JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am still using primers in 100 rd tray with 15cent price tag on them, and one pound cans of powder that have a $1.78 tag... All stuff my grandfather purchased and never used it all. Glad he bought extra!

Boolits are all cast so they are cheap...

Nice, maybe half should be shared as I got you looking. Haha really though that is a sweet find right now. Bi-Mart seems to be very hit or miss on primers but I do not worry about a short supply of Aspirin as Costco is my favorite grocery store. Fishermans in Tigard seems to be luckier for me as far as primers when I stop by around lunch time when their truck comes in.

I am still using primers in 100 rd tray with 15cent price tag on them, and one pound cans of powder that have a $1.78 tag... All stuff my grandfather purchased and never used it all. Glad he bought extra!

Boolits are all cast so they are cheap...

I have a bunch, and I mean several thousand primers that I have had for years, I guess the oldest ones would be from around the '70's, they have always been in fairly dry conditions, a loading room with the heater set at 50 deg. or so, and now, in my shop. while unheated, all my loading tools, table saws, and other metal items show no sign of rust, I'm somewhat concerned now about using the primers.

Handgun loads don't worry me, most are cast, and if I had a bad primer, and get a stuck bullet, they are pretty easy to remove.

Copper jacketed rifle bullets stuck in the bore are more problematic to remove, you just can't drive them out, you about have to have a piloted drill to drill out the core, and then drive them out with a range rod.

Any advice, since you have been using pretty old primers, and having success??

I have a bunch, and I mean several thousand primers that I have had for years, I guess the oldest ones would be from around the '70's, they have always been in fairly dry conditions, a loading room with the heater set at 50 deg. or so, and now, in my shop. while unheated, all my loading tools, table saws, and other metal items show no sign of rust, I'm somewhat concerned now about using the primers.

Handgun loads don't worry me, most are cast, and if I had a bad primer, and get a stuck bullet, they are pretty easy to remove.

Copper jacketed rifle bullets stuck in the bore are more problematic to remove, you just can't drive them out, you about have to have a piloted drill to drill out the core, and then drive them out with a range rod.

Any advice, since you have been using pretty old primers, and having success??

They are fine if kept dry and stable temp.
If you are worried, just select about 5 out of the box and load and fire in an empty cartridge and you will be able to tell if the go pop :)
I have used some from the early 60's within the last 6 yrs or so and they were fine.

I have used some primers from the 40's and 50's, never had one not work. All have been stored in a very dry basement and a heated house in ammo cans. Had a bunch I found in a paper bag that fell behind a bench in the early 60's, those were in a unheated shop for 40 years. In a bag from gi joes I think. They all worked...

Good advice, thanks all.
I've been loading for quite a few years, since 1976, when I bought a .41 Mag. Ruger, and the gunshop had a deal on a reloading setup, $100 for press, scale, measure, dies of my choice, and a Speer number 8 manual.
Several moves over the years caused me to keep shuttling the loading stuff, and being busy doing other things, I stopped loading.
I think I have around 20 some calibers I have loaded for, and have dies for, but just recently started to have a little time to start up again.
I DID take some shotgun primers and load them into WWAA hulls, they all seemed to go pop just fine.
Now, due to your advice, I'll try a few out of a couple of boxes of rifle and pistol primers...

Just how do you load 1000rds for $20? Primers alone would be more powder alone would be more and even making your own lead would be, so please enlighten us, or are you just being "ghey"
I bought a few new primers not long ago for $17/1000 (Tulammo) and Promo $84/8lbs. I've always had a lot of lead.. it is fairly inert.. and cases I have had/scrounge etc.

Seriously! If companies are cranking it out 24/7 then where the bloody hell is it all?!?!?!?! I need some!

At the gun shows I ask some of the venders that sell 22 ammo where they get them from, they tell me every bi-mart and wal-mart they can get to then bring it to the gun shows to resell doubling their profits. These vendors I ask don't have regular jobs so that is their job. Yes a sad state of affairs

Well, last week I managed to score a couple hundred rounds of Remington Yellow Jacket. Not optimal as I'd much rather have regular old plinking rounds, but still better than nothing I guess.

Well, last week I managed to score a couple hundred rounds of Remington Yellow Jacket. Not optimal as I'd much rather have regular old plinking rounds, but still better than nothing I guess.
I have been fortunate enough to have found .22 and have enough plinking but I do love using the stingers, yellow jacket sometimes as they are so clearly more accurate clean rounds. Although I have plenty of rounds I shoot very few even though I go out often. I used to unload a mag as fast as I could just to see how well i could rapid fire at my target but now I take my time and practice taking good clean shots. I will continue to shoot all my guns like that until I can go back into Bi mart or anywhere and walk out with everything I used to be able to at the old prices. I set up long range shots and make each round count to the best of my ability so I am never just spraying ammo these days. I see guys just rapid firing and missing the target by 5 feet next to me and wonder if they somehow have a incredibly huge stock or if they are not going to shooting for much longer. slow and often is better than out and never.

I have been fortunate enough to have found .22 and have enough plinking but I do love using the stingers, yellow jacket sometimes as they are so clearly more accurate clean rounds. Although I have plenty of rounds I shoot very few even though I go out often. I used to unload a mag as fast as I could just to see how well i could rapid fire at my target but now I take my time and practice taking good clean shots. I will continue to shoot all my guns like that until I can go back into Bi mart or anywhere and walk out with everything I used to be able to at the old prices. I set up long range shots and make each round count to the best of my ability so I am never just spraying ammo these days. I see guys just rapid firing and missing the target by 5 feet next to me and wonder if they somehow have a incredibly huge stock or if they are not going to shooting for much longer. slow and often is better than out and never.
Same here.
As fun as tilling dirt or "rapid firing" is with the (what used to be cheaper or super common) specific ammo.. Now we're to a point to where even the cheap or common stuff is crucial to ones overall cache.

Same here, used to blast .22 out of semi-autos for cheap fun. The ammo shortage helped motivate me to build a precision rimfire bolt gun which is great fun but in a different way.

IMG_0274.jpg

Cabelas Lacey had bricks when I was there a few weeks ago. I'm stocked up and pretty particular about 22 types so I didn't buy any

Maybe us preparedness people are not as nutty as our detractors suggest

2013_11_26_185_91ab8799a9cb20892c13.jpg

Man, I think I may just bury some .22 for you guys to find, like I did with the Pmag a year or so back.

Actually, yeah I think I will bury some Thanksgiving morning. :)
A 50 round CCI stinger pack and a 225 bulk pack of (Ill have to check the package)
Location to follow.

Wal Mart has been getting it. As long as you're ok without Mini-Mags. I was there Sunday morning to get targets for our shooting day and the guy at the counter told us he had .22LR in the back. It wasn't in the case, but he did offer them freely to us. Apparently they just weren't off the pallet yet. They weren't hiding them...supposedly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top