly.

After a yearlong drought I'd say it's safe to assume the demand would keep up with a ramped up production schedule for 22lr for at least another year.

-Lots of new gun owners buying ammo
-kids got shot at school, Obama talked, people got scared
-everyone sees everyone else buying all of it and they in turn want to but all of it
-You can sell it for more than you bought it for (some people like to make money this way)

I wish I had kept a diary or log of the insane Anti-Gun things that have happened over the last year.

"Obama talked, people got scared" doesn't even come CLOSE to scratching the surface of the cause behind the hysteria, panic and paranoia we currently live under.

I didn't keep a log, but here's what I can remember off the top of my head.

- New laws were passed making millions of people with over a 7 round capacity on their handguns felons, with penalties worse than child molesters.
- An enlisted man walking in the wilderness in boar country with his son with an AR-15 strapped to his chest was wrongfully arrested and his son was subjected to 3 hours of unlawful interrogation in the back seat of a police car.
- A man from New York faces 2 years in prison because after a phone call from a bitter ex-wife, and 3 hours of horribly damaging searches the army of cops present found 2 expended pieces of brass from a few years prior (recreational) shooting in Virginia.
- Kid chews pop-tart into "Gun shape" and gets suspended.
- Deaf kid is no longer allowed to sign his name because his name is "Hunter" and he would have to make "Gun fingers" which are banned.
- Girl with bubble blowing gun suspended.
- Child with Lego gun on school bus suspended.
- Man on East Coast almost raided, sits on the phone with his lawyer to prevent police from illegally searching his home because of Facebook photo of his child standing outside his home with his rifle.
- Several prominent people in the firearms industry begin dying of gunshots and/or exploding vehicles...
- "Military drills" involving black helicopters and firing drills over cities in Texas and Florida without being announced
- DHS orders target posters to shoot at depicting pregnant women, old men and children labeled the "No more hesitation" line. Recalled after public outrage.
- Internal government (The people you would expect to defend and interact with only American citizens and not overseas) orders enough hollow-point ammunition to fight an Iraq-style war for 30 years.
- New laws passed in California broadening the "Probable cause" for outright removing people's 2nd amendment rights allows police to go door-to-door confiscating firearms, in many cases from perfectly law abiding citizens. (These raids often came in the form of police phoning someone to tell them their car was broken into or child was hurt and then being swarmed once lured from their homes.)
- Some kids (Allegedly) make a small bomb at the Boston marathon and tanks roll along the streets of Boston under martial law (You can use the new "Shelter in Place" term, but it's martial law...)

The list would go on and on and on and on if I had been keeping a log of it.

The point is, our own government has become the biggest tinfoil hat wearing bunch of nut jobs since Humphrey Bogart was certain someone had been stealing strawberries from the footlocker.
The Caine Mutiny

So that's why 22lr has been hard to find.

Don't if this will help you. Try Sportsman Supply in Butler, PA I bought 1000 rounds there this past July. He had cases stacked all over the floor. They will not ship store pickup only.

Yup I was bragging a bit. My point would be maybe you should have stocked up when it was good. Ammo for the most part is like gas it goes up and down in price but in the long run it just goes up. For as long as I can remember if I had a few bucks I would go to bi mart and pick up some ammo here and there. Not a lot but some. That way when it runs out which happens now and then, because of supply and demand you have some to shoot. I don't have to go buy ammo from the *** hats that are reselling the ammo for stupid prices. Or going to 10 bi-marts on the weekend to go plinking.

My Ruger 10/22 seems to prefer CCI Mini-Mag ammunition, bit have also had difficulty getting resupplies. We live in interesting times, and I hope this storm passes. In truth, I can't afford to shoot some of my equipment in the volume I enjoyed before. My .45 ACP isn't gathering dust, but I review the past 12 months of use and it doesn't compare to the previous year(s). I handload my centerfire cartridges but can't find the components I relied upon in the past. A firearm without ammunition is a dust-collector, and I may have to reassess my shooting priorities.

I did find a Bulk Pak 525 rounds brass plated hollow points for $25.99 tonight.
Fred Meyer had one box. They will work for plinking at the 50' range

Oh, I have and did hoard CCI. I just can't believe the Bastd's are jacking the price's up for double and triple what we paid before Obama. And the supply has dried up!

100_8238_zps3c44b423.jpg

I have some to shoot. I did like you did. Everytime I was in a store that had a good price on 22LR I'd buy. Not alot but, slowly I built a small stockpile. I can't get over the price gouging and lack of supply.

Yup I was bragging a bit. My point would be maybe you should have stocked up when it was good. Ammo for the most part is like gas it goes up and down in price but in the long run it just goes up. For as long as I can remember if I had a few bucks I would go to bi mart and pick up some ammo here and there. Not a lot but some. That way when it runs out which happens now and then, because of supply and demand you have some to shoot. I don't have to go buy ammo from the *** hats that are reselling the ammo for stupid prices. Or going to 10 bi-marts on the weekend to go plinking.

Not looking like this is going to ever get back to 'normal'. I have had an order for 5000 22lr at the CMP for a year now. Logged in to check the status and here is what one of the admins had posted:

"AMMUNITION UPDATE. The CMP has been notified by ammunition manufacturers and distributors to expect price increases and significant delivery delays for all calibers of ammunition, especially for .22 rimfire. The price increases and delays apply to orders we have already placed with the manufacturers. Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order.
"

Yep, YEARS.
WTF?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR